Does it really matter if the tank pulls?

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
i have a 90 of every tank class, i don't give a !@#$ who pulls. honestly, who wants to be in a dungeon longer than necessary?
It doesn't matter who pulls, in fact, until 85 you don't even need a tank for any dungeon. The damage and output of dps+healer is enough to faceroll all low level dungeons. So any tank having a fit is just a scrub that wants to delay xp rates.

By the time a tank says: "You pull you tank" the healer and dps have cleared the dungeon and are requeueing. The days for strict roles in these dungeons are over. Hell even 90 dungeons now, I can solo heroics on my rogue, tanks not even really needed then. They are needed to raiding and FCing, that's about it.

I love it when DPS pulls more mobs if I am tanking, makes it easier. I don't have a fit because I have some stupid notion I am the "front runner" tank that has first hit. Child tanks think like that still. Faster = better.
01/12/2014 03:22 PMPosted by Gilt
Maybe you should try tanking on a tank with not much aoe threat (dk with runes and dnd on cd, warrior with thunderclap on cd) and then you will understand how annoying it actually is.

It's not because its going to wipe you it probably isn't its because its not fun chasing mobs everywhere because none of the dps actually run to the tank when they have agro, sure you can let the dps tank but that makes you feel like you are not doing your job properly.

Yeah, but the dungeons go significantly slower when you do that. And every single tank has pretty decent aoe abilities by level 70. But you pretty much summed it up. It's because it makes the tank feel like they aren't doing their job. It makes them "feel weak". It's an ego thing.

Even if it will make the run go way slower, the tank still wants to be in charge and be the one pulling so he can "feel" like he's the tank. While a good tank would pick stuff up and just finish the run as quickly as possible, a bad tank is more concerned with "feeling powerful" and feeling like they're "doing things correctly" by lining up every pull carefully and making sure to be the only one pulling.

It's like, oh I need to nurse your ego because you aren't good enough to pick up the mobs like literally 90% of tanks are perfectly capable of doing? I need to pander to a bad player with a lack of skill?

You said ego about 20 times by now... you are the only one in this thread with an ego problem and that is the fact you use the word to justify not learning to play team.
01/12/2014 05:04 PMPosted by Gilt
The thing is, I'm really not trying to be a *#*#@*!*, and I honestly don't think I'm keeping anyone from doing there job. If I was, then how are all of these other tanks I've been running with doing it just fine? If every single tank was like this, then I'd understand and start to think maybe I was doing something wrong, but it's really just about 1 out of 10 tanks that has an issue with DPS pulling, and for some reason it always seems to be the bad tanks that have an issue.

I just don't see why we should all slow down and, like I said earlier, pretend the run is something it isn't. Pretend it's hard, pretend we need to pull carefully and use CC, pretend that tanking a low level dungeon is this epic task that needs to be perfectly executed, when in reality it just really does not and is not.

Or, while you're in levelling content, help the tank (if you think he's bad) become good instead of complaining that he's not letting you carry him. The way you want to run the dungeon, that tank will not learn, and then he'll become a level 90, LFR-running bad tank.

And bad tanks in LFR make me frumple.
01/17/2014 07:36 AMPosted by Primalmatter
If a dps pulls, I figure they don't need to be healed.

Most cases they don't... I really don't see the issue if the dps can solo the instance and IS... well keep up.

There's not an issue with that specific dungeon run. The issue, as has been repeatedly pointed out, is there is an apparent shortage of tanks at max level, at least in LFR and MOP heroic 5-mans, and those that are around are often incompetent even by those standards.

While the lack of competency can potentially be addressed by Blizzard upping the challenge in levelling dungeons, that's probably not going to happen anytime soon. In the meantime, dps who pull and rush the tank are not helping themselves in the long run because the tank is not getting to practice their tanking and may well be put off tanking and switch to a dps spec.
By the time a tank says: "You pull you tank" the healer and dps have cleared the dungeon and are requeueing. The days for strict roles in these dungeons are over.

Secondtime, most healers won't requeue with DPs who pull this either. The time lost waiting in queue is always more than the time saved. Pulling for the tank can speed things up, but more frequently means slower runs since attacks are parried, mobs aren't properly grouped for aoe, etc.
I don't run with random people. Enjoy your 30 minutes queues.
01/18/2014 04:07 PMPosted by Candescently
By the time a tank says: "You pull you tank" the healer and dps have cleared the dungeon and are requeueing. The days for strict roles in these dungeons are over.

Secondtime, most healers won't requeue with DPs who pull this either. The time lost waiting in queue is always more than the time saved. Pulling for the tank can speed things up, but more frequently means slower runs since attacks are parried, mobs aren't properly grouped for aoe, etc.

Lol. You're funny. Have you considered being a comedian?

Pretty sure most healers will requeue with a dps that hardly takes healing and can clear an instance in 5 minutes.
Tanking is about control; controlling the damage, controlling the agro, controlling the damage. If a tank isn't pulling, it's generally for a reason; they don't think they can handle the damage from another add, one of their abilities is on a brief CD that they to have to guarantee their agro, the healer's mana is low, etc. When you pull for them, you are directly making their job harder, and telling them that you know better than they do. See how that could be taken a little badly?
Varlth, which part? That 3 people plus the tank aoe'ing 4 or 5 packs that are all in one spot with their backs turned do more damage than 3 DPS soloing a pack each that are facing them? Or do you feel that healers are more likely to requeue with DPS who pull for the tank?

Monkey, if someone is being anti-social toward the tank, they're likely to be anti-social toward the rest of the group as well. From talking with tank and healer friends, and my own experience queuing primarily as tank or healer, and occasionally as DPS, people tend to initiate requeueing when the pace is quick but the group is coordinating as a team. They don't want to listen to the tank and a DPS having a screaming match.
How about all of the above?

Stuff dies so fast in any level of dungeons now it's retarded. You're making a mountain out of an anthill in terms of strategy to kill stuff. I mean Parry? Dodging? Who cares? AoE them down. They die. The end. I am someone who has leveled every class past 80 multiple times. I've rerolled classes periodically due to server changes and such. Every dungeon I queue into is typically a "Pull as much as you can and kill stuff". The most painful ones typically revolve around people who pull excruciatingly slowly. Yeah I've had big pulls result in deaths or complete wipes. It's pretty rare. I'd still taking zerging over "strategy" and "tank has to pull" any day of the week.

Stop pretending there is any sort of strategy for dungeons. They don't exist anymore. Blizzard has basically stated that they don't intend for dungeons to be difficult. To call dungeons heroic is to akin to calling carbonated water soda. I actually solo'd like 5 or so dungeons for achievements. Every dungeon achievement on my armory from 12/12/13 has actually been solo'd. They're a joke at any level.
I really hope hope the coming stat squish pulls all this crap back into line.
TBH it's crazy easy to do dungeons, so it doesn't really matter any more(As others have said)., I actually soloed Deadmines out of interest on my level appropriate holy pally back in the day(RIP pre-nerf holy shock)

Very few things are capable of killing a dps pulling in both low level and high level dungeons, and those that are are too hilarious to discourage people.(When people run into the shield guys in scarlet hall i laugh really hard, not my fault yo).
01/18/2014 07:48 PMPosted by Varlth
They don't exist anymore.

They don't exist for the moment, and circumstance is never an excuse to be inconsiderate.

Blizzard has basically stated

Blizzard has flipped on what it thinks it wants every other expansion.
01/12/2014 03:22 PMPosted by Gilt
Maybe you should try tanking on a tank with not much aoe threat (dk with runes and dnd on cd, warrior with thunderclap on cd) and then you will understand how annoying it actually is.

It's not because its going to wipe you it probably isn't its because its not fun chasing mobs everywhere because none of the dps actually run to the tank when they have agro, sure you can let the dps tank but that makes you feel like you are not doing your job properly.

Yeah, but the dungeons go significantly slower when you do that. And every single tank has pretty decent aoe abilities by level 70. But you pretty much summed it up. It's because it makes the tank feel like they aren't doing their job. It makes them "feel weak". It's an ego thing.

Even if it will make the run go way slower, the tank still wants to be in charge and be the one pulling so he can "feel" like he's the tank. While a good tank would pick stuff up and just finish the run as quickly as possible, a bad tank is more concerned with "feeling powerful" and feeling like they're "doing things correctly" by lining up every pull carefully and making sure to be the only one pulling.

It's like, oh I need to nurse your ego because you aren't good enough to pick up the mobs like literally 90% of tanks are perfectly capable of doing? I need to pander to a bad player with a lack of skill?

They could be trying tanking as an off-spec, and are trying to learn the ropes.
01/17/2014 06:01 PMPosted by Secondtime
t doesn't matter who pulls, in fact, until 85 you don't even need a tank for any dungeon. The damage and output of dps+healer is enough to faceroll all low level dungeons. So any tank having a fit is just a scrub that wants to delay xp rates.

At level 80 Erunaks magma splash hits for about 80-100% of a cata geared dps life every second. Have fun without a tank. Perhaps a pet? But some of the trash in blackrock caverns will still happily 1 shot even a tank pet.

Their are 3 categories of dps that pull, those that save a few seconds, those that cost a few seconds and those that kill me. No 1 and 2 cancel out so the net effect is those that kill me, be it as a healer or a tank.

If the tank is already doing 200k why have growl on? Are you trying to lower the tanks vengeance to look better on the meters? Hint step 1 would be stop using turtles in instances.
99% of the time you don't even need a tank for 5 man dungeons, so the sense of entitlement tanks frequently have around pulling is.. misguided, to say the least. Tanks are just a convenience for healers in dungeons, having one person with a 500% threat modifier, they aren't actually doing anything special beyond that.

Even in level 90 dungeons with appropriate gear there is very little need for tanks. It isn't until you start doing difficult raid content that they're actually necessary.

The only time I see someone pulling as an issue is when that person is actively making the dungeon take longer, such as by pulling the wrong mobs and/or not contributing meaningful damage. This can describe anyone and isn't role-specific.

Complaining about players pulling the correct mobs and contributing meaningful damage simply because they were not assigned the "Tank" role by LFD boggles my mind.