dismiss pet nerf?

Arenas
Prev 1 13 14 15 26 Next
This change was intentional. Unfortunately, it didn't make it into the patch notes.

Dismiss Pet was frequently being used to bypass cooldowns on certain pet abilities, such as Roar of Sacrifice, or to swap out a dangerously wounded pet for one at full health. Neither of those were intended behavior. Furthermore, our design is that choosing your pet should feel similar to choosing a glyph or talent during pre-match preparation.

With this change, Hunters are able to switch pets during the pre-match preparation period, but unable to dismiss them once the match has begun.

What about making them able to take a sneeze before dying now?

Also, how much farther will this class get dumbed down? Is there no place for twitch play and thinking outside of the box anymore?

Hey at least i can flat get rid of the thing next expansion, thank god.

u think spamming dismiss pet is thinking outside of the box?
I wonder why you feel comfortable making changes in the midst of an arena season rather than waiting till the end of one.

While I understand that pet swapping in the middle of an arena match might have been unintended and so-forth, that has been going on for a LONG time now. Its not something that just cropped up this week.

When you make substantive changes to a class in the middle of a season, you throw existing strategies and perhaps entire team comps up in the air putting these teams at a significant disadvantage when compared to comps you haven't fiddled with. Right now, many teams may just decide to camp their rating rather than risk experimentation.

^So much this. Huge blow that helped distinguish good hunters from the rest. We didn't just lose a CD - we lose several and an entire class mechanic that actually -ohgod- required some skill and timing to execute perfectly. Hunters are a toolbox for these abilities and are expected to bring them to the arena. Now what?

Oh.. and what about warlocks?

Very, VERY unimpressed with these changes.

>:(
How is it that this didn't make the patch notes? Just kinda curious how things work at Blizzard and how this happened to slip through the cracks? GG
They are out of touch. Sad really
This is what happened when he WAS here. There is no difference before and after.

^
Agreed.
i feel like if somebody can get a 3 second hard cast off in a 3v3 arena then they deserve to be able to change pets
Furthermore, our design is that choosing your pet should feel similar to choosing a glyph or talent during pre-match preparation.

With this change, Hunters are able to switch pets during the pre-match preparation period, but unable to dismiss them once the match has begun.

Except Hunters already have glyphs and talents. Why do we get another thing to decide pre-battle that other classes don't have?

Don't lock our utility into Pets and then lock pets down to remove said utility. Otherwise, do that universally. Like it was said in another post, lock warriors and DK's into a stance, don't allow them to use abilities that aren't primary for their spec.

It's not apples to apples but the point is there; the class isn't complete without the ability to switch pets. You've designed it this way, so unless your intention is for 100% of hunters to run Lone Wolf at 100, stop treating the pets like a bonus - It's part of the class to have a variety of pets not an additional bonus on top of a completely rounded class.
i feel like if somebody can get a 3 second hard cast off in a 3v3 arena then they deserve to be able to change pets
. Weird, mages felt like if they pre temporaled (4sec duration) a garrote into cheap shot from a rogue they would be rewarded if the other team just pumped dmg into them for those 4 seconds.
cant warlocks still instant summon a pet with new fresh cooldowns too? and theirs is instant at least fix the cooldown of pet special abilitys
or at least give us pets with ablitiys that would compair to druid symbiosis even tho they can change that in the middle of an arena game
MAYBE they should make dimiss pet 5 second cast and interupptable or add a cd to dismiss pet

Horrible idea. Warriors would just laugh on the 5 second cast. They could just keep !@#$% slapping you around and you never get the cast off.
To balance this, EVERY class with a pet should not be able to swap pets. If the hunter cant swap pets mid battle, then a lock shouldnt be able to either....cause of the "buff" crap...its just a simple fix, if you have one pet out and use the buff but then dismiss just have the buff fade....or NINJA nerf a class and piss off an entire class just to "balance" (unbalance) PvP....man maybe Ghost crawler left cause of this "should have been in the patch notes" BS your pulling....pretty pathetic.
so if im understanding correctly, you dont think there is a big enough opportunity cost with regard to switching pets.

but its completely ok for an arms warrior to use shield wall with a 2H weapon equipped and still go to town, doing full damage.

logic...where is it?

BY THE WAY, I still do 50% less damage with divine shield up. wheres my buff? I would love to use my major defensive CD with no penalty. as for pets, is dismissing a pet, or reviving one (which have cast times) worse than say, soulburn summoning one (thats instant, btw).

hey! lock pets have different abilities too! like a silence, a disarm, and others...kinda like hunter pets with different abilties!

its almost like hunters are being singled out for no apparent reason.

Locks have always been given the special treatment. Remember in the day when their fear that was "supposed to sometimes break on damage" only broke on damage when the damage killed you. For the longest time locks were the kings of pvp with their fear, dot and forget you. Even now the fear doesn't break very often and a semi decent lock can keep you feared till you are dead. Especially in a 1 on 1.
wait, is this only in arenas, or while marked as "in combat"?
either way, i highly doubt they forgot to add it in.
As a followup: we've got a hotfix in the works to lower Revive Pet's casting time to 2 seconds. Our goal was to remove the awkward gameplay of dismissing/swapping pets to bypass cooldowns and debuffs, not to make it harder for Hunters to have a pet active. With Revive at 2 seconds, you should have a much easier time getting your pet back on its feet.

We're also investigating the reports of Revive Pet being interruptible through Deterrence.
Just from an outsider's perspective: Warlocks aren't weasely with their pets, hunters are. Dismissing a pet at low hp to avoid ressing, and getting a new CD in the process is a weasely mechanic which shouldn't exist. Come on, we all know this, I was doing it in Wrath. And yeah, most of the lock's talent tree revolves around which pet they will use and how they will interact with it. So their pet basically is decided before the gates open -- it's not even remotely comparable to hunters.

Just like how my class has some weasely mechanics I wish didn't exist. It makes people new to the class fish around for tips all the time, doesn't require much skill, and makes you feel guilty. The game should be balanced around real mechanics; every single member of one class shouldn't be forced to use weasely ones, IMO.
hunter pets living wasn't intentional
When I enter arena, I have a set pet that im going to be using for the entirety of the arena match, I dont summon every single pet I have, if I start with my observer, im 99.9% of the time going to play with that one pet for the entirety of the match. Also; resummoning a pet in arena has a 1 minute cd.

Suck it up kids.
Someone clear this up please, does this only apply to arenas or applies to other things too (like battlegrounds, duels, etc.)