Why people like battle pets ?

General Discussion
Its fine that some people enjoy this feature but why they like it ? Seriously, I don't find it related to WoW. If I wanted to do pets battles I would just play Pokemon.

Hopefully Blizzard focus on more important things than pets on WoD.

Is there anything else you see people enjoy but u don't know why ?
I dont enjoy battle pets for battling.

i DO enjoy selling them for thousands of gold though.
People like what they like.
Its fine that some people enjoy this feature but why they like it ? Seriously, I don't find it related to WoW. If I wanted to do pets battles I would just play Pokemon.

They already focus on important things, just because battle pets are there doesn't mean they don't focus on important things. I enjoy it because its something different in-game and Its a break from other things like raids or pvp, I find it refreshing.
I dont enjoy battle pets for battling.

i DO enjoy selling them for thousands of gold though.
It does seem like an odd feature for WoW but when I'm not doing anything else I like it. I do recall that prior to Battle Pets every so often you would see requests in the forums for pets that would do more than just follow you around.
For me, it's either a way to pass time while sitting in a queue if I'm tired of doing everything else (herbing, etc), and also a small form of nostalgia. Reminds me of my pokemon days as a kid. :)
Seriously, I don't find it related to WoW

Speaking as a hunter, pets have always been part of WoW. Players like a cute little companion with them. Get right down to it and a hunter pet is nothing but a DoT with a pretty face, right? But a lot of people like the cuteness... and their lock pets, etc.

This way, with b-pets, everyone gets a silly little companion to hop along with them as they go about their business.

Its very WoWish, indeed.
01/08/2014 08:11 AMPosted by Archimondde

Or if you wanted to play battle pets like me and like WoW then you could do both in the game that you love, it's something I like to do on my off time.

I like that Blizzard is looking for fun features to add instead of just striping down the game to just a gear grind.
Why do some people like LFR?

Why do some people like Normal modes?

Why do some people like Heroic modes?

Why do some people like collecting toothpicks?

Why do some people like Anime?

Why do some people, barf .. like ... omg ... barf ... MLP?

The world is filled with different kinds of people, those who enjoy some things. And those who enjoy other things.

Probably because so many people like pokemon and wow subs have been dwindling so why not make a pokemon like feature that makes people who like pokemon want to keep playing wow because they can play pokemon in wow. If not that IDK.
Game. "Important". Snerk!

Pray tell, what is more "important"?

Or let me turn it around on you. "Gee, I wish Blizz wouldn't spend so much time on "unimportant" things like PvP!"

*Damn near gets her goggles sucked off by the incoming "GASP!" and three rogues faint.*

*adjusts her headgear* Whut? PvP doesn't matter to me! Why should they "waste" time on it?

Maybe because those individuals over there who are about to go from stunned to apoplexy in 0.2 seconds DO CARE about PvP. I respect that. It is fun to them. I want them to have fun, even if I won't be joining them.

...and my PokeWoW and other diversions are fun to me, and others, so they need a little love too. There's lot's of love to go around, so don't begrudge other players the activities they enjoy. If you don't care for it, move on and don't worry about it further.
Critters have been part of Azeroth since the beginning I am actually surprised it took as long as it did for the devs to come up with a way for us to pit them against each other. Anyways OP as with most things in WoW you can just choose not to participate in pet battling and be none the worse for wear over it.
I like that there is use for my pet collection.
Probably because it's a fun mini game you can pick up at any time while waiting on queues, friends, raids, events, etc

Hey it's better than the Peggle addon
Because i put 1000's of hours into Pokemon throughout my life unfortunately, and apparently still like any form of it.
I didn't think I'd ever enjoy pet battles, but turns out I find it to be great fun. It's a side interest in the game and adds to the games total enjoyability. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it lacks worth.
I never played Pokémon as I was just getting into guitars and girls about the time it became popular in North America, but I thought that it was very similar to old school console RPGs like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy and absolutely fell in love with it.

Pet battles have all the hallmarks of a classic WoW time sink:

- collection: gotta catch 'em all. With so many pets out in the world and in raids/dungeons/holiday events it can keep you busy for a while. Add to this the quality and breed aspects and it becomes more than just "hey I need pet x" and more a "wow I'm stoked on this S/S rabbit! This will be perfect for trainer x!"

-Randomised rewards. When battling out in the world you can come across pet battle stones to upgrade your pets to rare quality, and even the dailies from the trainers have a chance to drop pets and more battle stones, as well as various pet vanity items like leashes and magical biscuits.

-Progression. Your pets need to be levelled up if you want to use them to fight trainers or run the celestial tournament. Seeing them grow in power can be very addicting, as well as having a plethora of level 25 pets lets you come up with strategies and combos.

-PvP aspect: you can queue up for random pet battles and face player opponents. You can't talk to them and AFAIK they are anonymous so there is zero chance you're going to have someone roll a toon on your server just to trash talk you.

In addition, the pet battle dailies are a decent source of valor and lesser charms. Prior to timeless isle it was the most efficient way to farm lesser charms on all your characters, due to the account wide nature of it. This is also pretty fun because no matter what alt you happen to be working on you can work on your pet battling or collection.

And its just fun :)
same reason people collect dozens of mounts when you can only ride one at a time?
same reason people collect transmog gear, or toy items, or any of the other plethora of things to do in this game.

People find different things interesting, and that is what keeps WoW alive more than anything else. There is not one single "group" of people that keep the game alive. its all of them paying subs together that do it.