Discussion on how to make Fishing more Fun!

General Discussion
None of us like fishing. I think that's a pretty safe statement to make. We might not all hate it, we might not strongly dislike it, but I doubt there's very many people here who enjoy it, or like it. There might be some who speak up and say that they do, but they really are either a small minority, or just plain out lying.

Fishing provides a lot of benefits. That much is clear. If you're a raider, you fish up the mats for making Fish Feasts, and other raiding foods. If you enjoy making gold, fishing is one of the best ways to increase your wealth. If you enjoy collecting pets, or getting achievements, there are a lot of vanity items and achievements related to fishing.

Maybe because of all these positives, there have to be some negatives too right? You can't get awesome epic loot from raids without wiping, so why shouldn't you go through the boring repetitive task of fishing for the rewards?

I would argue that it doesn't have to be that way. Fishing can and should be fun, while rewarding all the things it currently does. Making it more fun would increase the amount of people who fish, which is a good thing, since it's a huge part of the profession side of the game. It would also cut down on the amount of people who fish-bot, because most of the average player base who fish-bot do it out of the fear of the sheer boredom associated with fishing. I myself do not fish bot, but I know others who do (won't name their names) and it's pretty easy to see why.

My proposed changes are thus.

1. Remove schools of fish.

If you're trying to fish up Dragonfin Angelfish for example, you typically go to the river that borders Grizzly Hills and Dragonblight, including the lake up north. Now, even with the Kaluak fishing pole, a 100 fishing skill bait and maxed out fishing, if I cast outside of a Dragonfin Angelfish school, I am not guaranteed Dragonfin fish, and it almost seems like the 100 skill bait does nothing really to increase the percentage of the fish outside of the school.

So what winds up happening is I fish for 4 casts, most of the time the casts land outside of the pool, so I have to cast again, and after the 4 casts, I mount up, fly up the river, cast again, and repeat the process over and over again. What winds up happening is I am spending a good 3rd of my time mounting up, flying looking for fishing pools, and trying to land casts inside of the fishing pool.

It would be better in my opinion to just designate certain bodies of water for certain types of fish. Having a higher skill of fishing, using lures, increases the amount of fish caught on one cast. You could find out what bodies of water contain the fish you want by using Track Fish and opening up your zone map.

2. Reduce the channeled cast of Fishing

17 seconds is too long in my opinion. Shortening it to 6-10 seconds is more reasonable. There are many times when I sit there, waiting and waiting, only for the bauble to catch a fish with 1 second left and not catching the fish due to latency.

3. Take away the clicking mechanic on the bauble

This by far is one of the more annoying aspects of fishing. It provides an avenue for people to grief you while fishing (a guildmate of mine was griefed by some people while trying to do the STV fishing contest. He would cast into the pool of fish, but would be unable to click due to someone, who was a friend of one of the contestants, sitting on the bauble on their Mammoth, covering it up). It also requires the use and focused attention of both hands, almost as much attention as healing using raid frames, for such a boring and mundane task. I would suggest changing it so that your first hit of the fishing button casts the lure, and when the lure is cast, you hit the same button to reel in the fish when the bauble shakes.

That's all for now, if anyone would like to add anything (blue posters ;) ;) eh eh) feel free to add to the discussion!
If I could make even one tiny change I would make it so other bobbers didn't make any noise. I've clicked reflexively and lost my cast so many times when doing Jewel of the Sewers.
A long while back, like, back when Cata was first being announced, I recall a blue saying they wanted to make it more fun, kind of like a mini game, ala the Bejeweled mod or something, when the expansion hit.

Guess they scrapped the idea to make fishing less head smashingly boring, though.
I agree with everything you've suggested. I have started leveling my fishing over the last few days and these things have bothered me.

1. Someone suggested earlier that we should be able to reel in the line in order to catch our fish. If there was some sort of power bar that would display under our character frame, and we had to maybe balance it over a 8-10 second duration, that would be cool. I don't really think I'm being coherent, maybe someone will get what I mean and rephrase it.

Imagine a horizontal bar popping up every cast. On that bar a yellow dash will appear and you must hit the same keybind as your cast button in order to hit that yellow dash, which would be moving side to side horizontally every now and then. By hitting your cast key, your would try to match up your power level with that yellow dash. If done moderately well over a 5-8 second period, the fish is yours.

2. Another thing with fishing is that it takes quite awhile to level it. I've been fishing pretty much every day for 5 days at (embarrassingly 8+ hours) out of boredom while watching movies. Despite having completely nearly every achievement I need for the Accomplished Angler, my fishing is nowhere close to 450.

Besides taking so long to actually level, what real benefit is there to being maxed out?

3. I also agree with another suggestion of adding larger fish into several pools. It would be very exciting to catch a giant fish every couple dozen casts, which if right clicked, gave treasures, lures, other fish, etc. If these fish were harder to catch, in that we had to reel them in perfectly, that would be cool. It would make my eyes glaze over less, for sure.

Just some food for thought :)

TLDR; Add a power bar to fishing casts that has to do with reeling in fish, give us larger fish every dozen or so casts which contain rewards if pulled in perfectly, ease the process of fishing leveling while making the incentive to max fishing higher.
      Can you gain xp from fishing? If not, I would add that in.
      None of us like fishing. I think that's a pretty safe statement to make.

I love fishing in game. It is one of the more relaxing and fun things to do when you're not raiding or running dungeons for gear. I know that my partner feels the same way given the first thing she does when she creates a new character is cap her fishing skill.

Honestly fishing is fine, if it was any easier it would be easier to bot and the rewards would be even less valuable than they are now.
      I definitely think they could make fishing more fun. None of my characters have ever gotten their fishing skills over 100 or so (even though I do raid!) because it's just mind-numbingly boring for me. My eyes literally start to lose focus after I stare intently at the stupid bauble thing for long enough, and then I just give up and go do something that doesn't give me a headache. :(
      I actually like the pools being in the game. Before pools, it was incredibly boring as you'd stand in one spot fishing over and over again. The pools also tend to cut down on the efficiency of any bots as I doubt they are able to "find" the pools.
      None of us like fishing. I think that's a pretty safe statement to make.

I love fishing in game. It is one of the more relaxing and fun things to do when you're not raiding or running dungeons for gear. I know that my partner feels the same way given the first thing she does when she creates a new character is cap her fishing skill.

Honestly fishing is fine, if it was any easier it would be easier to bot and the rewards would be even less valuable than they are now.

I don't think our issue is that fishing is difficult, but instead that fishing is dreadfully boring at times. I do love being able to sit down and just relax while fishing for my sea turtle, but at the same time I think no one really has time to do that. The only reason I am doing this now is because cataclysm is coming and I don't have anything else to reasonably do.

If fishing required more interaction and gave more rewards, then people would be quite happy to level it, because it was fun, not because they were mind-numbingly bored with nothing else to do.
      Two things:

1) If you are standing near a pool and cast you always land in the pool. Casting a half dozen times to hit a pool is a pain.

2) Auto reel. Lets face it fishing for more then a few minutes can make your eyes glaze and you start missing when it is time to reel in. Keep it manual cast but make it auto reeling in.
      Two things:

1) If you are standing near a pool and cast you always land in the pool. Casting a half dozen times to hit a pool is a pain.

I've wanted fishing to behave like a targeted AoE spell for a long time. You could even incorporate fishing skill into it. At skill level one your casting circle is huge, maybe twice the size of a pool. You can still miss. At max fishing skill it could be smaller than the pool, letting you have a guaranteed pool landing every time.
      Being allowed to level fishing with engineered bombs. Engineers finally get something to sell, everybody has fun "fishing". Win/win.

But only on the Oceanic servers?
      I'll agree that fishing needs to be spiced up some. The turtle mount and vanity pets were a step in the right direction, but i also agree that the problem lies in its stale and boring mechanism, which has lead to botting as the OP mentioned.

I'd actually be interested in finding other things to do with the fish we've been catching other than eating them. Either finding a way to display them in an aquarium or maybe having a fish farm that we can stable them into and return later to collect their offspring, to then either sell, use as bait, or put to whatever other use you come up with for them.
      Blizzard already said, around the time they were making Cata, that they want to improve fishing.

It just did not make it in for Cata, I guess.

I would like real reasons to do trades like fishing, such as gear upgrades. If a guy is going to offer good gear for justice or valor points, why won't some guy offer good gear for fishing stuff? Why can't there be fishing dailies, and what not, which award so many points which could be used to eventually buy gear upgrades?
      I like fishing the way it is.
      I like fishing.. it is relaxing.