Rockbiter question? / poss tanking...

Shaman
Hey so just started to play again with new patch wanted to kno what was up if rockbiter wep change means we are some what able to tank or OT. or if blizz planed on doing that with us or what. That with sham rage ... any thoughts. or any posts I could get linked that explain this more.
why would they make a wep imbue and spell for the unleash wep just for like 2 or 3 fights. Sounds stupid.
and the part of pulling mobs off of healers / dps also does not make much since most of the time if its a raid pull or boss its going to one shot healer or dps.... so again does not make much since.

Has any one tried useing a tank shield whie enhance yet? does it wrk at all or is it imposable to heal?
In case you dont have someone else to do the job, or in case they are too dumb to do it? Not like the pre-patch Rockbiter had better uses.
I kno it didnt but it just does not seem like them to change the spell for such a rare use.
I think its pretty clear that one point or another blizz wanted us to. The old talent tree with shield spec now this. I donno somewhere down the line I could see it happening it would only help the game with the lack of tanks it seems on many servers.

I use it to range tank keleseth. Well, I did once, but there's really no need for me to waste my dps on that. It would be great on a fight like mimiron when you NEED a range tank. With a slightly sub-par dps spec and rockbiter, you can get 29% magic damage reduction while casting and still do more than enough threat to keep other range from pulling, so ele shamans will in face be an excellent choice for mage-tank fights (like soul link warlocks now)
I'm looking forward to caster tanking in Cataclysm. We had mages do this in BC and locks in Wrath, as the above poster notes, elemental will hopefully be the go to caster tank in the xpac.
I think its pretty clear that one point or another blizz wanted us to. The old talent tree with shield spec now this. I donno somewhere down the line I could see it happening it would only help the game with the lack of tanks it seems on many servers.

It wont help the game by giving shamans the capability to tank as well as other tanks.

Reasons why:

1) Tank shortages are not because there aren't enough tanking classes. It's because tanking is thankless, not very fun, and at times absurdly overcomplicated when learning new fights.(HM LK25 for example)
2) We don't have a talent to be defense capped. Other tanks do.
3) We use mail gear
4) We don't have a "Bear Form" or "Defensive Stance" type ability.
5) We have 1 tanking cooldown as Enhancement and 1 tanking cooldown as Elemental that requires a glyph to even be a "tanking" cooldown.
6) We don't have gear to support a tanking build. There are no Mail pieces with Dodge, Parry, Block, or any extra armor / stamina values.
7) We have no other taunts on a short cooldown or AoE taunts.
8) We have no way to effectively generate a lot of AoE threat on mobs.
9) We are too reliant on RNG. Windfury and Unleash Weapon come to mind. Who wants a tank that generates enough threat only 30% of the time?
10) We have no spammable high threat ability like Heroic Strike or Maul.

It wont help the game by giving shamans the capability to tank as well as other tanks.

Reasons why:

1) Tank shortages are not because there aren't enough tanking classes. It's because tanking is thankless, not very fun, and at times absurdly overcomplicated when learning new fights.(HM LK25 for example)
2) We don't have a talent to be defense capped. Other tanks do.
3) We use mail gear
4) We don't have a "Bear Form" or "Defensive Stance" type ability.
5) We have 1 tanking cooldown as Enhancement and 1 tanking cooldown as Elemental that requires a glyph to even be a "tanking" cooldown.
6) We don't have gear to support a tanking build. There are no Mail pieces with Dodge, Parry, Block, or any extra armor / stamina values.
7) We have no other taunts on a short cooldown or AoE taunts.
8) We have no way to effectively generate a lot of AoE threat on mobs.
9) We are too reliant on RNG. Windfury and Unleash Weapon come to mind. Who wants a tank that generates enough threat only 30% of the time?
10) We have no spammable high threat ability like Heroic Strike or Maul.

You're kinda saying why Shamans can't be tank, not why they couldn't be tanks.

But yes, I agree, it's never going to happen.

Rockbiter is there so we can tank caster mobs (possibly some gimmicky bosses) or save a healer in emergencies. Possibly offtank once in a while when CC is unavailable.

Sure, you'll be able to tank regular 5-mans once you're overgeared for them, but that doesn't make us "tanks".

You're kinda saying why Shamans can't be tank, not why they couldn't be tanks.

First people who want to be tanks need to present the argument of why they should be tanks before the argument of why they couldn't be tanks is thrown out. :P
blizz has stated themselves that they have no intentions of making shammy tanks again.

HOWEVER,

I'm sure it will be possible (not standard though), just as it was in the past.
blizz has stated themselves that they have no intentions of making shammy tanks again.

HOWEVER,

I'm sure it will be possible (not standard though), just as it was in the past.

Less so now with Resilience not effecting PvE in any way.
Thanks for the replys again im not a shammy tanking fanboy or anything just like the idea and think that its possibility down the line blizzz could try. Just cuz they say they wont do something does not mean that it really means they wont.... IE race / faction change.

why would they make a wep imbue and spell for the unleash wep just for like 2 or 3 fights. Sounds stupid.

It is for kiting, range tanking, a counter part to a hunters distracting shot.
Great for getting all 5 people in a party impaled for achievement too. lol

Did this last night and it's the first time I've used Rockbiter in a very very long time.