So as a former Ret, should I buy Cata?

Paladin
I played Ret practically exclusively all through Vanilla (why? cause I liked the archetype more than the gameplay), played Ret for the majority of BC although I went holy for arena, and then quit WoW because Wrath looked stupid. So now that Cataclysm is completely revamping the game, and supposedly is making epic gear actually epic once again, should I come back?

I've looked over the ret changes and they look ABYSMAL, almost none of it makes sense. I played an 80 ret on the TR and they seemed pretty viable, only missing a gap closer and a spell interrupt but then again this is something Ret has always needed. Someone with any beta exp wanna tell me if Rets got shafted like I think they did or tell me I'm wrong and Ret will have a place in PvP.
no
only missing a gap closer and a spell interrupt but then again this is something Ret has always needed..

If you look more closely at the talent tree, you'll see ret has both of those now. Rebuke is a spell interrupt you can use every 8 seconds and judement increases your movement speed by 45% for 4 seconds.
ret is notorious for being a n00b slayer. if we get buffed to be on par, we will get nerfed again. crying baddies will always be the downfall of our spec.

atleast we got the memories...
only missing a gap closer and a spell interrupt but then again this is something Ret has always needed..

If you look more closely at the talent tree, you'll see ret has both of those now. Rebuke is a spell interrupt you can use every 8 seconds and judement increases your movement speed by 45% for 4 seconds.

we had hoj/rep for a range interupt and for melee we had arcane torent...... and for the new soj it sucks i would take the old rng soj over the new one. wich also counted for a interupt/stun..... and we also had joj that slow your apponent.

op i would have to say no dont get cata... wait couple of weeks/months and see what ret has to say once we all reach 85.
OMG THE SKY IS FALLING! GET OUT OF HERE WHILE YOU STILL CAN! -.-

I NO! SRSLY, WE CAN"T EVEN BUBBLE HEARTH OUT OF IT NAO!

To the OP:
tough call. Normally, I would tell people that it's worth a shot. But given your narrowed focus in the game, I'm not sure.

Pally's have changed ALLOT. based on the information I'm seeing, Ret can put out decent damage currently. for every person who says the damage sucks, someone else puts up numbers that disagree.

Problem is, the new system is so DIFFERENT then what pally's have been before, when you add in the fact that were still missing some of our damage abilities, and the application of said abilities seems a little whonky right now (dreading inquisition myself), it does not paint a pretty picture for Ret.

On the flip side, if you played a ret in vanilla, your used to odd play-style and a tough time leveling. this may actually be to your benefit, as many of the current Ret's are used to Wrath style ret, which in all honesty ( My main is a pally, played ret myself), was pretty EZ mode. it's different now, we still do better DPS then we did in BC and vanilla comparatively, but it's more complicated to bring it out, and in payment we lost much of our flexibility when were in full Ret mode. WE DID get a gap closer, and interrupt, but it's tough to tell if the price was worth it...

On the whole, will you be able to play as Ret? yes, it's not a broken apec. But it is a spec still without a solid foundation. Blizz is trying to change this, but most of us believe it's still a ways away. But if your from vanilla Ret, then your used to punishment anyways :) and besides, one thing for sure..just like in vanilla...ret will probably be a rarer breed after Cat hits, so you will at least have some of that special connotation back again.

On that note, im leveling Cat as prot pally. I leveled him as that initially in vanilla and BC, and I only switched to ret to try out in wrath because of all the changes. It was so easy to level as ret at the time that it was hard to go back to prot. But with the new changes to prot, it's a more fun and dynamic version of what i started MY paladin for in the first place...holy shield toting warrior fighting darkness thing. Holy is also in a good place, holy shock puts out respectable damage now, exorcism is a spammable nuke type spell with solid damage...Ret may have fallen behind again, but holy and prot are lookin better then ever IMO.

---- Also, to Giglz, I agree with a lot of what you have to say :)

I'm wondering where this whole Ret is DOOOMED thing is coming from. I hear lots of PvE positives coming from the Beta, or at least I have heard that. Our damage was scaled back b/c we were OVER performing from what I heard, so I mean, that's not a bad thing.

PvP - sure, we aren't competing with a lot of the casters, but we've ALWAYS had problems with casters. Always. It's the reason Eye for an Eye was originally implemented lol.

I personally think the rotation feels a LOT like the way the old vanilla ret pally played. Remember how you would stand toe to toe with someone just waiting for a bunch of procs to fire off? Remember when you would blow someone up in seconds sometimes, then other times it would take forever to whittle away at them?

Sure it's a lot of RNG, but honestly I feel like that's part of the fun of Ret (or used to be). They used to refer to rets in my guild as "retsplatter", because when I was hitting the RNG there wasn't a tank that could hold aggro. I also made things 'splode. I also was a giant freaking liability - thank god they changed that.

The fact of the matter is (again, IMO), I feel like Ret should be an RNG spec. That's the roots of Ret. Right now, sure, you can get a bunch of crap to proc at the same time. The proc's last a while - pick the top dps proc and then work your way down. Instead of being like it was in Vanilla/BC (unless you were Horde) where you just hoped things happened, now you get to see them happen and decide the order of it all.

It's not perfect. It's not totally dialed in. If you want a dps spec that is dialed in, pick a pure dps class. I hate to use that retort but it makes sense here. Ret is a sub spec of a hybrid class, we need to have shortcomings - otherwise you'll just see 8 billion mages spamming our forums crying about how we are stealing their raid spots. If you want to succeed with this spec, understand that you won't be able to "do it" like a pure class does. Pure classes are meant to have set rotations and blast away at things.

If you haven't seen the power of your class (being able to toss out heals, utility, etc) then you might be doing it wrong. DPS Spec != (is not equal) to pure DPS.

The problem with Ret came with WotLK where it was assumed that we would, and SHOULD, bypass our utility in order to min/max our dps. IMO, this is not the role that a hybrid should play. In a perfect situation we should be (and are) able to be competitive, but if I could count the amount of times I've saved a wipe due to having the ability to heal I would need more fingers.

I understand that a lot of people play in groups that don't see that utility. You're 50k healing on the meter is not listed in context. They won't see that you healed the tank when he was literally moments away from dying. Just understand that your utility and usefulness is very much so situational, and that you will be an unsung hero - sometimes even sacrificing your DPS in order to see success, and you will still enjoy "The Ret".
Until Blizzard treats Ret like a melee class its going to always suck, and since they are all overpaid idiots in the Paladin department trying to force people to be holy and prot only, the class will always only be for healing and tanking.
IF you played in vanilla you would know this.

Seals lasted 30 seconds, and disspeared after u judgement.
We had no special attacks, just judgement and what? holy shock for a bit?
buffs lasted 5 minutes
rets didn't raid, you were obviously holy
^ IN THIS CASE if u were holy all u did was spam flash of light, that's it. nothing else.
you know what the list goes forever ill just say this.

PALLYS ARE BETTER.
@OP, especially for this class, you are right the changes to ret do not make sense. Because of that I would recommend you not buy Cata unless you get really interested in playing a different DPS class. If you do decide to buy it and play ret, be prepared for a fairly "bleh" experience at end game.
@OP, especially for this class, you are right the changes to ret do not make sense. Because of that I would recommend you not buy Cata unless you get really interested in playing a different DPS class. If you do decide to buy it and play ret, be prepared for a fairly "bleh" experience at end game.

How so? From what I've heard and seen of ret at 85 it does damn good.
if you have something else to do that you enjoy, then dont buy cata. ret was nerfed to nothing, forget pvp, and you're barely decent for pve. blizzard still has no clue about what they're doing with this class, especially that spec. we will never be viable because of all the noobs who will QQ.

Funny, all PVE retadins on the beta have reported incredible results.

PvP will not change. We will be fine.

Unless you're awful.
Paladins will always shine not matter how many nerfs!!!
Considering the game never stays the same, unless u hate the game overall or are just incredibly fickle, why not? No class stays the same forever.