BOAs! Overpowered or not? (you earned it)

Battlegrounds
Hi i have returned to wow for the 5th time since Vanilla, (lol)

I have to say this game keeps me coming back because all the new MMOs that i try just can't compare to WoW.

I have started a new character on an old realm with some buddys of mine. I am a BIG fan of PvP! (got 1800 rating 4 or 5 months ago)

any-who...

It's pointless to BG while leveling, and my friend that i convinced to try wow, is canceling his account because he says the PvP is unfair.

I think the problem is the lvl 29 Paladins, and rogues with BOAs and full enchants... Us new comers to a server have absolutely no chance!

Maybe scale down the BOAs just a little bit? Put some more strict level requirements on enhcants?

What does everyone else think?
The melee weapons scale far to well, instead of blue level, they are more t-words epic or possibly even legendary up till your 70's
Well, they do limit the enchants on BoAs (only enchants that can be applied to level 1 items are allowed).

I agree that the stat scaling is too high for BoAs. The big benefit of BoAs is the XP bonus grant. I don't think there would be too much QQ to tone down the stat scaling. BoAs being BiS or near BiS at any level is kinda excessive.

C
Well, they do limit the enchants on BoAs (only enchants that can be applied to level 1 items are allowed).

I should have been more specific. Alot of the level 1 enchant should be level 30 enchants IMO, But that won't happen because it has always been that way. It just unnerving to see glowing green weapons when your a new player and will never have the money for them enchants untill your level 80. (if you want your flying mounts and cold weather flight)
possibly even legendary up till your 70's

http://cata.wowhead.com/item=32837 vs

that BoA sword thingo thats name is super long:|
Level
Max Damage
186 - 345
DPS
Attack Power
Stamina
Critical Strike

closeish

maybe.
I know alot of people complain about stuff, and still play for wow, im just concerned Because my friend got to level 27 and just quit playing because of the BG situation. I tried to tell him that it is more balanced at level 80. But he just lost his will to play and insists the game is all about gear and classes, no skill.

I'm sure this is happening with alot of new players. But i don't think Blizz is sweating about it, they still have the majority of the market.

I'm not even sure why i made this post
I know alot of people complain about stuff, and still play for wow, im just concerned Because my friend got to level 27 and just quit playing because of the BG situation. I tried to tell him that it is more balanced at level 80. But he just lost his will to play and insists the game is all about gear and classes, no skill.

I'm sure this is happening with alot of new players. But i don't think Blizz is sweating about it, they still have the majority of the market.

I'm not even sure why i made this post

While BoA weapons are OP. There are far worse problems at lower levels than BoA gear.

While BoA weapons are OP. There are far worse problems at lower levels than BoA gear.

I can lolambush and one shot a clothie half naked and in greys.
When leveling alts I've run into usable blues which tend to have better stats occassionally. Most of the time though, when I find better weapons, it's because the proc that they have is worthwhile. The reason I typically don't take them is because they lack the enchants that I have and because even though they're better for 1-3 levels, after that, my boa's will be better again.

Typically a boa is going to be far better at really low levels since it will have enchants as well as stats AND you can have trinkets and a ring which typically aren't pieces you'll have at level 1. Also, because of how fast leveling takes place now, you often don't have time to keep the gear in all your slots updated, so you may be running around at level 45 with stuff you picked up at level 20 only because you haven't found anything better to replace it. Since boa gear ALWAYS scales to your level, you always end up with a good item rather than something that was good o so long ago.

Does it give an advantage at lower levels? Yes. But it's not an advantage that makes the game unplayable and usually seems like the difference between an ilevel 200 purple vs an ilevel 178 blue. Those numbers are not based on any crunching, just in terms of how I felt on my character that didn't have any boa's fighting other characters in boa's or in my character decked out in boa's fighting other geared lowbies.

I wouldn't really consider boa's to be OP if only because they are EXTREMELY easy to get and so common place that many people just expect them now.
But he just lost his will to play and insists the game is all about gear and classes, no skill.

Your friend is probably right. 80's is about the gear grind and FOTM classes.

Only in the twink battlegrounds do you see some measure of gear equivalency. Basically, you build your toon and compete against other people with the same gear. Skill then emerges out of that muddle. I can't say they are truly balanced because the devs have never cared about pvp balance at *any* level...they spend almost all their resources on endgame pve.

But he just lost his will to play and insists the game is all about gear and classes, no skill.

Dude that IS what its about even at 80...

The days of being an awesome Vurtne type pvper in #*#! blues against epics and winning died with BC/Resilience/Gems.

Unless of course you are a frost mage, because frost mages have always been overpowered as !*!%...but that just reinforces the point your friend made.
there is still some skill involved, I think. I got 9 hotbuttons set up (1,2,3,4,Q,E,R, and two side mouse buttons) and I know i can beat atleast clickers with better gear than me.
There is some skill involved, its more of knowing the enemy and your class and what you can use to counter what they use. However, if you run out of counters, well then its over and theres not much you could of done to change the tide.
I HATE BoA's. My favourite part of leveling is collecting new gear and creating an impressive set for my current level. I am disappointing at how quickly one can level now. There is no point in spending time upgrading your gear as it becomes obsolete SO quickly.

I remember leveling my paladin and getting the level 20 3.8 speed 2 handed sword from a rare spawn in SFK. I hit like a TRUCK after I got that. In fact, I remember most of the weapons my characters have gone through as they've leveled. It was such a great feeling when you got that new piece of gear. You would look in your stat sheet and see the huge increase of power you gained. That's what made leveling interesting to me. BoA's decrease the uniqueness of your character and take away the thrill of hunting down new gear.

So many interesting items that I will never roll need on. : \

I agree that the stat scaling is too high for BoAs. The big benefit of BoAs is the XP bonus grant. I don't think there would be too much QQ to tone down the stat scaling. BoAs being BiS or near BiS at any level is kinda excessive.

C

On an unrelated subject, Charax you are just as bad as I remember you were.
Boa gear is fine, I don't use it at all and have no problem beating those that do choose to use it.
Chances are there is an item that is just as good if not better at your level when compared to a boa piece. Just do some research, get a higher level to help you get your item, enchant it and be ready to pvp. Very simple.
I started a new warrior on a remote server with nothing at all, but after doing some dungeons and grabbing some greens of the AH I match up fine against BoA geared people.

Low level enchants are easily bought using gold earned from selling a stack of light leather which is what I did to earn the gold to buy my greens. Mining/Skinning can keep anyone twinked out as long as you're not in a desolate server with an empty AH.

A little effort in upgrading your gear goes a long way. Can't expect to walk in there with items 10 levels behind and do well.