Do you think WoD is the savior of WoW?

General Discussion
So just starting off, I'm writing an article on WoD in this aspect, just to forewarn you all.

I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on this! With all the problems a lot of you believe are hindering WoW's quality and the awful drop in subs, do you think WoD will bring back players? Will it "save" WoW? Will it do the opposite?

Please speak your mind.
So far it's looking pretty darn good. The new character models alone are already turning a few heads.
Why do you think wow needs to be "saved"? I remember everyone thought MoP was the savior for Cata, and IMO it's been pretty good throughout this expansion.
I'm going with jump the shark for now, and hoping to be proved wrong.
What is it being saved from?
No, it's really not much of an expansion and it is doing nothing to advance the Warcraft story, really it just seems like a big patch. The whole expansion could be fixed by someone going back in time and distracting Varian for a few seconds.
No, it's really not much of an expansion and it is doing nothing to advance the Warcraft story, really it just seems like a big patch. The whole expansion could be fixed by someone going back in time and distracting Varian for a few seconds.

Yay let's fix MoP with a 10 min scenario by assassinating Varian in the past through Caverns of Time.
12/07/2013 08:26 PMPosted by Sentenza
I'm going with jump the shark for now, and hoping to be proved wrong.

Didn't MoP already do that to an extent?

Not really. MoP was a lot of experimenting by the Devs which is why it seemed so schizophrenic at times, some of it worked and some of it didn't. Not sure what lessons if any they learned.
Tbh I thought MoP was the "savior" as well, but as we can see there's always people who don't think so, which is fine, really! I mean to say, will WoD be capable of answering everyone's requests (to an extent) with all the shiny new content?
No, I don't. Everyone of course wants to blame x expansion for destroying WoW or the one to come is sure to be the doom of it. However, if you want to look at the obvious subs do say something whether people want to ignore it or not. WoW hit that astounding 12 million subs during the last patch of WOTLK which slowly then after started to bleed on release of Cataclysm. So far the bleeding has yet to stop and I don't see it stopping if Cataclysm was indeed the reason. Cataclysm was the mark of WoW going into a totally different direction and I think that is what threw a lot of people off. Vanilla-WOTLK brought many new features, but generally remained the same game we all knew and loved. With Cataclysm however it changed the core of the game. Its mechanics and overall way it functioned. MoP essentially was another Cataclysm, but again with a slightly altered core. WoD is obviously played out the same way.

Blizzard is removing and changing features that were present for many years. While I agree outdated it made the game what it is and it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to change the features or even remove them. Instead build upon them to make them more fresh. If I may use my own example talent trees were one of those big core changes. In Cataclysm it was made so you were forced to choose one talent tree before you could choose another and these trees were shortened on top of it. Essentially it felt like you just put all of your talents in one tree then the two you could put wherever you wanted didn't mean anything in the end anyway. While the talent trees we had pre-Cataclysm seemed to be "inferior" it took away something we all had which was a choice. Many players complain these trees were pretty much just cookie cutter EI you just looked up the best build for your spec and if you didn't use x build people would assume you were "bad". I'm afraid to say I was one of the players who refused to let others tell me how to play I enjoyed putting my talents where I wanted and did what I personally felt what best for my own toon not what others thought and in the end that didn't stop me from getting invited to PvP groups/raids.

Today we have pretty much no tree. Sadly these new talents all pretty much do the same thing just in a slightly different way so what you choose isn't going to make a massive difference for you. On top of that we had our choices yet again mutilated. If I had it my way to fix said inferior trees was instead of giving players less choice I would be tempted to give them more. My own idea? I took parts of both MoP and Cataclysm's talent design. A player gets to choose their primary spec just like they do today and you get all the primary spells with that spec however, with the talent tree all 3 trees are then merged together into one "Mega Tree". The player is then able to choose talents and some abilities from other specs than their primary. A player basically chooses their own spec. Of course thought would have to be put into talents too. Certain combinations would cause balancing issues so some talents would have to be altered if not taken out and replaced with a different one, but I think that's a much better idea than what has happened. I feel WoW is becoming another game with a heavily influenced World of Warcraft theme slapped on it.
I haven't seen anything I don't like, most of it is solving problems the playerbase has been asking to be fixed like running out of space, and things like player housing which we have been asking for. As long as most people can get over the time travel thing it should do pretty well.
Mizterdots, I loved your response. I hope it's okay if I can quote you.

I've always heard about cata being so terrible and read vague answers as to why, but you've really given some insight on as to WHY. Your look on talent trees is also pretty good. Again, I hope I can quote you.

As for everyone else (I sound like a jerk) I love what you all have to say. Did WoW need saving? (I also sound like a pesky reporter which I am not haha)
There's no need for a "savior" since wows not in danger.
I haven't seen anything I don't like, most of it is solving problems the playerbase has been asking to be fixed like running out of space, and things like player housing which we have been asking for. As long as most people can get over the time travel thing it should do pretty well.

I agree. They're definitely trying to cater to the players' requests on this one.
You do know the reason WHY blizzard cut those trees right? It was because in order to properly Raid or PVP you had to use X cookie cutter build anyways ie most of the player base were only using 1 of basically 3 builds for their class. There wasn't much leg room in the talent trees to play around with points as for each spec you had a lot talents that you had to have to even make the spec work properly and yes even WotLK which had the biggest trees suffered from this issue.