Draenei warlocks in Warlords of Draenor

Warlock
1 2 3 9 Next
If there was ever a time for Draenei warlocks to be plausible it is in the upcoming expansion, Warlords of Draenor. The Draenei we will be visiting are not a defeated and fleeting remnant of a race, they are proudly living along side the orcs of Draenor, which up until recently is moderate peace. At this point the Draenei do not know that kil'jaeden is behind it, and since the orcs will not be drinking the blood of mannoroth, this means that they will not be slaughtered by a legion of demons and warlocks, but will be met by the iron horde.

Does this matter? Well, yes. The Draenei haven't been completely ravaged by the Burning Legion yet. Their deep detest and fear of them is being replaced with opposition to the iron horde. With that being said you have more of a grounds to have Draenei that practice the fel, perhaps even as they see warlocks of our Azeroth aid them in battle.

After all, fel is merely the dark side of arcane, as shadow is to light. The Draenei are one of the strongest willed races in the game, and with the guidance of the naaru, I believe they would be able to practice fel magic without succumbing to corruption as do the other races of Azeroth.

One might argue that they would be killed on sight by velen and the like. Well the Draenei have proven to be a very forgiving race, forgiving even the blood elves and aiding in the reigniting of the sunwell. Furthermore if their Draenei started practicing fel magic safely, our Draenei observing would realize that the sky isn't falling, and that they don't gave to bury their heads in the sand if one of their kind is a warlock.

Another factor in support of their acceptance is the trend with other races such as the dwarves welcoming in the warlocks of the formerly ragnaros worshipping dark irons, as well as the night elves acceptance of arcane practice, which they had previously sworn against.

That's my initial argument. I will accept rebuttal with a level head and respond with rebuttal of my own. Let's all be open minded and respectful.

This is the last pre-expansion period that I will plead/argue for draenei warlocks, because beyond this window of plausibility it is pointless.

Come on blue post people see it and be convinced!
I agree that WoD would be a great time to add in Draenei Locks, although maybe the next expansion even more so. I can see it going like this:

1. WoD hits, Garrosh goes back in time

2. We follow him, the timeline changes. Orcs are no longer corrupted by the Legion's taint.

3. Rather than fleeing from the might of the Legion, there are those among the Draenei who choose to fight fire-with-fire and take it upon themselves to use Dark Magics in protecting their own.

4. Next Expac hits: Draenei Locks are now an option

What people need to not get hung up on is the view that Draenei are too good and would never embrace the Fel. While it is true that they are a race with close ties to 'the light' and the Naaru, if it meant scarfing themselves for the greater good they would do so. A Draenei Warlock is not one who seeks the power for his/her own gain, but for the betterment of all Draenei. It is a sacrifice, and would be a heavy burden for them.
I agree with everything you said in terms of your stance on the matter. Unfortunately blizzard said that the events in WoD wouldn't affect our current timeline as Garrosh's actions create a second offshoot of the present.
New class/race combos will not happen for a long time if ever. They will likely not roll out only one new one, and if we were getting a new race combo(s) for WoD we'd know by now. Ergo it's not happening.

So far Blizzard has went

TBC- New races
WoTLK- New class
Cata- New Races/new combos
MoP- New race and new class
WoD- Nothing

I figured this would happen in lieu getting a new class and race this expac. And I would still not expect new combos for the expac after WoD. It will probably be a class (and my guess also last) to fill a third mail slot and finish off the unbalanced tier tokens we have.
Would be cool but the Draenei left their home planet to avoid demonic corruption (unfortunately)
I doubt they would dabble in the dark arts while Velen is their leader or while the Naaru are still around to "guide" them, maybe if a group of Draenei were forced or exiled?
Hmm, interesting...
I don't feel like there will be absolutely no new class and race combos. I don't see why there wouldn't be. It doesn't really cause any balance issues that I can see. Also I feel like if there's no new combinations, then we basically know all the details of the next expansion, and it just seems to early for that.
I agree with everything you said in terms of your stance on the matter. Unfortunately blizzard said that the events in WoD wouldn't affect our current timeline as Garrosh's actions create a second offshoot of the present.

Not sure how timelines work in WoW, but couldn't the Draenei Locks be part of the off-shoot line?

Would be cool but the Draenei left their home planet to avoid demonic corruption (unfortunately)
I doubt they would dabble in the dark arts while Velen is their leader or while the Naaru are still around to "guide" them, maybe if a group of Draenei were forced or exiled?
Hmm, interesting...

hmm...interesting!
I think there's enough evidence to suggest that the Velen and Naaru would allow for there to be dranei warlocks. Theres evidence of velen being forgiving as well as the scenario I described where they realize it is ok. Also the Naaru aren't completely opposed to the warlocks since they told Velen that there would be more races that they would forge into an army of light against the legion, these races have warlocks. And I believe the Naaru, along with their strong will would keep them from corruption.
u know u just want sexy space goat dark magic casters :D
u know u just want sexy space goat dark magic casters :D

Yeah but I've got to make it try to make sense:p

I would, of course, be playing a male Draenei. So if you think they are sexy, I'm flattered.
Draenei's dislike of Warlocks and Demons predates Draenor.
If this happens, I'll race change in a flash. Wanted a Draenei warlock for god knows how long now.
At this point idgaf about the lore anymore, just give me my space goat.
Eredar are badass. I was always disappointed that Draenei couldn't be warlocks.

Their dislike predates draenor, but their outright detest and horror does not. And at any rate no race on the alliance likes warlocks. That's why in stormwind they hang out in the basement of the slaughtered lamb.
12/11/2013 05:12 AMPosted by Alphric

Their dislike predates draenor, but their outright detest and horror does not. And at any rate no race on the alliance likes warlocks. That's why in stormwind they hang out in the basement of the slaughtered lamb.

No other race is systematically hunted across the universe, nor wiped to the brink of extinction, by leadership of said Demons.

Hell, the original Horde pretty much only exists because Velen decided to take his ball and go home.

No other race is systematically hunted across the universe, nor wiped to the brink of extinction, by leadership of said Demons.

Hell, the original Horde pretty much only exists because Velen decided to take his ball and go home.

Right, well the actual hunting and decimation is being prevented by garrosh in this expansion. Without the orcs drinking the blood of manoroth the Draenei are not slaughtered.
Okay guys, imagine this: All Draenei Warlocks are the Red, Eredar color.

NEED!
Okay guys, imagine this: All Draenei Warlocks are the Red, Eredar color.

NEED!

They might could implement that through alternate skins like dark iron dwarves and such, but only just because they're warlocks doesn't mean they HAVE to be red, using Archimonde as an example.
Actually IIRC Draenei that go down the demonic/fel path definitely end up altering their appearance. The Draenei are exiled Eredar, as that is actually their race, Draenei is really just a title. The broken skin is a common theme for any Draenei/Eredar that goes down a fel magic path.

Plus the reason Draenei are hunted by the legion is because they are the faction Velen lead away from Archimonde and Kil'jaeden when approached by Sargeras. They may not be slaughtered if the Orcs don't drink the blood, but they're still going to be pretty appalled by any sort of demonic magic/transformation. The reason they even met the Orcs was because they fled from Sargeras and his demonic ways. At that point the damage is pretty much done.

Keep in mind that Velen (along with Archimonde and Kil'jaeden) was approached by Sargeras, and Velen saw Sargeras as a huge evil/demonic force that he wanted nothing to do with, and so he fled from that. Regardless of what changes in the past we can assume that the present isn't being altered much, and even if it is there is still that important event that can never reasonably be removed from the current timeline unless you just want to delete the Draenei from the game because if Velen doesn't flee Sargeras then he doesn't ever come to Azeroth.