Lux et Umbra - A Priest Mechanics Guide

Priest
Prev 1 2 3 4 10 Next
You're welcome. :D

My goal is to explain how the game works with a very broad focus on priest class mechanics, rather than tell people how to play. Aliena wants to update both her holy and discipline guides (Both of which were solid guides for t10 content!) for Cataclysm and I'm pretty sure Zulander's guide will pop up again once we get closer to level 85 raiding, so I would worry more about getting to 85 among other things for now. Some class forums have some recently stickied guides, so hopefully they'll get to the priest forum. But don't worry, you'll see them in Cataclysm!
What do we do to get this stickied these days?
Awesome compilation, needs a sticky asap!
(2x - 1)/2y
x is the desired number of ticks
y is the number of ticks at 0% haste.

For Renew's 5th and 6th tick:
(2*5 - 1)/2*4 = 1.125
(2*6 - 1)/2*4 = 1.375

With 12.5% haste, the tick interval goes from 3 sec to 3 / 1.125 = 2.67 sec. Renew is 12 sec long, so with 2.67 sec ticks you'd get 12 / 2.67 = 4.5 ticks. Or a tick at 2.67, 5.33, 8.00, and 10.67 (4 ticks).

According my calculations, you'd actually need 25% haste to get an additional tick.

However, it should be noted that you actually do get an extra tick at 12.5% haste. I believe this occurs because when the buff expires, it will tick if the remaining time-until-tick is less than half. In other words, that "4.5 ticks" gets rounded up.
Just saw this... very much appreciate the time you put into it!! ThankyouThankyouThankyou :)
(2x - 1)/2y
x is the desired number of ticks
y is the number of ticks at 0% haste.

For Renew's 5th and 6th tick:
(2*5 - 1)/2*4 = 1.125
(2*6 - 1)/2*4 = 1.375

With 12.5% haste, the tick interval goes from 3 sec to 3 / 1.125 = 2.67 sec. Renew is 12 sec long, so with 2.67 sec ticks you'd get 12 / 2.67 = 4.5 ticks. Or a tick at 2.67, 5.33, 8.00, and 10.67 (4 ticks).

According my calculations, you'd actually need 25% haste to get an additional tick.

However, it should be noted that you actually do get an extra tick at 12.5% haste. I believe this occurs because when the buff expires, it will tick if the remaining time-until-tick is less than half. In other words, that "4.5 ticks" gets rounded up.

You do get the fifth and sixth ticks at 12.5% and 37.5%. I've actually tested those for myself ingame and it is briefly mentioned here. http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t105330-cataclysm_healing_priest_theorycrafting/p2/

That model also fits the shadow spells I've tested ingame.
You do get the fifth and sixth ticks at 12.5% and 37.5%. I've actually tested those for myself ingame and it is briefly mentioned here. http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t105330-cataclysm_healing_priest_theorycrafting/p2/

Which I noted. I probably quoted the wrong text, but what I was noting was how your description of haste's effect on HoT didn't match actual in-game performance - not that the 12.5%/37.5% numbers were incorrect.

Which I noted. I probably quoted the wrong text, but what I was noting was how your description of haste's effect on HoT didn't match actual in-game performance - not that the 12.5%/37.5% numbers were incorrect.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you very clearly said 25% total haste was a breakpoint, and it isn't. I'm not entirely sure which part of that subsection you're referring to, but I can probably guess.

The duration before haste is factored in isn't 12 seconds anymore when new ticks are added. That's not even possible when you have 5 ticks every 2.66-2.67 seconds. When you're just above that breakpoint, you'll see that Renew's duration goes up and above 12 seconds. In this case (Again before the haste is factored in), it goes up to 15.

15 / 1.125 = 13.3
13.3 / 5 = 2.66.

Or you could do it backwards:
3 / 1.125 = 2.6666...
2.66 * 5 = 13.3

There are multiple ways to do it but you get the same result (I realize this probably isn't the way the game rounds but that's another topic entirely).

Edit - I might have misread your post. I only changed my wording above so I didn't completely confuse you.
Bump.
Bump.

Oh hai.

With Mind Spike being introduced in Cataclysm, today I added in a brief explanation of dual elemental damage and how it pertains to resistance mechanics. It's not new or exciting, since frostfire damage has been around this entire expansion.
It's new and exciting to me, I never bothered to read much about mages!
Nysem's mine! Back off! <3
Thanks for the addition, Nysem! I love how there's so much information at our disposal in this thread. Positively amazing. ;D

Now if only the moderators would hurry up and stick this, mmph.
Druid forums have stickies... D:
STICKY!

and bump
With Cataclysm being tomorrow, I figure I should note that the spell power coefficients are outdated (Smite and Prayer of Healing are for sure after being hotfixed). I'll go through and update them when people are hitting 85 and going through heroics for their gear. I doubt anyone is going to be concerned with them before then.

I think from now on I'll put a "Good until" date on them.
Bump for Nysem's amazing hard work, even with some older coefficients for a while. ;)
Juuuuust what I was looking for, TY.
Bump.

I'm going to go through and update spellpower coefficients now.
Bump for Nysem.

These moderators will never get around to stickying these things, it seems. ><