Rangers would be a fun class

General Discussion
Though I realize we'd never get them.

A ranger, in my mind, would be a mix of Rogue and Hunter abilities with no pets and camo being a permanent buff like stealth, but not as effective as stealth. The ranger should be able to dual wield one handed ranged weapons like small crossbows or pistols, but should suffer a penalty to aim with the OH weapon (though with hit and expertise being removed idk how that would work).

The 3 specs would be 1 rogue-like ranged spec (dual wield one hand ranged weapons), 1 hunter-like ranged spec (single two handed ranged weapon), and a rogue-like melee spec (dual wield one hand melee weapons).

For the dual wield spec, it would focus on quick hitting, instant cast shots and abilities such as arcane shot and serpent sting as examples. The 2 hand ranged weapon spec would focus on more powerful, longer cast attacks like aimed/cobra shot. The dual wield melee spec would give the Ranger additional hunter traps that are not available to the other two specs, as well as a number of slows and snares such as a return of wing clip. The melee spec would be the only spec to wear mail, the ranged specs wearing leather.

Just idle thoughts.
Apparently no one else thinks rangers would be fun. :-/ Fine. I'll take my thoughts and go play over there...
I always wanted an Elven Ranger class like in WC2...

http://wowpedia.org/Elven_ranger
So uh, a hunter that dual wields without pets?
Uhh...
So uh, a hunter that dual wields without pets?

Kind of, but they also have rogue abilities as well, like permanent camo (stealth) and ambush abilities that can only be used as openers while in camo. They can apply a few different poisons to their melee weapons if they are the melee spec, but their selection is limited compared to a rogue.
Though I realize we'd never get them.

A ranger, in my mind, would be a mix of Rogue and Hunter abilities with no pets and camo being a permanent buff like stealth, but not as effective as stealth. The ranger should be able to dual wield one handed ranged weapons like small crossbows or pistols, but should suffer a penalty to aim with the OH weapon (though with hit and expertise being removed idk how that would work).

The 3 specs would be 1 rogue-like ranged spec (dual wield one hand ranged weapons), 1 hunter-like ranged spec (single two handed ranged weapon), and a rogue-like melee spec (dual wield one hand melee weapons).

For the dual wield spec, it would focus on quick hitting, instant cast shots and abilities such as arcane shot and serpent sting as examples. The 2 hand ranged weapon spec would focus on more powerful, longer cast attacks like aimed/cobra shot. The dual wield melee spec would give the Ranger additional hunter traps that are not available to the other two specs, as well as a number of slows and snares such as a return of wing clip. The melee spec would be the only spec to wear mail, the ranged specs wearing leather.

Just idle thoughts.

Check out the level 100 hunter talents. One will give MM a damage boost when their pet is not out. So you have part of your wish come true. Also you are basically asking for a rogue spec for hunters, may as well play a rogue.
I think they kind of are turning Surv/MM into ranger specs. I can't recall where I read it, but supposedly there's a talent/ability coming out that gives the hunter bonus damage if the pet is not active/summoned.

It will probably be a PVP/PVE trade-off though. Do you want more damage or do you want the utility that a pet may bring to the table (Roar of Sacrifice, Intimidation, Master's Call, etc)?
I think they kind of are turning Surv/MM into ranger specs. I can't recall where I read it, but supposedly there's a talent/ability coming out that gives the hunter bonus damage if the pet is not active/summoned.

It will probably be a PVP/PVE trade-off though. Do you want more damage or do you want the utility that a pet may bring to the table (Roar of Sacrifice, Intimidation, Master's Call, etc)?

http://www.wowhead.com/talent-wod#h

It is With or Without you. It would be cool if when you picked it Bono started singing.
Sounds like a survival WoD petless hunter, with the glyph of camo.

Problem with new classes, most already exist in some fashion.
Hunters used to have meele weapons as stats sticks and have some melee abilities. It was all gutted from us. There is a new talent they previewed which essentially removed our pets in return for giving us a buff to make up for their lost dps.

From what abilities and changes they have revealed the hunter class seems like it may be able to go ranger like.

It's not really a bad idea. But it seems we are going that way anyhow. And since we can glyph camo which essentially gains us a stealth. The rare occasion I do pvp I abuse camo stealth to no end.
Hunters get a grimoire of sacrifice in WoD -_________-
Hunters get a grimoire of sacrifice in WoD ^_________^

fixt
fixt

After we get told that "WARLOCKS ARE A PET CLASS!!!!!" They nerf ours and give you the same ability. >_______>
Hunters without pets.
BOOM, ranger.
Next expansion hunters get a talent called With or Without You. It allows you to go without your pet for a nice buff to your damage if you are MM or SV.

There is also a glyph for camo that is not as effective as stealth because you get to be stealthed while moving, but you move at 50% speed.

That is as close as you can get without it being a new class.
/sigh...
Next expansion hunters get a talent called With or Without You. It allows you to go without your pet for a nice buff to your damage if you are MM or SV.

There is also a glyph for camo that is not as effective as stealth because you get to be stealthed while moving, but you move at 50% speed.

That is as close as you can get without it being a new class.

It really looks like the class he wants already exists and is call "rogue".