Blizz Should Accept Bitcoins as Payment!

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 10 Next
12/03/2013 07:07 AMPosted by Sentenza
pedophiles

Huh? I understand how drug cartels love untraceable untaxed currency, but I don't get how pedophiles are involved. Although I suspect this is just troll.

Pretty much the only thing bitcoin is used for is to buy illegal items. Use your imagination.
still confusing
I respectfully request that Activision Blizzard, Inc. strongly consider accepting Bitcoins as a payment method for all of their products. One may surmise that a very significant portion of your consumer base is already aware of Bitcoin given that they are likely somewhat savvy in the realm of information technology. Additionally, given the recent rise in value of Bitcoin (Google it!) this would represent an enormous potential for profit as the value continues through the adoption Bitcoin as an acceptable form of payment by companies like Activision Blizzard, Inc. Please, do whatever you can to get this request into the hands of an appropriately appointed decision maker for consideration!

No. Take your play money elsewhere. Do what all other bitcoiners do and buy drugs/kiddie !@#$ with it.
I've thought about how awesome it would be for Blizzard to accept Bitcoins since mid-2011! I never really saw it as a huge possibility, although Bitcoin as a whole has been surprising me left and right these last few weeks. Being able to pay for a WoW subscription with bitcoins would be incredible. I wouldn't have seen it as a viable option before, although services like BitPay and Coinbase make it incredibly easy to accept bitcoins as payment. Those services also remove concern for short-term volatility.

Bitcoins are just a fancier way of saying 'shares' you don't pay for things with shares, bitcoins aren't a true currency due to that fact, and the fact there is no currency regulation on them. A bitcoin today is worth stupid amounts, but tomorow they could crash in value.

The volatility is a mess right now, although as Bitcoin adoption grows and prospers it should become far more stable. Right now it is admittedly very easy to manipulate. Somebody could drive the Bitstamp price for bitcoins back below $1,000 per with barely over $1.5 million worth of BTC. This doesn't take panic sellers into account either. As Bitcoin grows, though, it would take far more volume to cause a significant shift either way. Also, as I mentioned just earlier in my post, merchants can use services that protect them from short-term fluctuations.

12/03/2013 05:10 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
I saw a Wired Article about some homeless guys earning their food that way.

How long ago was that, Blu? People used to be able to simply mine bitcoins and earn a steady amount, although margins are extremely low (if not completely non-existent) with all but the best hardware now.

There are some awesome non-profit groups out there that are accepting Bitcoin donations, though. Sean's Outpost (https://twitter.com/SeansOutpost) is one of the better known non-profits. The bitcoins donated there go directly to feeding the homeless.

Bitcoins are dumb. They're another bandwagon people are jumping on without truly understanding what they are. It's very similar to the .com bubble where people were buying up stocks just because it was a .com with little thought to the business plan.

You could also argue that the Internet wouldn't be quite as well-established without the .com bubble. Cryptocurrencies are starting to see some larger mainstream "adoption", although many holders are nothing more than speculators. Most long-term Bitcoin advocates seem to anticipate several booms and busts along the way, although it's difficult to determine when/if these will occur. Shoot, I didn't think we'd be seeing $300 anytime soon, and was extremely surprised when Bitcoin broke $500. Now it's over $1000!

If you want to compare this to the .com bubble, by the way, I would recommend comparing it to all cryptocurrency as a whole. Some companies (e.g. Amazon, Google, et al.) are even more valuable now than they were before the bubble popped. There are several altcoins out there at the moment. I see Bitcoin and some altcoins ultimately surviving and thriving, but there isn't necessarily room or reason for all these "me-too!"coins to continue growing.

12/03/2013 05:30 AMPosted by Maegoree
Really don't see Bitcoins sticking around, especially once the gov't starts taxing payment by Bitcoin.

I think Bitcoin has "won" once governments begin taxing it and treating it just like any other asset or currency. This legitimizes it. There was a huge uptick in price after the Senate meetings alone.

Also, bitcoins are subject to tax as-is. People that "invest" in them are still subject to capital gains tax, and merchants are still obligated to pay up sales tax for their transactions. It's not that hard to keep the IRS off your back (this is assuming you're in the US, of course!).

12/03/2013 05:40 AMPosted by Violinne
A major advantage of bitcoins is that one can bypass middle companies for regular transactions (cc, paypal, etc)

This is indeed a major advantage for accepting Bitcoin! Credit card companies (and PayPal, to a somewhat lesser extent) usually get a flat percentage for any transactions conducted. Bitcoin is much cheaper. Not long ago there was a $150 million transaction for something stupidly small, around ~37 cents if I remember correctly. This is why many newer, smaller startups are often thrilled to accept Bitcoin and frequently give discounts or benefits for Bitcoin purchases.

12/03/2013 05:40 AMPosted by Violinne
The downside is it's lack of regulation, tax evasion, etc.

This downside is easily avoidable, fortunately. Sales tax should be applied just as it would be with any other payment method, and tax evasion isn't something any company should really need to be concerned about unless they're "forgetting" to apply or submit the proper taxes. In the same vein that Bitcoin can be used for criminal activity, so can the U.S. dollar. Money laundering isn't exactly a new concept.

12/03/2013 06:25 AMPosted by Tharozoft
O for the record, 1 bit coin = 500-900usd. and when you mine one yourself you actualy get 50 of them, so. that would be 45k. and yes, you can transfer it to usd euro etc...

I think your news is a bit slow there. :P One Bitcoin is over $1000 USD at the moment, and when you discover a block while mining you now get 25 BTC instead. The Bitcoin block reward was halved close to this time last year. The next reward halving should occur in late 2016.
Oh, we should start using fake money inWOW?
12/03/2013 05:22 AMPosted by Bubblykiss
Bitcoins are dumb. They're another bandwagon people are jumping on without truly understanding what they are. It's very similar to the .com bubble where people were buying up stocks just because it was a .com with little thought to the business plan.

They sound like fiat currency without backing by precious metal or government endorsement.

And what do you think the US Dollar is backed by? Thin air.

I own some Bitcoin. I own some Litecoin. But I wouldn't use it to purchase anything at the moment because I don't think Bitcoin's "value" is done ballooning yet. Imagine spending $15 worth of Bitcoin today for it to be worth $500 in a few months?

Remember the story of the guy who bought a pizza for 10,000 Bitcoins when they were worth almost nothing? Sickening.

I don't think big vendors like Amazon / Blizzard / whatever are going to start accepting it until the price stabilizes.
Google the Tech boom of the mid-late 90's. Then keep reading on all the busts that happened ( and smart money c. 1998 moved to credit default swaps backed by a home loan - the Housing Boom/Bust). That is Bitcoin, the shinny omg omg omg tech that is as stable as Pets.com (they went bust)
I only ever read about bitcoins being used by criminal enterprises (which makes sense given the nature of them).

Blizzard can accept whatever payment they want for subs or whatever, but I personally think they'd be stupid to even look at bitcoins.
I only ever read about bitcoins being used by criminal enterprises (which makes sense given the nature of them).

Blizzard can accept whatever payment they want for subs or whatever, but I personally think they'd be stupid to even look at bitcoins.

And you don't think US Dollars are used by criminal enterprises?

Don't be ridiculous. I posted my opinion. If you have a constructive comment to make based on what I was actually saying, I welcome it wholeheartedly.
12/03/2013 06:45 AMPosted by Kêpler
Bitcoin the selfclaim currency by hipsters? Blizzard should accept my monopoly money, theyre worth a lot according to the !@#$%ian princess who gave them to me.

Brilliantly said. A grammatical genius.

A lot of angry nerds in here, jealous about people who bought 1000 bitcoins when they were worth pennies. Don't care if they do crash, or how fast, have already made gargantuan profit. And when I sell if they start to crash I'll still make more than most normal people make in 5-10 years.

Keep hating, haters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin#Legal_issues

Pretty much the only thing bitcoin is used for is to buy illegal items. Use your imagination.

I wasn't aware pedophiles were business people. Still a dumb post.

Bitcoins are the darling of Redditors.

Do the math.

It's easier to track down US Dollars...
If Andrew Jackson were alive, he'd probably support Bitcoin. Good enough for me.

Andrew Jackson literally comitted genocide, not really helping ya there.
It's not going to happen, for a very simple reason: Bitcoin values are volatile. Your bitcoins are worth twice as much today as they were even a year ago. It's impossible to work with a currency that unstable.