Vanilla Gameplay

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I was thinking back the other day to when I first started playing WoW, and I know I'm not the only one who misses vanilla. Does anyone know if it would be possible that Blizzard could make servers that are only vanilla content? Or updated only to BC, etc? And if it's possible have they ever thought of it? Just out of curiosity.
This was asked during the Q&A panel at blizzcon and the answer was a resounding no from the devs on stage. At this point in time I don't think it's a possibility, but nothing in the future is ever set in stone.
They feel the cost would not be worth the return.
This gets posted almost every day. Wall of no will be incoming shortly, and people will not be nice about bringing it up yet again.

The short story is, even if they wanted to they could not. The code does not exist anymore, and was not saved/archived. It's gone. Irretrievable.
Blanchy really likes these topics.
This was asked during the Q&A panel at blizzcon and the answer was a resounding no from the devs on stage. At this point in time I don't think it's a possibility, but nothing in the future is ever set in stone.

This one is....the code literally does not exist anymore. Couldn't do it even if they wanted to. The coffin is sealed, lowered into the vault, dirt piled on, tombstone set, and time has turned even that to dust. Dead deal...not possible, even if the entire wow community demanded it and threatened to cancel subs...just not possible anymore.
This gets posted almost every day. Wall of no will be incoming shortly, and people will not be nice about bringing it up yet again.

The short story is, even if they wanted to they could not. The code does not exist anymore, and was not saved/archived. It's gone. Irretrievable.

Thank you for the clarification, the coding is exactly what I was wondering about for if it would even be possible.

I had no idea anyone asked about it and I think it would be something for them to consider, especially because of the constant talk of each expansion losing more and more players.
My time in vanilla running around leveling up with friends was epic times. However, vanilla game play SUUUUUUUUUCKED. Absolutely sucked compared to what we have now.
People should just drop this issue forever.
12/20/2013 12:26 PMPosted by Madcowmoo
I was thinking back the other day to when I first started playing WoW, and I know I'm not the only one who misses vanilla.

The horrible grind to 60? Zone hopping to find quests? The raiding that was as simple as 5-man dungeons? 1 button spell spam?

Or is it just the freshness you miss, the new game smell. Which I imagine is a lot like car-freshener and cookies.

Vanilla wasn't good (imho) compared to the game it's become, I personally would never want to go back to that time.
...it's not even Sunday yet. Good grief.
I had no idea anyone asked about it and I think it would be something for them to consider, especially because of the constant talk of each expansion losing more and more players.

I wasn't around for vanilla, but what always gets said in these threads is that people remember vanilla with "rose colored glasses". They only remember the good. After thinking back on it for any real time at all, they remember what a horrific grind it was, no maps of anything instanced, no riding until ridiculous level and it cost a mint to buy even then, etc,.... Some of the less scrupleless people visiting servers they should never visit get reminded of this within minutes and lose interest immediately (after which they get hacked due to visiting said servers, get their pcs compromised, and all manners of other horrific things).

Long story short....don't trust your memories. You're only remembering the ice cream, birthday parties, swimming pools, and amusement parks....you've repressed the memory of all the far more frequent beatings, diseases, sweatshop sewing fingers bloody for celebrity clothes lines, being locked in closets, going hungry, etc,..... The bad outweighed the good...you just aren't remembering the bad, or the volume of the bad. Life is much better now than it ever was back then.

added edit: oh, and you probably can't see it but this topic went "toxic" symbol within seconds of being posted...that's how little tolerance people have for this idea, and how sick they are of people bringing it up...grin.
12/20/2013 12:39 PMPosted by Cendy
I was thinking back the other day to when I first started playing WoW, and I know I'm not the only one who misses vanilla.

The horrible grind to 60? Zone hopping to find quests? The raiding that was as simple as 5-man dungeons? 1 button spell spam?

Or is it just the freshness you miss, the new game smell. Which I imagine is a lot like car-freshener and cookies.

Vanilla wasn't good (imho) compared to the game it's become, I personally would never want to go back to that time.

I totally agree that these were aspects that sucked. I'm not saying they should start from the very beginning, I hated the days where you had to get five people together and travel alll the way to the zone for a dungeon run. What I'm saying is that it would be interesting to see Vanilla with mistakes they initially made corrected. Imo I think it was one of the coolest raid content with equally awesome gear (I'm not saying for all classes since I know rogues will jump on that one). And yes the raiding was easier but that's not set in stone either.
You don't miss vanilla.
You miss the feel of a new game where you didn't know everything.

That goes for 90% of us that "miss vanilla."
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=classic%20&f=post

there, somewhere in those 54 THOUSAND forum posts is the exact same question and all the answers and did someone link the Wall of No - Youtube version yet?

Also, OP, you're a Paladin, and a Tauren, so, you wouldn't have existed unless you're Alliance, and you'd better learn to love refreshing your buffs.
12/20/2013 12:44 PMPosted by Adiathna

I wasn't around for vanilla, but what always gets said in these threads is that people remember vanilla with "rose colored glasses".

This is such bull. It's funny how often this gets said. I hate how players nowadays automatically try to diffuse anything brought up from classic WoW (probably because it's a complete 180 to what they want the game to be).

A lot of what you guys think made Vanilla bad is probably what made it great for a lot of us. The game strived heavily on server communities. Everything had meaning to it back in the days. People probably say things like WoW now has better systems, but on the other hand a lot of people will argue that those systems killed off the aspects of WoW that were most important to them.

I remember Vanilla WoW like it was yesterday. Bandaging between each quest mob as a warrior and grinding yeti caves for levels when I was out of quests.... I'd still play that version of the game over this.
For you OP,

"The Clip of No!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBy8JDi-OqY&t=30m24s
The code does not exist anymore, and was not saved/archived. It's gone. Irretrievable.

Source please. As a software developer, that sounds absurd on the face of it.
I remember Vanilla WoW like it was yesterday. Bandaging between each quest mob as a warrior and grinding yeti caves for levels when I was out of quests.... I'd still play that version of the game over this.

grin...and from what has been said on countless (54 thousand I think someone linked above) threads, you be playing there alone....if not on day one, certainly by the end of the week.

Me...I have no reference...wasn't there, don't know. But can 54 thousand unanimous postings really be that wrong?
Do you realize "Vanilla" is only 20% of the entirety of WoW, and was almost a DECADE ago?

If you long for a simpler time, why not go play The Lost Files of INFOCOM?

...No it's actually two thirds of atm based solely on levels, and I'm not sure of the actual numbers but I believe it has more if not as many zones as all the the expansions combined. Count the questing in all of them, and you find that your simple 1/5 math is not as smart as you thiink it is.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=classic%20&f=post

there, somewhere in those 54 THOUSAND forum posts is the exact same question and all the answers and did someone link the Wall of No - Youtube version yet?

Also, OP, you're a Paladin, and a Tauren, so, you wouldn't have existed unless you're Alliance, and you'd better learn to love refreshing your buffs.

I don't happen to go on the forums a lot and search, my fault for not looking it up. And true this toon didn't exist in vanilla but like I said, going straight to what the game was like originally would be horrible. Full agreement. But they wouldn't have to do that, because some changes have been incredibly successful, and they could implement them just as they did in patches with other expansions.