Am I ready for Heroics?

Paladin
As far as gemming and enchanting, it gets expensive fast, on my priest, I waited till I had iLevel 200+ gear before investing since low level stuff gets replaced so fast (usually, I've had a hard time getting good drops since I started normal dungeons)

When choosing gems and enchants, you don't necessarily need the top of the line stuff. For starters, Borean Armor Kits are dirt cheap and better than nothing. Many armor slots have multiple enchants, with the top end enchant often being significantly more expensive than the almost as good second best. Gems can be the "Perfect" green gems, too, which are generally very cheap. If you have friends with crafting professions (leather workers for armor kits and leg armor, black smiths for belt buckles and weapon chains, enchanters for anything else) you can often get away with paying much less by just buying the materials.

That said, I've gone through the process on several level 80s. I've always gemmed and enchanted my gear fully with at least blue gems and useful enchantments (respectively) and without going broke. However, I had also always planned out my upgrades so that I rarely needed more than one upgrade per slot. I started looking forward at level 70, made sure to get all the necessary reputations leveled up through quests, started bargain shopping for enchantment scrolls, armor kits, etc. at the auction house and bought when the stuff was cheap. Playing catchup at level 80 is always a bit harder (and the same will be true at level 85).

you've all gotten in the mind set of "OMG HIS GS IS BELOW 3000 AND HE ISN'T PROPERLY ENCHANTED AND OMG NOT EXALTED WITH SONS OF HODIR WTF?!?!?!"

I don't care what his gear looks like, though I'd rather he have at most two greens before starting heroics. What concerns us is the lack of gemming and enchanting. Not gemming and enchanting your gear, even gear you're HOPING to replace soon, sends a message of "I don't care enough to make this the best possible experience for the rest of you." Heavy Borean Armor Kits and green gems are cheap and easy to come by. It doesn't matter whether you actually cop that attitude, it matters what people think.

I mean, for crying out loud - until the latest patches, we at least had the excuse of "Well, repair costs are high, so I have a harder time getting enchants and gems." Now they're high for everyone, so that's out the window.
If you ask most people, you need 50k HP minimum and a GS of 6k+.

They are, of course, completely delusional.
Dear Thalenn -

You're fine man, don't let the haters get you down. Plus I hear rumors on the internets that there's another expansion coming and you're going to have to gear for heroics all over again. -

w/Love, Runic