Boomkin or Shadow Priest...

General Discussion
Druid master class

I liked shadow priest a long time ago, when they felt more like a support/dotting class, then all those changes with the VE nerfs and dumb procs and stuff (wotlk or cata times?) made them meh to me.

Boomkin is more fun, IMO and has better survivability.

You can also go heals, tank or melee on a druid if you don't end up liking caster.
then all those changes with the VE nerfs and dumb procs and stuff (wotlk or cata times?) made them meh to me.

It was Cata. Cata ruined everything for me, including the shadow spec.

:(
01/07/2014 05:47 AMPosted by Illucia
What abilities does a shadow priest have that one shots while leveling?... or ever?

Haven't leveled as Shadow in a loooooong time, but I'm assuming Mind Blast and Devouring Plague.

Yes, starting around 35 or 40, shadow easily is just another generic nuking class. Plague is lol.
01/07/2014 06:00 AMPosted by Sweetspring

Haven't leveled as Shadow in a loooooong time, but I'm assuming Mind Blast and Devouring Plague.

Yes, starting around 35 or 40, shadow easily is just another generic nuking class. Plague is lol.

Interesting... and stupid. :(
just leveled a shadow priest up to TBC content. I think I should have rolled druid instead.

I actually think Cata was the best time to be a spriest, personally. They pulled fantastic dps all expansion (aside from the uh... really rough spot in the beginning) and had a super interesting playstyle. I miss Cata shadow.
01/07/2014 06:00 AMPosted by Erras
then all those changes with the VE nerfs and dumb procs and stuff (wotlk or cata times?) made them meh to me.

Hear, hear!
Im gonna be making an alliance Alt soon and I cant decide between the two.

I'm gonna be doing ZERO PvP and focus on Questing, Dungeoning, etc

What are the Pro's and Cons of each?

Because everywhere I look in old threads and other forums the opinions are all over the place.

I have both at 90... for me shadow sucks... dps is lack luster and the class is boring to play... boomkin is all around fun (I know you said no PvP but they are really fun in PvP!!!)...

on a side note boomkins look hilarious on any mount...
01/07/2014 05:45 AMPosted by Erras
and you have three abilities that are capable of one-hitting everything.

What abilities does a shadow priest have that one shots while leveling?... or ever?

At my level, one mb crit or dp can one shot a mob. I can dot up a whole camp with vt and swp, run in circles, tendril all of them then mindsear the last bits of hp they have.

All this to around 9 or 10 mobs. Possibly more.
Shadow Ravens. That is all.
I am glad you guys are having fun on Boomkins but I stopped having fun on mine in Cata. Since Cata I have gone feral kitty just a whole lot easier to level and fun to play to boot

I have two druids on Feral Kitty/Feral guardian and one Resto/Boom On my resto/Boom I am mainly a healer both pve and pvp.. Occasionally I will try Boom and then go no.. this just does not feel right and go back to Resto.. I am slowly gathering a Feral Kitty set on her and once I have it her Boomkin spec will be history.

My Feral druid is horde , my resto/boom is ally

I actually think Cata was the best time to be a spriest, personally. They pulled fantastic dps all expansion (aside from the uh... really rough spot in the beginning) and had a super interesting playstyle. I miss Cata shadow.

Keep in mind when I gripe about a spec, its usually not due to a balance issue. I just found shadow to be not fun at all. It felt... more dynamic and alive in TBC.

I am glad you guys are having fun on Boomkins but I stopped having fun on mine in Cata. Since Cata I have gone feral kitty just a whole lot easier to level and fun to play to boot

I preferred Boomkin from Wrath (was never balance before that), but I'm okay with what they've done with it since then, except for the fact that doing anything other than your core rotation including AoE) absolutely destroys our DPS. :(
Shadow Ravens. That is all.

I have to admit, these are awesome.

I get a tear in my eye when I go through my priest's glyph list and see it. (I'm holy/disc now)
SP, imo, is far more enjoyable to play than boom.

Druid has a lot of little things that are indeed very fun to have, but don't end up as a more solid whole. So unless you're interested in tanking or having a melee dps down the road, go Priest.
I have both at 100, first I lvled Spriest. The reason I leveled my Druid was Spriest AoE is just terrible. In Raid AoE situations I drop hard on DPS. While Single Target I was pulling near top DPS 15 ilvl lower than others, once AoE came in to play everyone else was pulling almost twice my dps.

Spriest AoE and ST dps is almost the same. If you have adds that last for a long time you can multi dot with Spriest but if they die in a short amount of time Spriest AoE is just terrible and you might as well just ST dps them down and try to build orbs.

NOW granted once there is enough gear out there AS may very well pull ahead in multi targets that time is a ways away. I still have not decided yet what I want to do, mainly cuz I like Druid armor but I am always looking at a LazorChicken or a stupid completely blue me with out any other colors. I'm having a hard time getting past that, while I really like resto my guild does not need 5 or 6 healers and I can see I would be relegated to dps because I can do both well if need be.
01/07/2014 06:40 AMPosted by Lughnasadh
SP, imo, is far more enjoyable to play than boom.

Druid has a lot of little things that are indeed very fun to have, but don't end up as a more solid whole. So unless you're interested in tanking or having a melee dps down the road, go Priest.

Really? I strangely don't see about any Spriest on WoL, yet there are plenty of Boomkin.
Boomkin is a sleeping pill.
01/07/2014 02:52 AMPosted by Illucia
Shadow is about average in PvE. Pretty bad single target DPS (although on the single target fights this tier they make up for it by being able to soak mechanics), above average on multi-target fights.

We're not the best, but we're not the worst. We're just kinda okay.

This is just not true, Spriest are very good single target. Matter of fact right now it's pretty much the exact opposite.
God damn it.....quit necroing year old threads.
01/07/2014 02:08 AMPosted by Vonkriegor
Shadow is perfectly fine, and actually pretty easy to play.

I don't think so, my main is a Shadow Priest and i would say that SP is harder than Warlock for pvp, i have both.

Shadow Priest may be a killing machine and even have a higher dps than destro locks on BGs, but the bad part of being an Shadow Priest is because the survival and mobility is very bad.

The main attack is channeled and you must stand still to cast, and if you're fighting against a melee, you can't do anything while you move, except burn your mana with Shadow Word: Pain.
Moonkins is a lot better with survival and mobility because you just need to put your dots and wait for the Shooting Stars happen, and GG.

But for PvE, Moonkins are lame for AoE and good only with single targets, while Shadow Priest are awesome for PvE in every way.

Moonkin AoE does exist. It uses 2 spells instead of 1. moonfire/sunfire and then starfall. DoT everyone with moonfire then cast starfall.