Watch out for weakauras 2 scams.

Customer Support
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
Can this happen if you don't use weakauras?

No. However, Weakauras isn't the only addon that does allows sharing of code. It doesn't mean you have to stop using addons altogether either, you just have to pay attention to what pops on your screen and not just accept everything for the sake of putting it away.
12/03/2013 09:15 AMPosted by Blasphemix

No. However, Weakauras isn't the only addon that does allows sharing of code. It doesn't mean you have to stop using addons altogether either, you just have to pay attention to what pops on your screen and not just accept everything for the sake of putting it away.

:X
If they had that kind of skill, they would probably be using it to make money, not ruin people's time in a video game.

You presume they don't have enough already, or that money is the only profit they can get out of things.
12/03/2013 09:15 AMPosted by Blasphemix

Their is no automatic sharing of code. It has to be copied and pasted into the addon, you have to do it yourself. One can not send you a script with out you doing anything. Using the add on will not cause this to happen. Accepting a script and importing from someone you do not know will!

Oh and if you do and it seems like it does what you want. Well their could be a hiden function you might not see.
It has to be copied and pasted into the addon
No, you can shift click auras to link them which will give people an import button. It doesn't have to be copy pasted into the import section. But they can not auto-import, it needs your permission.
Weakauras devs are going to need to post something or they will have a huge PR fiasco on their hands.

PR? Is it a paid addon? If not, they're fine lol.

If it's free and you willingly downloaded it according to their terms and conditions (which probably covers their butt) then there's nothing to hold against the devs.

DON'T download software you don't trust!
I don't know what this even means (except the "it's not hard" part). And that was the point I was making.

If you don't know how to put marks in check boxes and select stuff in lists, (like click stuff), how can you even play this game ?
I hope they find who is responsible for this and can help those who are victims.

This makes me happy I do not use addons of this nature =(.
Please don't bite me.

But what the heck is weakauras?

WeakAuras is an event monitor ... well, at it's core, it has a lot more capability that just that.

When you get a buff or a debuff in the game (like the Druid buff, Mark of the Wild for example), you'll see a buff icon appear in the upper right hand corner of your screen. That's a function of the event monitor built into the client. What event monitors (like WeakAuras and TellMeWhen) do is give you control over "events" like receiving a buff.

The most basic function these addons are used for is changing where the buff icons show up, and controlling which icons show up. For example, I use TellMeWhen to track debuffs I'm supposed to be putting on my target (like Serpent Sting), when I fire Serpent Sting, an icon shows up in a column to the left of my view, where my peripheral vision can pick it up easily. This icon tracks only my own Serpent Sting, and shows me a timer. I have another icon that tracks Lock-and-Load procs (on me) and lets me know when I should be dropping extra Explosive Shots into my rotation.

Those are a couple of examples of the simplest application of what an event monitor can do. As we've seen in this thread, they're capable of doing a whole lot more than that.

As others have pointed out, the root issue isn't the addons themselves, but rather people writing small scripts that utilize the addons, and functionality that's allowed by the Blizzard client, but not directly accessible to a user who doesn't know how to work with LUA code.

At least that's my understanding, I'm sure if I'm incorrect someone will correct me.
Weakauras devs are going to need to post something or they will have a huge PR fiasco on their hands.

You're prompted to accept the WA or not, and nothing I've seen suggests that they managed a way around that prompting.

Since WA allows custom lua code on events, it can do pretty much anything the wow api permits.
Well, I sent Chaud over on MMO-C a PM and sent a message to WowInsider about this and asked if thye could make a news post warning people of this possibly dangerous situation. More people who know, less likely people will accept.
Well, I sent Chaud over on MMO-C a PM and sent a message to WowInsider about this and asked if thye could make a news post warning people of this possibly dangerous situation. More people who know, less likely people will accept.

I hope he posts something about it. A lot of people checks out Mmo-champ. Him posting could possibly ease up a lot of frustration and maybe help Blizzard out.
The addon author has patched Weakauras2 to v2.0.1 with some code that should help keep this from happening:
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/weakauras-2
"Hey you just posted, and this is crazy,
But here's a sticky, so read it maybe?" -- Roraks
The addon author has patched Weakauras2 to v2.0.1 with some code that should help keep this from happening:
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/weakauras-2
"Hey you just posted, and this is crazy,
But here's a sticky, so read it maybe?" -- Roraks

Based on the commits, it looks like he is manually blocking the offending functions from being triggered.
This is TERRIFYING. i dont have the addon thankfully...

If they do it with other addons i will be triple Terrified.
what is an aura?

Technically, an "aura" is a buff or debuff on you.

The addon in question just allows you to set up graphical alerts to when things proc, how many charges are on them, etc(think backlash stack counts).

Problem is, if you want someone else's settings, they can give you a string to import into the addon that gives you the settings they use.

It's apparently being exploited.
I can see this prompting API changes in respect to trading.
There is an update today on curse for the addon that is meant to help with some of this.

Tagging as 2.0.1 with changes to counter gold theft via custom auras.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r16 | stanzilla | 2013-12-03 21:34:30 +0000 (Tue, 03 Dec 2013) | 1 line
Changed paths:
M /trunk/WeakAuras.lua
Meanwhile I'm still on 1.4.6 or something and have no intention to change.

Don't mind me, never updating my addons except patch day and never suffering at all for it~