So Long, and Thanks for All the Spectral Fish

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 101 Next
Quite shocked to see the announcement honestly. Whether I agreed with you or not on different aspects of and changes for this game, I know I'll miss your interactions with the community and your humor as well. Very few AAA devs take the time to talk to us as often as you do, and you kept on doing it despite catching so much flak in return. I definitely respect having to deal with that so much and still keeping your passion for this game. Good luck with whatever you'll be doing in the future and take care.
Its funny looking at these comments, when more than half of them bashed on ghostcrawler previously

2 faced

Can be sad someone is leaving even if you disagree w/their game decisions. I'm very sad GC is heading out the door, being 100% sincere.
:<<<<
/raises glass

You'll be missed, good sir. Sorry i never got to buy you a drink at Blizzcon.
Obligatory post in thread
I first met Greg at the BlizzCon 2009 fansite summit. There were 20 or so of us all at one table in the Blizzard cafeteria having lunch. Was introducing myself to the guy sitting across from me. Greg overheard, said "Wait, you're Lore from TankSpot?" and reached across the table and past like 5 people to shake my hand. That was when I knew Greg truly cared about the community.

The next day, I found him outside the convention center checking his email on his phone. We started chatting while he finished, and a few other people walked up. Two of them in particular started arguing with each other; they both played Feral Druids and had a conflicting opinion on something. Greg immediately got quiet, put his phone away, and started listening intently to their conversation. That was when I knew Greg truly cared about game design.

A year later, at BlizzCon 2010, I had the opportunity to sit down with him for a casual chat in the lobby of the Anaheim Marriott. We talked about several things -- raiding, Ret Paladins, how the convention was going -- but at some point I brought up that I'd considered applying for a position at Blizzard. We talked about it for a while, and though I didn't end up applying at the time, he seemed genuine in saying that Blizzard is a great place to work. That was when I knew Greg truly cared about Blizzard Entertainment.

A few months ago, on my third day as a Blizzard employee, I met him again at my first developer meeting. He didn't ignore the new face or just give me a casual "hello" -- he walked around the conference table and across the room to give me a hug. That was when I knew Greg truly cared about his co-workers.

And then a couple days ago, he came by the Community team's area to share a beer and let us know he'd be moving on. He wanted us to hear it directly from him. That was when I knew that Greg cares just as much today as he did when I met him back in 2009.

Greg, you've done amazing things for this game, not just on the design side of things, but for the community as well. You will be sorely missed, and I wish you the absolute best in your new opportunity. Thank you. Stay in touch.
Good luck where you go Ghostcrawler, I will always have you on my Hunter =(. I will miss you dearly!

Do come back and visit us!
Sad to see you go, big thank you for the work you did on the game. Questing through Vashj'ir won't be the same anymore. :\
Whether you agreed with him frequently, occasionally, or very rarely, being in GC's position is not an easy place. I speak from experience, and often felt frustration and unappreciated despite my best efforts.

Then one day a guy sent me a note with the following attached:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

It's an excerpt from a speech by Theodore Roosevelt.

I'm neither a GC fan nor particularly anti-GC; I just recognize that his was a tough job that went largely unrecognized throughout his tenure.

Greg Street, I wish you my best; I believe that's what you gave us. Thank you.
Best of luck man. Pouncey and I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Pouncey would have sent wishes personally but is on a temp forum ban right now.
/raises mug of gin.
Anybody brave enough to try to reason with the wow forums deserves respect in my book.

We may not always have agreed, but at least you always explained your reasoning.

http://i.imgur.com/s7Tm2k8.gif
Best of luck!

And at least now you can join us and complain in the forums.
Best of luck to you. The World will never be the same. (of Warcraft)
Cheers, Ghostcrawler! I have always appreciated your desire to keep communication open between the community and development. Good luck on your next moves!
Good luck in your travels.
Hang on tight to your towel.
337th
Wait does this mean Ret pallys might get the love they truly need?

if you mean nerfed back to be only buffbots then yes :P
Good bye Greg! You were always a great asset to the Warcraft community. Thank you for listening to my feedback about druids and other topics over years.

You always took the time to respond to theorycrafters and members of the WOW community, as long as we were respectful and constructive in our feedback. Thank you for always listening to the community and caring about the game you developed. Thank you for making Warcraft a better game to play, and for making people like me always feel welcome to voice our opinions!

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.