Devs and CM's, please converse with us more=)

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 10 Next
This is long. Sorry. I am not good at writing short posts.

When I first started in the online RPG world ~20 years ago, GMs and devs used to chit chat all the time on the global chat channels -- there were no forums but the BBS fidonet and usenet used to be full of players interacting with devs and GMs, almost always in a respectful manner. Even into the late 90s this was the case on The Realm Online which is where I was at the time.

I remember GM's officiating wedding ceremonies, RP'ing with players in the tavern, and doing all kinds of fun stuff such as dropping random loot out in the world for players to stumble across, holding trivia contests on lore, dealing with bugs in person, etc. When the game went from version 2.0 to 3.0, from 40 levels to 100, everyone's characters were deleted. A month into the new game, they deleted everyone's characters again because they had to convert old accounts into the new accounts. (Sorta like when Blizz merged everyone's b.net accounts.)

Players got really upset. OOC (trade chat so to speak) was full of people angry about losing levels, spells, rare items, gold, etc. they had been working on for a month. By this time there were internet forums, and they lit up with complaints, criticism, people threatening to drop their subs, etc. This was in 1998!!

Well, the two developers (one would later move on to the failed Middle-Earth MMORPG project) could have ignored the players, they could have told them to get over it, etc.

Instead they appeared in-game in a chapel in a small town and everyone online packed in to the chapel -- all 100+ of us. They silenced the room (preventing talking at first) and then explained, in detail, why they did what they did, and why it was a good thing for the game, and then allowed players who /raised their hand to ask them questions, which were then personally answered! (I still have a screenshot of this event saved.)

That was 15 years ago. I promise you that online and the Internet was a much nicer place back then (although already going downhill thanks to AOL.)

So why don't Blizzard developers post here more or interact in game?

- Death threats, curses, hate-filled rants, etc directed at them because they dared change something
- Being accused of favoritism by one side or the other every time they speak up about anything
- Being constantly told that they have no idea how to do their job, that they suck at it, and that they need to get fired or quit

On top of that, there's the matter of trying to interact with a community of 7 million+ players vs a community of less than 10,000 players!

These issues didn't really exist back then.

We kind of caused this problem ourselves when we quit being civil, when we let emotion override logic, when we made things personal, when we overreacted to the slightest nerf, when we threatened to quit or raged or posted about how the game was ruined forever and when we wouldn't even give the devs a chance to explain the rationale behind their actions.....ultimately, when we decided that the devs should consider our particular complaint more important than any other aspect of the game.

If you want the devs/GMs/CMs to interact with you more, don't treat them like garbage every time they disagree with you, and thank them when they deserve it, and remember that changes you don't like are not personal vendettas against your toons.
12/03/2013 05:42 PMPosted by Scarakor
We are the only melee class that only uses mana

Wrong, retribution paladins use mana too.
12/03/2013 12:43 PMPosted by Velana
People would misinterpret what they said at times, or draw incorrect conclusions and run with it.

Or try to twist the words the devs/blues use to make it mean something it was never intended to mean.

Or the posters would get butt hurt when the devs/blues didn't sugar coat their words and phrases. Among many other things that could fall under this.

Don't you dare try to pretend we weren't promised ponies.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would happily trade Holinka for Greg, she's done a horrible job with the player versus player department. Ghost was cocky sometimes, but at least he did a great job back when WoW wasn't a cluster of problems.
I wouldn't want to talk to us more. We're jerks. I'm on Twitter to keep tabs on my book club anyway, so I follow the CMs. Mostly they reply when I mention cookies.

My keyword trawler picked up the word 'cookies' in this thread. What's going on here?
12/03/2013 06:45 PMPosted by Daxxarri
I wouldn't want to talk to us more. We're jerks. I'm on Twitter to keep tabs on my book club anyway, so I follow the CMs. Mostly they reply when I mention cookies.

My keyword trawler picked up the word 'cookies' in this thread. What's going on here?

*laughing* Oh, but it's Paw-mpkin Pie time, not cookies! Well, it was last week....

*laughing* Oh, but it's Paw-mpkin Pie time, not cookies! Well, it was last week....

It's always paw-mkin pie time. That's SCIENCE.

What Lore said is on point. We do have a lot of duties to attend to that don't always directly involve the forums. We also try to interact via various mediums to make sure that we're reaching as broad a swathe of the playerbase as possible too.

A big part of the job is seeing what you guys are saying and relaying that to the Dev team. Sometimes it's better to watch and read rather than participate directly. Despite our best intentions, a blue post can be a disruptive influence that derails an otherwise productive discussion. Sometimes we just don't have a satisfying answer to a question just yet. Of course, sometimes it's just the thing for a great, productive talk.

Any way you slice it, we're around. And you can follow us on Twitter as well (looks like Anikyre already does): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6933956493#2

But we're here now. Wanna hang out for a bit? What have you guys been up to?
While you're listening/watching ... Brown Skin for Orcs in WoD? :D
12/03/2013 07:10 PMPosted by Daxxarri
What have you guys been up to?

super excited for WoD

wondering when 5.4.2 will come out

wondering why we still have no gnome hunters
12/03/2013 04:58 PMPosted by Lore
We try to communicate as much as we can. I can't speak for every CM (as we all have different duties

lol, you said duties.
What have you guys been up to?

super excited for WoD

Echoing all this.

Also, enjoying learning some finer points of playing and dealing with mechanics on the Timeless Isle. I've found it's been a great teaching tool, and I've made some solid improvement, I think. It's done wonders for my confidence when it comes to playing certain classes. Others? Well, I've got some work ahead of me.

And then there's forum guild on BT. Finding out that there are some really fun people around here who I'm very glad to have met.

Levelling a Balance Druid, that 9th anniv present was a great help.

Daxxari:

Sometimes we just don't have a satisfying answer to a question just yet. Of course, sometimes it's just the thing for a great, productive talk.

See above. The Oceanic forums could use a little of that.
If they could interact with us the same amount he did but drop the arrogance it would be great!

Beginning the RP workups to lead our guild into WoD!

That being said - what about CR forums? RP'ers love to put on events, Guild Leaders love to run groups for the community, Recruitment posts love visibility - are we really going to have to spam 2 - 4+ forums to do so? <huge kitten eyes>

It's always paw-mkin pie time. That's SCIENCE.

Making 90s out of those of my numerous alts who aren't there yet. 11th one last Saturday; 12th one "soon"™....
However, I think everyone wants to feel like their feedback is being heard. I actually do think it's important to get the outsiders' perspectives, as well.

Jesus christ are you serious? You actually think what you say and them saying "oh we'll look into it" matters at all?

Here's a quote from Holinka an hour ago
Holinka
‏@holinka
@NathanRochester Idea output from the community has never been a factor on whether or not we make a change

This times a bazillion. Since blues are actively posting in this thread, I'll add my carefully thought out and logical reasons why gnomes should have hunters, maybe it'll do some good. First, there's no mechanical reason why they couldn't be hunters. I originally thought it was an issue with bow animations but Goblins are almost as shorts as the Gnomes and they can do it. On the numbers side of it, of all Vanilla-Cata races, Gnomes are the only race with less than 8 available classes.

For Horde, you have Trolls with 10 classes, Blood Elves with 9, and Tauren, Forsaken, and Goblins at 8 each.

For Alliance, you have Dwarves with 10, Humans with 9, Night Elves and Dreanei at 8, and Gnomes with only 7.

Pandas don't count toward this since they can be either faction. If you noticed up there, Gnomes have one less class option than they should for faction balance. Factoring in the 7 Panda classes for each faction, Horde has a total of 50 race/class combinations, Alliance has only 49.

Gnomes also happen to be the only playable race that does not have hunters. Therefore, the obvious solution for total balance between the factions as well as within the Alliance is to give Gnomes the hunter class. Doing so would give Gnomes 8 class options, making them even with the other '8 class option' races, all playable races would have hunters just as all playable races have warriors, and the race/class combinations would be even between the two factions.
12/03/2013 06:45 PMPosted by Daxxarri

*conjures choc. chip cookies*

Here ya go. Want some Conjured Popcorn too?
While you're listening/watching ... Brown Skin for Orcs in WoD? :D

We've brought it up, but I'm not sure it's in the cards. Guess we'll all have to find out!

super excited for WoD

Me too! Incredibly excited. For, like, everything.

┐('~`)┌

ಠ_ಠ

lol, you said duties.

ಠ_ರೃ

Also, enjoying learning some finer points of playing and dealing with mechanics on the Timeless Isle. I've found it's been a great teaching tool, and I've made some solid improvement, I think. It's done wonders for my confidence when it comes to playing certain classes. Others? Well, I've got some work ahead of me.

I'm really glad that you're enjoying it! What is it about the TI mechanics that you find so engaging?

Levelling a Balance Druid, that 9th anniv present was a great help.

Why'd you go boomchicken? What level, and what are you enjoying most about it?

Spending the last two weeks complaining about the no flying thing. This one was made by me (I tired to have it as troll-less as possible):

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10717152023#1

(PS: the third post is where my main issue is).

(I know, I know: Juju quit whining).