I am absolutely BEGGING for an ability squish

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 40 Next
Do the big, bad numbers scare the wittle Shaman?

You read it wrong, he's talking about all the abilities. It's ridiculous that...

Shift 1-2-3-4-5-w-a-s-d-q-e-r-f-c-v
Alt 1-2-3
1-2-3-4-5-f-c-v-r-e-q-z
Ctrl V-C

Still isn't enough for all your abilities. Healers are almost forced to play with addons if they want to use all their abilities effectively.
Modifiers are the way of the future.

In fact everything the OP is asking for can be done with modifiers. For example, my most favorites:

/cast [nomod] Evasion
/cast [modifier:shift] Cloak of Shadows

or

/cast [nomod] Sprint
/cast [modifier:shift] Shadowstep

There's tons of ways to reduce button bloat while making you a better person in general. Don't you want to be a better person, op?

At least 4 of your heals can be turned into a single button. I don't see the problem.
Modifying would be so much easier as a PVE healer then someone shift/alt/ctrl'ing in PVP. Like you don't have the stress of smashing your keyboard apart while making it seem like you're creating the title sequence from the Matrix all over again.

A casual shift+ and all the sudden you have 8 of your abilities available to press within a single key/
To be honest, I like the idea of a lot of abilities. It's more interesting than just mashing the same three or four buttons over and over.

I just use my mouse to move, and set up 1-4 and f1-f4 (5 and f5 if needed) to my main rotation, and shift1-4 for major cds, other keys around my hand for utility/situational abilities.
Combining Curse of Shadows with Curse of the Elements, and Curse of Weakness with Curse of Tongues was about the extent of an ability squish that my class needed.

Maybe work on our movement and get rid of Fel Flame. It only became relevant again in 5.4

I'd agree with that. Everything else has it's uses and is based on priority and dot snapshotting, which sucks in a way that they're getting rid of it from an Affliction perspective.

Demo seems a bit clunky in terms of it's 'priority' based system and takes a bit ramp up I guess, but it really isn't something to complain about given past performance and potential.
There are definitely a few abilities that could be combined.

For example, they could combine Pick Lock with Disarm Trap and just call it Thief Tools or something. It would either pick a lock or disarm a trap depending what you clicked on.

I'd be in favor of making Slice and Dice a passive ability.

Look at paladin buffs. They have stats and mastery. But why not just have one spell that casts both? Have it work like the warlock buff and give two things with one spell.

Shaman have searing and magma totems, but why not combine them into something like Burning Totem which either does AOE or single target damage depending on how many enemies you're in combat with.

I dont want to lose any abilities. Just consolidate and refine.

Using modifiers = bad. Having to move your hand off of WASD = bad. I count about 33 keys on the keyboard you can reach without moving your hand when you exclude WASD and space (which are reserved for character movement). Where are you getting 42 from?

Nothing wrong with modifiers bro.

I use:
`,q,e,r,t,f,g,c,v
shift: `,q,e,r,t,f,g,c,v,3,4,5
ctrl: q,e,f,w,s,c,v,x,z,w,s,d,x,d
ctrl-!@#$:w
ctrl: 1-4 (for pet bar)

You sure in the hell don't need 42. That's just nonsense.

Image of my bars:

http://i.imgur.com/5HG4IKq.jpg

I use every single one. Only thing that gets swapped is Focus Fire (currently #9 on my main bar) for Symbiosis (currently Shift-E). As a BM hunter I don't find myself using Focus Fire all that often as my pet is often better off with the the bonus instead.

I don't care what you damn ui is. You still don't need that many. You can sit there and say w/e the hell you want it's irrelevant. If you like having that many great, but there is a huge difference between liking and needing something.
I don't care what you damn ui is. You still don't need that many.

Maybe not for the simplicity of PvE but for PvP you most certainly do need various keybinds and ability macros for various situations that occur as you come across multiple enemy team builds.

Unless you want to suck and die of course.
I don't care what you damn ui is. You still don't need that many. You can sit there and say w/e the hell you want it's irrelevant. If you like having that many great, but there is a huge difference between liking and needing something.

And how exactly am I supposed use those abilities? Click them? No thanks.
I do recognize that there are options to bind your keys to all sorts of combinations, but I just feel it’s a bit unnecessary and complicated, which takes away from my enjoyment of the… you know… game. I just picture some matronly school teacher with a ruler making us sit properly as we play the WoW ability piano, timing our rotations to the tune of “ode to joy”. Some of the interfaces that track abilities are starting to look like sheet music.

I understand this is a polarizing subject and that vanilla and TBC were a bit facerolly with rotations. My pally buddy told me in Vanilla how he mapped his main heal to his mouse scroll button and just targeted the main tank and scrolled away. But it felt like WoW had too little, TBC was still too little, WotLK was starting to hit that sweet spot, and then Blizzard went off the deep end and continues to flounder.

I go back to the idea what when everyone’s 15$ are equal, what percentage of the population is executing their abilities and rotations properly?

I propose a theory that ability squish might actually allow blizzard to allow for less facerolly and better tuned LFR/Flex because more people will be able to execute their rotations and abilities properly. Right now I can guarantee you most of the population isn’t laying out entire keyboard’s worth of keybindings or tuning addons for their proper rotations. You have a big disparity between people that don’t’ want to use third party programs, or sign up for the 8 week correspondence course, and those that have spent hours getting things “Just right”. To be clear I am in the latter, but going through the process I thought “Is this really necessary”, and switching to a new class alt just makes me think “ugg this again”.

Right now there is such a big skill disparity between Davie McWow-Pro that knows everything inside and out, and the Johny McLovins that come on after grade school to LFR on their dads computer for an hour. It’s so hard to tune content when there’s no telling whether half a raid is proper raiders or they’re all McLovin’s that don’t’ feel their 15$ a month should also require hours of research, rotation practice and addon management.
Would have been funny if OP was a mage.
I like pressing lots of buttons, playing in my warrior is fun as hell.
agreed
Why do people take every suggestion as if it was the most unreasonable extreme alternative. I’m not suggesting we go back to faceroll vanilla. I’m just saying that when I have to regularly use 20-30 abilities per fight and proper execution requires numerous addons, keybindings and interface tweaking… maybe… just maybe…. We can dial it back a little bit……..
I got to say some specs really need an ability squish.

One of the most awful changes they have done in MoP was the Savage Roar for Feral. Gosh, I used to have a Druid as main, but after that I couldn't stand looking at that thing. It was bad enough with all the bleeds, procs, energy and the precious combo points, but to add Savage Roar to Feral Druids? That was just plainly bad.

They could get some "morphing" if the druid happens to be stealthed or not. For example, Shred could become that stealth "Ambush" (I forgot the name), and the Combo Point Stun (forgot too :<) becomes Pounce. This could reduce amount of skills.

And, of course, Enhancement Shamans. Really, I like them, but there are just too many pointless abilities.

What they could do is:
- Get rid of Lightning Bolt (Enhance only) and make Chain Lightning the main spell.
- Searing Totem, Healing Strem Totem and Feral Spirt should go and be replaced by a single Feral Spirit ability which can be used to sustaint the spirits for the entire fight.
- Earth Shock should get a buff or get merged with Flame Shock. The direct damage is almost the same (really low), save for the fact ES has an increased crit chance.
- Lava Lash could go away and be replaced by an additional charge for Stormstrike with a reduced recharge time (like 4-6 seconds).
- AoE could get a revamped.
And yet you're finding specific situations to actually be using those abilities. Would it really be more fun to just have Rejuv, Wild Growth and Healing Touch to use?

Somehow having the big toolbox as a healer feels more natural to me than having the bloated toolbox on my hunter. I don't feel overwhelmed by the number of abilities I need to use regularly, though I agree it would get that way if Blizzard keeps adding more.

I would like to see them toss out some of the abilities that just don't get used anymore. Hibernate is a good example - when's the last time we've needed to put a beast to sleep? Probably pre-nerf heroic Blackrock Caverns for Beauty's pups back in Cata.

I know Blizzard is partly thrilled with Mythic Raiding because they'll be able to bring back class specific mechanics, but is that really a good thing if the class ability really just comes off as more of a single use gimmick that just adds to button bloat?
Why do people take every suggestion as if it was the most unreasonable extreme alternative. I’m not suggesting we go back to faceroll vanilla. I’m just saying that when I have to regularly use 20-30 abilities per fight and proper execution requires numerous addons, keybindings and interface tweaking… maybe… just maybe…. We can dial it back a little bit……..

It comes down to the fun value. At what point does having more abilities to use stop being fun and start being a drag.

And part of it has also been from the class homogenization that has been ongoing. Players have been wanting to "have it all" - if another class can do something in the same role, then they want to make sure their toon can do it, too.
OP, this will happen; it's in the game's code that this ability squish needs to occur, as there is literally a numerical limit to what can fit within the limits of a 32 bit code structure.

I know the post is out there, but, there's a size cap to the length of a number 32 bit binary based code can represent. I'll go dive for that post.

Edit:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10497400191#15
I agree that there could be less abilities. I mean right now, druids have more abilities in any given spec than there are available buttons on the Blizzard action bars. :P Is that good? I don't really think so.

There are a lot of abilities that are just there on my bars because I feel like I should maybe one day use them somehow? But mostly I don't. I have the stuff I use on the daily bound to my mouse/first 5 hotkeys + modifiers and macros and so on for all that. As a healer in PvE I use nothing short of 20 abilities in every raid and that's like a third of the abilities available to a resto druid. >.>

It's pretty whack, but it seems extra whack as a druid because of forms and so on. And don't even get me started on how prowl needs yet another action bar, oy vey. Forget even using that, i don't stealth for openers ever. lol. (luckily i only use kitty spec for dailies/ TI)