healing, holy power, spell/talent changes

Paladin
(This is long but I have a good point, so bare with me. I really would like some opinions and other suggestions)

As I am seeing it now, every one is saying to just heal the beacon target for holy power and then use light of dawn, word of glory and holy shock on the raid/group. In a five man this is fine. In a raid this doesn't always work. Healers are reactive, not a rotation spec. In a raid the tank may be constantly full (due to other healers) and the raid is taking a lot of damage. So in this situation you need holy power, but healing the tank is just plain stupid just because you get holy power from beacon. So you use single target heal and hope for procs on daybreak so you can continue to spam holy shock till you get enough holy power to raid heal more. I under stand that there are more options there than that, but my point is, spending three points on a talent that makes beacon almost useless is just wrong. No holy pally is comfortable leaving the beacon target alone to heal the rest of the group. This makes beacon only good for the holy power and its main ability useless since nobody else gets direct heals. So we spend four points to pigeon hole ourselves into healing one target for more of a resource that is NEEDED to do our part as healers and ruin a perfectly good support talent in the process. Beacon is a great talent that never gets used because we are all so hard up for holy power regardless of the fact that the beacon target needs heals.

so when the time comes to raid heal I would like to heal the raid and let the full beacon target reap the benefits of my job well done, and throw a few heals to the beacon target to fill the gaps that beacon cant fill. While doing this I would also like to be able to generate holy power consistently without over healing and just being wasteful by healing the beacon target unnecessarily. To me that sounds fun and what healing is all about. Be quick to react and manage health by rate of decline.

Maybe a change can be made to tower of radiance. So you get a 33-66-100% chance to gain holy power when healing the beacon target, but also gain 10-20-30% chance to gain holy power when healing anyone other than the beacon target. As it is now, holy power is abundant for tank healing. But if you make it attainable for raid healing, the clunkyness would subside a bit and the beacons primary function would be used.

Another change that could be made is to beacon, so it balances with tower of radiance a little better. right now if you heal the beacon you get nothing unless you have more points invested in tower of radiance. So maybe the reverse could apply here. When you heal the beacon target, the five lowest health players within a ten-fifteen yard radius will receive 10% of the heal. Or 50% of the heal can be divided among the five closest players within ten yards. in a way this would put beacon as a constant 150% healing ability in the best of situations and there would still be only six targets being healed like all other A.O.E. heals. It would also be small enough but still useful given the amount the tank is normally healed for. This would also be reminiscent of the old holy light glyph that would splash to nearby players.

If you combine those two Ideas it could be very interesting and no talent point is wasted. You could even make the new beacon glyph do this splash effect since I have heard that beacon will now be a five minute buff. The only problem I am seeing is the idea of having so many "free heals".

I would also like to have holy shocks cooldown be dropped to 4.5 seconds so it can be used on the same level as crusader strike and hammer of the righteous. I would also like to have my caster weapon have the same melee dps (min-max) stats as melee dps items of the same item level and speed. This way as a holy paladin I could fight back in world pvp and quest closer to the level that a dps player could. Yes I also understand that this will affect crusader strike for a holy paladin as well as seal of truth. But what is wrong with that? This could also benefit resto shaman and resto druids since priests have wands. I know most resto druids are actually just moonfire spamming or poping tree form. But at least the option would be there for cat and bear form.

I would love to hear some opinions and ideas from all healadins and shockadins about what I have said. Thank you for your time and I hope I have inspired a few of you.

Pern.
I am also in need of advice as well. I am still stacking crit for infusion of light and conviction. Anyone know if mastery will fill the gaps that haste is filling? Is crit still a good stat to stack since healing has been slowed down so much and haste seems to barley dent the cast time now?

Pern.
Is it normal to be out healed by other classes now? Since patch, people been telling me to heal more. Obviously some of our overall healing is in absorbs, so do Holy Paladins do more in absorbing nowadays? From a thread I saw earlier, it must be true that we're turning into disc priests :|

You should describe how you heal. Other classes are not blowing me away. But with the recent changes everyone has to be more thoughtful about what the do. We are no longer two-button healers.

I have described my approach in several other posts, but here it is again...

Taking advantage of the 4 piece set bonus on Lightsworn armor, I start my rotation with Holy shock, then follow with a fast Holy Light (from the set bonus). Next I have several choices...A slow Holy light, a Flash of Light, Light of dawn...I let the needs of the party determine what to do. simply make a quick assessment and pop which ever spell you think best...After one of two quick spells, I start the rotation again...Shock, fast light, something else...After 3 cycles, you have a full strength word of glory. An important feature of this rotation is that virtually all of them have relatively quick casting times and if you stick to it, you will literally never run out of manna. In times of truly heavy demand, I shift to popping a bunch of flash of lights, but then I have to go back to the rotation to build my manna back up.

Healing has become a whole lot more like dps...You need a rotation to get the most out of your gear.

He as given good advice. Quoted from Preditorr on Balnazzar.

ATM I am stacking mostly int still, but use some int/haste or int/spirit for socket bonuses and reforging I'm mixing it up for mastery (going to swap some gear towards it) haste and spirit. So far I haven't seen a problem with my healing or regen.
Healing has become a whole lot more like dps...You need a rotation to get the most out of your gear.

Yes and no. Yes, you need to understand the proper ToR rotation since that's the "ideal" situation, but incoming damage almost never lines up with ToR rotations.

Also, the poster is slightly wrong. In "ideal" situations Divine Light always follows holy shock to maximize Speed of Light usage. The proc (4P bonus and IoL) for HL will still be around afterwards. The same applies to Daybreak.

I am still stacking crit for infusion of light and conviction. Anyone know if mastery will fill the gaps that haste is filling? Is crit still a good stat to stack since healing has been slowed down so much and haste seems to barley dent the cast time now?.

You can't rely on IoL to heal. IoL is only a nice perk that helps you save mana. Don't gear for it. You need 30% raid buffed crit to keep conviction rolling. Beyond that crit = overheal. I broke it down here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1069856977#5

Mastery is bad because it lasts too short of a time when raid healing (unless its an aura fight), and when tank healing, you can't wait for the tank to take damage between every time you heal to maximize Mastery usage.

Haste and Spirit are still the way to go (provided you have ~30% raid buffed crit for conviction). Prioritize spirit until you have a comfortable level of regen. You probably won't go OOM with 0 spirit unless you're doing LK, then you need more since the fight's so long.

----------

Anyways, everything above about stats is honestly minor. Beacon isn't that bad. Tower of Radiance is NOT the reason you use beacon. Does it generate holy power? Yes, but you still use beacon to transfer heals.

Long version of how I heal: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1069856977#4
Your mileage may vary.

You can't keep a tank up with only beacon, but it buys plenty of time for you to raid heal then switch back to the tank. There's nothing wrong with using Divine Light to raid heal. If some moron's standing in fire, dropping a DL on that person then going back to the tank is perfectly fine. If you get heal sniped, go ahead and stop cast. The same applies to Holy Light.

And yes, in Devastate-type damage, you should be using Flash of Light to fill gaps between Shock and WoG because you need to get to as many people as possible.

Also, you don't NEED to use 3 HP WoG every time. When raid healing, 3 HP WoG is almost always overkill. 2 HP or even 1 HP is often enough to top someone off. Even tanks don't always need 3 HP (they usually will though). 3 HP is more a sign that you need to dump it, not an ideal situation. Otherwise you'll be wasting holy power.
In all honesty, the type of ICC damage that goes on, you're better off just flash of lighting the raid and tank with beacon up, holyshocking on cd, and using wog at 3 holypower. If you pay close attention to your mana management, which you should, drop to holy lights/wog/holyshock for max efficiency. Using speed of light on Divine Light/holy light is fine. At this level of gear and content, fights easily are short enough to sustain flash spam, and you can pretty much gain mana while holyshock/hs/wog forever when your mana becomes reasonably low.

In the end though, healing on live is completely different than on beta/in cata, so be prepared for a whole different ball game in ~3 weeks.

Yes and no. Yes, you need to understand the proper ToR rotation since that's the "ideal" situation, but incoming damage almost never lines up with ToR rotations.

Also, the poster is slightly wrong. In "ideal" situations Divine Light always follows holy shock to maximize Speed of Light usage. The proc (4P bonus and IoL) for HL will still be around afterwards. The same applies to Daybreak.

I am still stacking crit for infusion of light and conviction. Anyone know if mastery will fill the gaps that haste is filling? Is crit still a good stat to stack since healing has been slowed down so much and haste seems to barley dent the cast time now?.

You can't rely on IoL to heal. IoL is only a nice perk that helps you save mana. Don't gear for it. You need 30% raid buffed crit to keep conviction rolling. Beyond that crit = overheal. I broke it down here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1069856977#5

Mastery is bad because it lasts too short of a time when raid healing (unless its an aura fight), and when tank healing, you can't wait for the tank to take damage between every time you heal to maximize Mastery usage.

Haste and Spirit are still the way to go (provided you have ~30% raid buffed crit for conviction). Prioritize spirit until you have a comfortable level of regen. You probably won't go OOM with 0 spirit unless you're doing LK, then you need more since the fight's so long.

----------

Anyways, everything above about stats is honestly minor. Beacon isn't that bad. Tower of Radiance is NOT the reason you use beacon. Does it generate holy power? Yes, but you still use beacon to transfer heals.

Long version of how I heal: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1069856977#4
Your mileage may vary.

You can't keep a tank up with only beacon, but it buys plenty of time for you to raid heal then switch back to the tank. There's nothing wrong with using Divine Light to raid heal. If some moron's standing in fire, dropping a DL on that person then going back to the tank is perfectly fine. If you get heal sniped, go ahead and stop cast. The same applies to Holy Light.

And yes, in Devastate-type damage, you should be using Flash of Light to fill gaps between Shock and WoG because you need to get to as many people as possible.

Also, you don't NEED to use 3 HP WoG every time. When raid healing, 3 HP WoG is almost always overkill. 2 HP or even 1 HP is often enough to top someone off. Even tanks don't always need 3 HP (they usually will though). 3 HP is more a sign that you need to dump it, not an ideal situation. Otherwise you'll be wasting holy power.

I just saw Lythe's theorycrafting thread and I must say, it is very well written. The advice is also top notch. *thumbs up* but yeah listen to Lythe.
With the new light of dawn, I am finding healing versatility to be better. But I am still finding holy power generation to be clunky. I am finding myself over healing on the tank just to keep my options open with holy power. It just seems like there is way to much random number generation and cooldowns for a healer, and it's like we are encouraged to over heal as well.

With that said, if the random number generation became more reliable or consistent, then maybe healing as a paladin could become a little more fun and less a daunting task based on the best sequence to use spells, and more about being reactive to each situation. I find it sad that all of the paladins passive healing abilitys were taken away for the main fact that they were passive, and in turn paladins are told we are doing so well at 85 because we get a great aoe spell. That spell is a passive healing spell and you just stand near people. This has made hell for levels before holy radiance and it is quite irritating especially since it is the excuse given to us for why we are a little unbalanced now. So in the end it almost looks like holy paladins are just not holding up unless there is passive healing involved.

That is exactly why I have suggested what I have. I only want stability and less micro managing my heals for the sake of resource gains for more heals. I would like to just manage my resources to do the best healing I can. Holy power is feeling less like a fun new resource to utilize and more of a complication to become viable. I was a flash of light pally before holy power existed and I used all of my heals. I wasn't a one button wonder like holy bomb pallys and I still topped charts and did what most didn't think could be done as a flash pally. This says it is possible to use all heals smartly without adding complications. I hope the current state of paladins in general is fixed some time soon.

Pern.