Why did you choose to play a priest?

Priest
Just wanted to see how everybody first chose to play a priest. When I started playing I originally rolled a mage because I wanted to play a caster but did not know much about the other casting classes. One day I was strolling around Orgrimmar and saw a goblin shadow priest. It was at that moment that I logged out and created a priest. Once I saw shadow form I thought it was the coolest thing ever haha
I read the class descriptions back in vanilla. I can't remember it but something how it was worded made me think I could dps with holy spells which sounded really fun. (Come to find out that wasn't the case)

Then I proceeded to level as holy in original wow and I'm surprised I made it to 60 looking back. Just kinda been playing it ever since.
Because I love the sound of Prayer of Mending.
I wanted to wield the light but didn't want to be a paladin.

I typically play two types of classes in RPGs. Insane, evil spellcasters or clerics. Since I don't much care for the way warlocks were implemented (in lore, gameplay is fine) in this game cleric it was!

I also like the idea of being just a support person. A priest is there to help. Priestly orders aren't in the spotlight, they aren't the heroes of the story or on the front lines. They rarely get mention in the tales told after the heroic deeds are done but they are nevertheless necessary.
I like the idea of being behind the scenes, unnoticed, but making the fights possible so that everyone else gets to have fun and do their job. That feeling if "you were able to accomplish that because I was there" is cool, especially in BGs when you find someone good to pocket heal and you help them go 40-0 :D
I love to heal. I have 2 of every other healing class. 90 Tauren shaman, 80 Orc shaman, 90 Tauren Druid, 74 night elf Druid, 85 Draenei paladin(mainly used in wrath/cata), 75 blood elf paladin.

So, one day an idea popped into my head. If I love healing so much, why don't I roll the class that has two dedicated healing specs..? So far, I'm not necessarily in love with the play style, but I'm hoping that changes when I get more core abilities.
I have no ******* idea. I was given a scroll of ressurection and chose to boost my priest to 80. Biggest mistake ever! Our survivability is atrocious compared to other classes. I should've chosen shaman or druid.
Shadowform. It didn't hurt that it also gave me an alt that could heal.
I got my shaman in vanilla to 45 leveling as resto and joined the best guild on the server, the one that was headed to MC. When I did Mauradon with a guild run, they wouldn't let me heal because "shaman are dps only", so I rerolled a priest.

When I got to 45 on the priest, I was asked by the GM to switch back to the shaman to finish leveling as resto because they realized shaman were needed to heal in MC and priests were needed as dispel bots on the first boss in MC, but I was hooked on shield and fade and refused and stayed priest.

I have since leveled every healer to max level every xpac, except shaman, never have had a max level shaman oddly.
Wanted a healer, but liked the penance graphics and also shadow form (hardly play shadow now lol!)
I basically started a priest with a desire to be a healer and helpful player. I've suffered my share of wipes and vitriol hurled my way, but I love the class. If you want to handicap yourself and face challenges in leveling, pvp, raids, healing; priest is the class.

There is a real art to playing priests and it's also nice to play as a helpful priest. I buff people and heal strangers. I try to be courteous and not be a nasty to other players. I'll rez people in dungeons even if they're trolls or horrible players. Everytime anyone dies, I feel like crap. If their pet dies, I feel it! I can honestly say after leveling a lock, rogue and hunter (and dabbling with every other class); I like priests the best. They just fit my personality.

I've been on my Draenei priest lately, but my heart belongs with my undead priest who I leveled 1-85 strictly holy. Priest be rockin'.
ATONEMENT!!! I wanted to play a healer, but don't like the way most healers play, I find myself far too often casting a heal on someone and someone heals them a fraction of a second before mine finishes casting, and I wasted my time and mana. Plus I really hate clicking on raid member names. Then I saw disc, I get atonement so I don't have to worry about getting my heal sniped, and I get bubbles so I don't have to worry about wasting mana on overhealing much. Not to mention I get to add a little bit of damage as well!
I rolled a hunter, played some end game. then rolled a mage, then a lock. I started doing arena matches with my mage and found the priest, disc priest at the time nearly impossible to kill even when being focused. I thought I have to see what this is all about. My main has been a priest ever since. I've leveled all the healing classes too, but my priest is my baby. I love this class!

What keeps me playing priest? I switch between all the specs all the time too, just to keep her interesting. I just know every spell, every ability, all the pros and the cons of this class. This is also the only class I've been able to key bind almost all of my abilities and play confidently. I don't really pvp much anymore - as family life has stripped me down to basically my two night a week casual guild runs. But without priest in wow, I just wouldn't play. No other class has captured my attention as much as this. It's a love affair.
wanted a healer for faster Ques and Priest was the first on the list when creating a new toon
I recruited my friend to the game during TBC, but my main was too high to play with him. He wanted to play a warrior, so I made a priest to heal him through dungeons to make the game fun, and to teach him how to play. I Liked the class so much I just ended up making it my main.
Back in Wotlk shadow was much better at pvp for one simple reason. There were no such thing as shadow orbs, so our root, physic horror (not the AOE fear but the root) could be cast as well as DP our hardest hiting dot.

So in wotlk, we had silence, aoe fear, root all without losing damage.

Thats what made me fall in love with the shadow priest.
I wanted to be a holy class but I didn't want to roll paladin. Then I found Shadow.

... and I have a level 90 Holy Paladin. >.>
ATONEMENT!!! I wanted to play a healer, but don't like the way most healers play, I find myself far too often casting a heal on someone and someone heals them a fraction of a second before mine finishes casting, and I wasted my time and mana. Plus I really hate clicking on raid member names. Then I saw disc, I get atonement so I don't have to worry about getting my heal sniped, and I get bubbles so I don't have to worry about wasting mana on overhealing much. Not to mention I get to add a little bit of damage as well!

Pretty much this. Atonement makes me really love to play a healer.