Devs and CM's, please converse with us more=)

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
I touched your hair at Blizzcon.
I touched your hair at Blizzcon.

I saw that!
Lore, Kalvax..anybody...: I know its maybe a broken record, maybe you dont want to hear this, but if you take a look at the Oceanic forums, there has been a lack of communication over an extended period.

Blues post in General and elsewhere, but we are customers too and that communication is needed in all forums.

Up until a week or so there hadnt been a Blue post there in over a year.

Arcaignon has said he will be posting, "after a week or so", its now two weeks later. He hasnt been back.

One of the biggest issues is the one of Aussie servers, and yes yes I know it's a pet peeve, but what we are asking for is a Blue or other reply, talking to us over issues we have, lag, latency, and whilst no one, including me, expects immediate answers, what we ARE asking for is that you, yes, talk to us.

You wont be flamed and I do know you cant give us all the answers we like...but isnt the fact you at least will show that you care be enough to bring out some valid and essential points?

GC used to post frequently on the forums. He stopped when the flaming got way out of hand. We (the forum community) messed that up.

On this I ABSOLUTELY agree with you. For us it isnt whats been posted or said, it's whats not been posted thats the issue here.

We're here for you guys.

Lore, can that please be extended to ALL forums?

The Oceanic forums would be a lot more lively if we knew that someone was there reading what we say, and at least giving us the courtesy of us knowing we've been heard.

Arent we just as important?
12/03/2013 12:43 PMPosted by Velana
People would misinterpret what they said at times, or draw incorrect conclusions and run with it.

Or try to twist the words the devs/blues use to make it mean something it was never intended to mean.

Or the posters would get butt hurt when the devs/blues didn't sugar coat their words and phrases. Among many other things that could fall under this.

People will still do that no matter what form of communication the dev's use. Often we see quotes from the Dev's Bashiok or whomever misquoted, or taken out of context and then painted in the context of however the original poster wants it to be viewed.
We try to communicate as much as we can. I can't speak for every CM (as we all have different duties around the office which can often take us away from the forums a bit), but conversing on the forums has been a personal priority of mine since I started here. I spend a large chunk of my day reading and replying when I feel I have something meaningful to add. I also collect a ton of feedback to bring directly to the developers for discussion.

I totally get the concerns about losing Ghostcrawler from Twitter. He's been one of the most candid and open developers in the gaming industry as a whole for a long time. Fortunately, he's not only developer responding regularly on Twitter! We actually [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6933956493#2"]have a list in one of the stickies on this forum[/url] with Twitter handles of several top developers. Generally speaking, any question you would previously have sent to Ghostcrawler, someone else on that list will be able to answer. The Community team's Twitter handles are listed in there as well. ;)

Greg will no longer be working with us here at Blizzard, but we're not going to let that be a stopping point to our interaction with the community. We're here for you guys.

To be honest I would rather see more communication here then thru outside websites like twitter or facebook.

I think this website should be the preferred way to communicate to your subscribers.
We try to communicate as much as we can. I can't speak for every CM (as we all have different duties around the office which can often take us away from the forums a bit), but conversing on the forums has been a personal priority of mine since I started here. I spend a large chunk of my day reading and replying when I feel I have something meaningful to add. I also collect a ton of feedback to bring directly to the developers for discussion.

I totally get the concerns about losing Ghostcrawler from Twitter. He's been one of the most candid and open developers in the gaming industry as a whole for a long time. Fortunately, he's not only developer responding regularly on Twitter! We actually [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6933956493#2"]have a list in one of the stickies on this forum[/url] with Twitter handles of several top developers. Generally speaking, any question you would previously have sent to Ghostcrawler, someone else on that list will be able to answer. The Community team's Twitter handles are listed in there as well. ;)

Greg will no longer be working with us here at Blizzard, but we're not going to let that be a stopping point to our interaction with the community. We're here for you guys.

See, this is why you get the big kitty treats.

It means a lot

;~;

So, so much.
I think this website should be the preferred way to communicate to your subscribers.

I agree.

Also, as much as I appreciate your responses, Lore... there has been a noticeable lack of coverage concerning the Connected Realms; I feel like the community (especially Weekender-Durotan, props to him) has been keeping me more informed about the whole process than Blizzard has.

When you find something out about a change concerning Connected Realms-- tell us please! I feel like many people on the realms being connected are still woefully uniformed -- about their realms' selection, the connection process, etc.

Just a thought.
Disclosure: I second that

Facebook - ugh

Twitter - no thanks.

These are the official Blizz forums. IMO this is where information should start.

Or they could, you know, post what info they have. It should require no work on your customers part to keep them informed. It's just basic business.

What about community managers? Do they do anything? I don't see why we would have to "work" for basic information that other companies post as soon as it's available.

Because there's a continuum.

Sure they have to give us the bare minimum - and they do. The CM's DO post info.

... but they can also be a lot MORE involved -beyond- the bare minimum.

However to get that, we need to drop the entitled attitude about it - and actually meet them civilly.

When they post too little of information people end up raging, jumping to conclusions, putting words in their mouths, etc, etc, etc instead of simply asking for clarification. People are quick to jump all over them for things we only have a small part of the picture of (they can't always give the full picture). Luckily they've seemed to slowly be more open again with info, but not quite as much as we would hope.

Here's to hoping they'll come back to the forums a bit more.
I wouldn't want to talk to us more. We're jerks. I'm on Twitter to keep tabs on my book club anyway, so I follow the CMs. Mostly they reply when I mention cookies.
I can't fathom what it would be like trying to post something for the veracious masses just waiting to tear everything to threads. I'm not sure how GC managed to live in any comfort seeing that his balls are bigger than the earth itself.

It will be a long time coming before we see anyone with stones enough to take the communication reins and attempt what GC did. They always say you don't realize what you have until it's gone. I sense this will definitely be one of those cases.
. I spend a large chunk of my day reading and replying when I feel I have something meaningful to add. I also collect a ton of feedback to bring directly to the developers for discussion.

Heres something meaningful to add.

Why have you left shamans in the dark every expansion so far. Especially enhancement... I have tried countless times to tell someone at blizzard that its so outdated and that you never update it. Its so stupid how most of our moves are ranged, we are a melee class, why do we have 3/4 of elemental's abilities? We are the only melee class that only uses mana (boring and outdated), and we have AoE that was designed by a potato.

And why does nobody at blizzard ever talk about shamans. Its always about warriors and other classes. Our class needs the most attention. Look at how old everything is... weapon imbues, we only use half of them. Totems, a clunky mechanic of the class. Enhancement can only duel wield making it very hard to get weapons from raids and instances. We got buffed for the first time in what, 6 years? only to get nerfed 2 patches later. Wow that lasted long.

We share shocks on the same cooldown, we have terrible CC, we cant survive anything in arenas, and outside of cooldowns, our damage is pathetic. We still dont have an execute and we never get anything new. Not to mention 3/4 of our damage is with passives. And we have too many cooldowns, and way too many buttons to press.

So thanks Lore for passing on shaman information to developers, because they changed so much for us.

*I challenge you Lore to reply to this, if you really care about your community and interacting with players, but you'll probably ignore this so who cares.*

I've always very much appreciated anytime the devs or CMs were able to give us tidbits here and there. Even when it's not entirely clear.

It's also great to know what things the devs are looking at to possibly tweak/change b/c then the community can give some feedback on the idea. Granted that's not always plausible, but things like getting rid of button bloat would be a great thing to have a discussion about on a class level. It's such a crucial thing I think the more dialog the better.

Not everybody uses, or wants to use twitter. I am one of those people. I find out about the twits you guys make from mmo champion or other players.
We shouldn't have to come to the forums to talk about something you guys said, and hunt on twitter for the twit, so we have a source.
Wow..

I rejoin after a couple of years and GC is moving on?
This is sad news indeed. He was well-known and will be sorely missed.

These are the official Blizz forums. IMO this is where information should start.

Close... :)

These are the official Blizz community forums. That means us.
This is a forum for us gamers to pass around solutions to problems that other gamers are having trouble with.

The place where the "information" starts is on the front page under "News".

This forum is the General Discussion forum for pretty much any random topic about the game.
This forum is the General Discussion forum for pretty much any random topic about the game.

*hands on hips and mock glare*

Potato, po-tah-to...no cookie for YOU.....:-D

Lore the Arena forums are neglected in terms of blue posts. Plz get some blues in there :)
12/03/2013 05:42 PMPosted by Scarakor
. I spend a large chunk of my day reading and replying when I feel I have something meaningful to add. I also collect a ton of feedback to bring directly to the developers for discussion.

Heres something meaningful to add.

Why have you left shamans in the dark every expansion so far. Especially enhancement... I have tried countless times to tell someone at blizzard that its so outdated and that you never update it. Its so stupid how most of our moves are ranged, we are a melee class, why do we have 3/4 of elemental's abilities? We are the only melee class that only uses mana (boring and outdated), and we have AoE that was designed by a potato.

And why does nobody at blizzard ever talk about shamans. Its always about warriors and other classes. Our class needs the most attention. Look at how old everything is... weapon imbues, we only use half of them. Totems, a clunky mechanic of the class. Enhancement can only duel wield making it very hard to get weapons from raids and instances. We got buffed for the first time in what, 6 years? only to get nerfed 2 patches later. Wow that lasted long.

We share shocks on the same cooldown, we have terrible CC, we cant survive anything in arenas, and outside of cooldowns, our damage is pathetic. We still dont have an execute and we never get anything new. Not to mention 3/4 of our damage is with passives. And we have too many cooldowns, and way too many buttons to press.

So thanks Lore for passing on shaman information to developers, because they changed so much for us.

*I challenge you Lore to reply to this, if you really care about your community and interacting with players, but you'll probably ignore this so who cares.*

Oh god, I hope they don't change any of the things you mention there. Enhancement shaman is the first class I've played in years that I love, I feel like no matter the situation I always have something viable I can be doing. We have so many CD's that I'm amazed they haven't taken some away. When I played enhance years ago, totems were clunky, set and forget, I had to set up three different sets and then if one totem got destroyed I had to replace the whole shooting match.
Mana is the only resource I enjoy. Never liked rage, energy or the rune system, so a melee mana user is right up my alley. I use all my weapon imbues. The two obvious ones (windfury and flametongue), plus rock bitter for damage reduction (almost like stance dancing) and frostbrand for a quick slow if my frost shock isn't available.
I think our damage reduction is pretty decent considering we can insta free heal ourselves for the majority of our hit points (with 5 stacks of maelstrom and the glyph) have the unbelievably OP ghostwolf + spirit walk. SB totem with shamanistic rage is a solid damage reduction. You can also use Primal Elementalist and the Earth elemental damage reduction. And while our AoE isn't a one button spam fest, I love the ability to spread my flame shock to multiple targets, even if seconds later they run in totally different directions. Better than hoping that the tank tanks the mobs in your AoE/trap/mindsear/etc.
The number of different buttons and options I have is one of the main reasons I've fallen in love with this toon in fact just about everything you complain about is the reason I enjoy this class, so I'd like to make a counter plea. Lore I urge you not to listen to him.