Opening Glyphs to Professions

Professions
Basically, allow Scribes to make glyphs that effect certain professions.

Minor glyphs could reduce time spent crafting, milling, disenchanting, salvaging, skinning, or herbing. They could also be cosmetic/QoL buffs, such as making Engineer's helm look like goggles, increasing the length of profession consumable buffs, "scrolls now persist thru death", give a chance to not consume a consumable on use, increase amount of fish caught, et cetera.

Major glyphs could increase the power of profession buffs - adding proc bonuses to strict enhancements, reducing profession cooldowns (such as tinkers or use:effects), and whatnot.

Thoughts?
Just imagine...

Glyph of Milling / Prospecting etc
Use: You now mill / prospect 10 herbs / ore at once.

Would be epic.
Good idea.
i like it!
I like it... but suggestion forums are

<----------> that way

<----------> that way

I presume by "that way" you mean the old forums? There are currently no suggestion forums on the new website.

<----------> that way
Thread is actually in the right spot!

I like it.
Interesting idea, but the balance aspect would probably be a nightmare
Interesting idea, but the balance aspect would probably be a nightmare

I don't think so. The professions are already fairly balanced in terms of static buffs. Mixology, gem slots, JC gems, embroideries, linings, and everything else comes out to about the same.

Sure you might get more from 20% longer potions than 20% shorter Engineering tinker cooldowns, but Major glyphs are supposed to be hard to math out.

And hey, cosmetic glyphs are cosmetic. Like the first reply, no one would really start complaining if you added a minor glyph to mill/prospect/smelt twice as fast. That's not gamebreaking.

Other glyphs that could happen, to fuel your creative juices:
  • Your Consumable teleports have a 30% chance not to be consumed (for engineers, alchemists, & scribes)

• Reduces cooldown on (long cooldown ability here) by 15 minutes

• 15% chance when disenchanting for another player, to gain additional mats for yourself

• 2% chance to not consume the materials when milling, prospecting, bolting, or smelting

This is awesome, but the glyphs should only add quality-of-life or time-saving boni, not money-saving or dps buffs.
This is awesome, but the glyphs should only add quality-of-life or time-saving boni, not money-saving or dps buffs.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the word "only". Since all glyphs provide either QoL or dps buffs, there should be some DPS/survivability glyphs as well.

However, there shouldn't be any Prime Profession glyphs. But there should be Hard-to-math Majors that ARE DPS increases... sometimes.

For instance, if your Fur Lining didn't give +130 Agility or intellect, but gave a stacking +15 buff that could stack to 10 after 2 minutes, that's simultaneously a DPS loss and gain... not good for PvP, but great for PvE bossfights.

And money flows on trees in Wrath, there's probably no changing that in Cataclysm. Money-saving Procs could add variety that would be open for the now-dull Minor glyphs.

The main issue with minor glyphs is that they're so narrow-focused, and only for one class. Widening minor glyphs for QoL based on professions would be a huge boon to all players
I love this idea, and would gladly sacrifice all of my current minor glyph options as a paladin for profession ones.

I've been wanting a chef's hat equivilant for crafting professions for a long time, but I'd be just as happy if they put it into a minor glyph.