Literally 0 win from duels.

General Discussion
I've only been playing WoW for 2 weeks, but I think I know the mechanics. Sure I might not be as good as someone that played for a longer time, but I seem to lose by a large margin. On Random BG (love this), I feel very vulnerable. Is it my gear? I notice a lot of people have PvP specific stuff, but I want to contribute the best I can.

Any suggestions for a newbie? Grind for gear? Practice on dummies? Should I stop altogether?

Ps. Is Random BG the same as ranked? I notice I have 0 rank points. Does this mean I suck horribly?
Your level 60 teir talent does about 2k damage to a player and heals you for that same amount, and if you spec frost you can cast it twice back to back with death runes. Its super easy to win duels as a dk at that level I beleive :p

Also no Rated Bgs are someting only to worry about at max level, until then just keep having fun in random bgs.

If a player has a max level toon, they prob have BOA's (powerful leveling gear that gets stronger as you level) making it harder to defeat them in a duel.
Yes it's partly gear and unfortunately at lower levels it's really bad and the best advice honestly is to get max level asap. People "twink" at lower levels and you really won't be able to do it unless you have a max level character.

No randoms is not the same as "ranked" or rated bgs. You will be able to do them later.

You also aren't using any glyphs which help a lot, but again just get to max level. The gold and resources you need to maximize your character is much easier to acquire when you are higher level.
First off, welcome to WoW. Secondly - when it comes to PvP, there is a pretty steep learning curve... it's not just "knowing the mechanics". It's knowing the core abilities of EVERY CLASS in the game, and how they interact. As a death knight, you need to get experience with how different classes will try to take you on. A rogue will not attack you the same way a mage would, or a hunter, or a monk, et cetera. Practicing on dummies really won't be helpful; dummies don't hit back, dummies don't CC you, dummies don't move, etc.
If you're interested in PvP, just keep practicing. Random battlegrounds (NOT the same as rated battlegrounds) are a great place to start. Try to learn the objectives of each battleground - even if your gear/skill are not elite, you can still help your team win if you know what you're doing. As far as gear - until you get into the L85-L90 range, honor and conquest points are hard to come by. You can visit the auction house to see if there's any decent crafted PvP gear available - lower level crafted gear can sometimes be very abundant (and cheap) since people will make gobs of the stuff while they're levelling their tradeskills.
Best of luck. :-)
Also, duels aren't really a test of skill. They're fun but if you really want to learn your class as a PVPer keep doing random battlegrounds and if you see a really good death knight maybe watch what they do for a bit.

Once you get higher level there are many sites that give great information on your class. I personally recommend going to www.icy-veins.com they have a wonderful guide on every spec and class that will help you get started.

Don't worry too much about anything you do before you hit max level either. None of it matters really. Classes are imbalanced until max level and "twinks" (people who spend thousands of gold making a perfect low level character to smash new players like you) are very popular.
BG's before 90 are generally not very level as far as the playing field goes. You will have much more fun at 90 after getting PvP geared.

See you on the battlefield
I see... Thanks a lot, all. The main thing is that I have a lot of fun playing Random BG, and while people don't pick on me (I don't do that bad, I just want to help out even more.
Practice on BG sounds fun. Thanks for all the helpful comments!
Such a great community!
Just level up dude and gank those "twink" low level noobs.
First off, welcome to WoW. Secondly - when it comes to PvP, there is a pretty steep learning curve... it's not just "knowing the mechanics". It's knowing the core abilities of EVERY CLASS in the game, and how they interact. As a death knight, you need to get experience with how different classes will try to take you on. A rogue will not attack you the same way a mage would, or a hunter, or a monk, et cetera. Practicing on dummies really won't be helpful; dummies don't hit back, dummies don't CC you, dummies don't move, etc.
If you're interested in PvP, just keep practicing. Random battlegrounds (NOT the same as rated battlegrounds) are a great place to start. Try to learn the objectives of each battleground - even if your gear/skill are not elite, you can still help your team win if you know what you're doing. As far as gear - until you get into the L85-L90 range, honor and conquest points are hard to come by. You can visit the auction house to see if there's any decent crafted PvP gear available - lower level crafted gear can sometimes be very abundant (and cheap) since people will make gobs of the stuff while they're levelling their tradeskills.
Best of luck. :-)

Welcome! There's some good advice in this thread.

Some realms have locations where players gather to duel, generally outside the entrance to capital cities. Bring plenty of bandages and the like.

It's worth noting that dueling isn't the same as organized PvP, largely because 1v1 is a whole different ball game. In a duel, using all your cooldown abilities is an option. In group PvP, you'll need to learn to make do with what you have in the moment (and some players will intentionally engage in duels while important abilities are on cooldown specifically to try to develop techniques to compensate for not having them). Nonetheless, I've personally found that dueling teaches very useful PvP skills that can be applied elsewhere and a whole lot about what each class and spec can be capable of.

If you're friendly and a good sport, you can make friends with players who are skilled at classes that give you trouble, and such players might be willing to help you figure out how you can do better against their class.

Finally, don't underestimate the power of arranging your control scheme to suit the way you want to play. Many players find it useful to learn how to use their mouse to move, and key-bind all their important abilities. If you haven't already done so, it might be worth looking into. Having critical abilities available at the split second you need them makes all the difference.
Do BG and try to get into a lot of 1v1 scenarios, and duel a lot of people at your level.

You'll learn a lot from who you go against and the more you lose the more you learn on how to counteract that class.

There are of course PvP guides out and about if you want to get a crash course, but please keep in mind that you are low level and PvP is severely unbalanced so you wont see a somewhat fair fight until you reach the 85-90 bracket.
I know leveling has gotten easier... but 65 in two weeks? That in and of itself is pretty impressive IMO. I know they've eased up the leveling process quite a bit, but I think it took me better than two weeks to get my DK to 65 (from 55), and months to get my first character to 55.

As far as pvp goes... listen to everyone else, I did a /ragequit back in BC after the first round of warlock nerfs (it stopped being fun when I couldn't 1 shot ppl with soulfire crits anymore)... haven't been back since. That said, pve has kept me fairly well occupied for the last 6.5-7yr *grins*
PvP is a completely different ball of wax than PvE. Like Kelvv mentioned it's not even remotely balanced at lower levels. So don't let losing bother you much.
It's more about control, counters and bursting when you have the advantage. Learning to use defensive cool downs, when you know he is going to unload on you. Each class has strengths and weaknesses, you have to play off that.
If a class is giving you fits, i highly suggest rolling that class and checking it out. You will learn it's weaknesses pretty quickly.

I use to learn a lot more from getting my butt handed to me than when I won a fight. When you do get right into it, remember to read the patch notes on EVERY class!! Things change like the wind.

Welcome aboard, this is a fun game. (try pve too)
All the keybinds in the world isn't going to save you from twinks in lower level.

You are going to get steamrolled by heirlooms up to 70. 75-84 you are going to get steamrolled by cata/mop twinks.

Let's be honest here. This is a gear-based game and if your gear isn't up to par you are going to get smoked.
Welcome to the game. The first thing you should understand is that the game begins at max level (90.) Leveling is fun for its own reasons but if you are taking the time to consider the game in a serious or competitive way, the only thing you should be focused on is getting 90.

The first character can be difficult as you will need to build up gold and professions with essentially no knowledge of systems.
Take your time and don't rush through it or you will find things less interesting the more you push.

With some luck you'll manage to get your toon where you want it before WoD comes out, and by that time you'll be ready for your first "leveling your main" experience, which is easily my favorite time in the game.
Nothing better than equal-footing leveling and 5 man progression.
Expect to die a lot in pvp, it's just the way it goes. You'll want to arrange a toolbar for pvp and a different one for pve because those two are very different for what spells you want to use.

I can't give much advice on how to win duels, but for BGs try to stick with a group as you'll last much longer and kill your opponents faster.
I'm in full Grievous (the best pvp gear you can buy) and you're in blues and greens.

Yes; it is entirely your gear. When you catch up (and you can) you will start wrecking faces.

Tips of advice: Conversion is a life safer. If you are frost OR Unholy use a two-handed weapon. Runeforging your blade is good, I think the best one is that Gargoyle one for DPS.

Tips to get honor: Run Grizzly Hills dailies at the bottom of the map in venture co. area for 200 honor a day, also run Isle of Thunder dailies for 500+ honor a day. Run Tol Barad and Wintergrasp and try to win for 500 and 400 honor per win respectively. Farm the Krasarang Rares in the Domination Offense for 275 honor per kill (You might want to bring a friend for this, but don't worry you'll both get loot). Do all of this in addition to BG's and your honor will skyrocket.

Buy full tyrannical gear then ask for an arena partner. It will suck, but once you cap you can buy Grievous gear and eventually get as geared as me :)

Edit: Oops...those are tips for level 90...did not see you were level 65 :x
I know leveling has gotten easier... but 65 in two weeks? That in and of itself is pretty impressive IMO. I know they've eased up the leveling process quite a bit, but I think it took me better than two weeks to get my DK to 65 (from 55), and months to get my first character to 55.

I just leveld this character in 2 days, 12 hours of play time. It doesn't take long at all.
I miss the Vanilla days of dueling outside IF - kiting AQ geared Warriors around with rank 1 Frostbolt

When DKs first came out I was 65 by day 2 of them being available. You are in outland by the time you're done with the DK starter zones and with the new leveling changes you can be 65 within a few days of playing an hour or so each night for a week, without heirlooms.

When I leveled my monk I had 0 heirlooms and I finished Outland in about 12 hours, Northrend took a bit longer.

As far as the OP's pvp concerns, Just remember You started at 55, they started at level 1 for the most part, they have more experience with that character than you have with yours. Most people have been playing for quite a while as well so you're going up against some peoples 2nd,3rd,or even possibly 10th.. character. Don't be too hard on yourself for not doing too well, you're still learning.