Is priest a devoted healer?

New Player Help and Guides
I can't decide between paladin or priest. I love healing with paladin I haven't tried a priest, I'm re rolling a character for cata. I'm leaning towards another paladin cause healing, dps and tanking seems better for a long term character. I think priest would even be better because people wouldn't expect anything from me than to heal.

New paladin changes make healing quick and more effective are priest heals similar to new paladin changes?
I think priest would even be better because people wouldn't expect anything from me than to heal.
No, people expect you to do your job and do it well. None of the classes are expected to fill one role more than the other. If you're shadow, you're a DPS. If you're holy or disc, you're a healer.
Pallys heals and priest heals are extremely different, let me start with that. To simplify it, Pally heals are way less complex, and tend to only be applicable to single target scenarios. That's not to say they can't do multi-target healing, they're just not as good at it...

Priests have a very wide repertoire of spells for healing at the command. If you like complexity in healing, then priest is for you.

The small problem is, if you ever say you have a healing or tanking offspec, no matter what class you are, it's likely people are going to continue to ask you to use that spec, as tanks and healers tend to be more underplayed and more sorely needed than dps.

If you really want to just DPS, that's also fine, just make it abundantly clear what YOU want to be doing, and don't let them bully you around.
If you queue as a shadowpriest in LFD, it marks you as a DPS and people will respect that and not ask you to heal unless the designated healer leaves and LFD can't find one to replace them.
I'm thinking of rolling an Ele Shaman or a Shadow Priest come Cataclysm. I've never been to end-game before and I'm sure it's totally different than levels 1-79. But I think it would be best for me to pick a class that can heal but stick to dps for the time being until I'm comfortable enough to play a healing role. I was going to ask a similar question to this. So it sounds like if I roll a shadow priest and do not want to heal and do dps (at least for the time being) then I can join groups as dps and people are fine with that?
I'm thinking of rolling an Ele Shaman or a Shadow Priest come Cataclysm. I've never been to end-game before and I'm sure it's totally different than levels 1-79. But I think it would be best for me to pick a class that can heal but stick to dps for the time being until I'm comfortable enough to play a healing role. I was going to ask a similar question to this. So it sounds like if I roll a shadow priest and do not want to heal and do dps (at least for the time being) then I can join groups as dps and people are fine with that?

If you queue up as a DPS, and you join the party as a DPS... there is no reason anyone should force you to try and be a healer. Anyone who does is a moron.

There have been times as my Shadow priest where I've taken over healing in the event of a DC or death of a healer, but I choose to do that. Nothing says you have to do that either. (Though it'd probably be good if you tried in an emergency, at least. xD)

There are different talent trees for a reason. If priest wasn't meant to DPS, Blizzard wouldn't have given priests the Shadow tree in the first place. :P

That being said, I'd reconsider not running as a healer at first. Starting to learn how to heal at a low level is the best way to learn healing. Trying to go back and learn at end-game is going to be painful--everyone will expect you to already know what you're doing, and probably won't be very kind if you mess up. (Well, unless you have a lot of friends/guildies handy who will be able to run with you and help you learn at that point.)

You don't have to heal from level 15 if that's too intimidating, but don't wait too long to start, either. Do a random dungeon here and there, getting a feel for it. Read up on how to heal online or something. It's not so bad. :)

Good luck!

If you queue up as a DPS, and you join the party as a DPS... there is no reason anyone should force you to try and be a healer. Anyone who does is a moron.

There have been times as my Shadow priest where I've taken over healing in the event of a DC or death of a healer, but I choose to do that. Nothing says you have to do that either. (Though it'd probably be good if you tried in an emergency, at least. xD)

There are different talent trees for a reason. If priest wasn't meant to DPS, Blizzard wouldn't have given priests the Shadow tree in the first place. :P

That being said, I'd reconsider not running as a healer at first. Starting to learn how to heal at a low level is the best way to learn healing. Trying to go back and learn at end-game is going to be painful--everyone will expect you to already know what you're doing, and probably won't be very kind if you mess up. (Well, unless you have a lot of friends/guildies handy who will be able to run with you and help you learn at that point.)

You don't have to heal from level 15 if that's too intimidating, but don't wait too long to start, either. Do a random dungeon here and there, getting a feel for it. Read up on how to heal online or something. It's not so bad. :)

Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah I supposed learning to heal early on would be beneficial to me. I don't prefer being under so much pressure. But you're right...if I start to learn healing at 80 or 85, people will probably be a lot more ticked off if I don't know what I'm doing. I'm so torn between these 2 classes!! Maybe I'll just make both when Cata comes out (I'm waiting to be a Goblin) and playing both and eventually I'll find one to stick with. Thanks for the advice. :)
Thanks. Yeah I supposed learning to heal early on would be beneficial to me. I don't prefer being under so much pressure. But you're right...if I start to learn healing at 80 or 85, people will probably be a lot more ticked off if I don't know what I'm doing. I'm so torn between these 2 classes!! Maybe I'll just make both when Cata comes out (I'm waiting to be a Goblin) and playing both and eventually I'll find one to stick with. Thanks for the advice. :)

No problem~ I've never tried shaman healing myself, but it looks like a lot of fun. One of these days I'll have to give it a go and see if it's any more fun than priest is. :)

There will be a lot of starting players rolling new characters with Cata as well as old vets, and everyone will be trying to figure things out, so hopefully that means you'll get lots of friendly folks who will be patient and willing to help or learn with you in groups. My sister tried healing on a priest the first time the other night, and she got a really friendly group that was willing to go slower and give her helpful hints as they ran together. If you tell the group that you are new to healing, 3 out of 4 times the group will understand and be helpful. (At least in my experience.)

You'll probably get some jerks too at some point, but just learn to ignore them. I've found that the people who will complain and scream the most about your "bad healing" are usually the worst players themselves. Terrible tanks that can't hold aggro, DPS who pull things they shouldn't, etc etc. They usually just need to deflect the blame for the wipe onto someone else, like the healer. So as much as you may worry about your own performance... you'll eventually realize that it's everyone else that you have to worry about instead! xD
Thanks a lot. You seem like a very helpful person. Hopefully when I re-roll I'll meet more people like you in game
There will be a lot of starting players rolling new characters with Cata as well as old vets, and everyone will be trying to figure things out, so hopefully that means you'll get lots of friendly folks who will be patient and willing to help or learn with you in groups. My sister tried healing on a priest the first time the other night, and she got a really friendly group that was willing to go slower and give her helpful hints as they ran together. If you tell the group that you are new to healing, 3 out of 4 times the group will understand and be helpful. (At least in my experience.)

You'll probably get some jerks too at some point, but just learn to ignore them. I've found that the people who will complain and scream the most about your "bad healing" are usually the worst players themselves. Terrible tanks that can't hold aggro, DPS who pull things they shouldn't, etc etc. They usually just need to deflect the blame for the wipe onto someone else, like the healer. So as much as you may worry about your own performance... you'll eventually realize that it's everyone else that you have to worry about instead! xD

^ This.

I'm currently rolling a Disc Priest and she's low level. Usually, people are quite alright at those levels and it's also not that hard to heal the lowbie instances so you can learn and get used to your new spells as you start collecting them. :)
If you queue as a shadowpriest in LFD, it marks you as a DPS and people will respect that and not ask you to heal unless the designated healer leaves and LFD can't find one to replace them.

This is true; there was a time if you had a healing class you were expected to heal. I'm glad that opinion has changed. If you want to be dps, you can be dps.

Paladins and Priests are both strong healers.
I tried out an Elemental Shaman last night, and took him to level 15 and I must say I fell in love. I remember in BC/WotLK days I found Shaman kind of boring. But with the changes with 4.0, I actually enjoy the class more! Also I do NOT miss those "fetch the totems" quests that took forever. So it's safe to say I'm going with this. That way I can do my dps and eventually when I can dual spec I'll offspec in Resto. Thanks for all advice