Concerning Night Elves, the results are in.

Story Forum
1 2 3 7 Next
I've always stated that my personal observation of commenting trends and results of questions have supported the idea that very few people are satisfied with Blizzard's current vision for the Night Elves. Of course, personal observations do not necessarily constitute data.

MMO Champion has taken the first step in resolving that little problem. Behold, I have a poll:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1437695-Do-you-like-the-portrayal-of-night-elves-pre-WoW-or-post-WoW-more

(NOTE: The percentages here are reported as the ones that prevailed when I cited the poll. I claim no responsibility for future shifts.)

.... and the results are rather striking. 69.19% favor the Night Elves' portrayal in Warcraft III over their presentation in World of Warcraft. An additional 4.04% said "only up to Cataclysm" with 7.58% and 9.6% either claiming to hate Night Elves in general, and claiming not to care, respectively.

Just 9.58% like the Night Elves, either in all of their portrayals (8.59%) or from Cataclysm onward (1.01%).

For a bit of contrast, congressional job approval is at 13% according to the latest Gallup poll (http://www.gallup.com/poll/166838/congress-job-approval-starts-2014.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines).

Which is to say, according to this poll: Warcraft fans rate Blizzard's handling of the Night Elves less favorably than Americans view congress. True, congress has been as low as 9% before, but is this really who Blizzard wants to be competing against?

This is a roughly 200 person poll. It's not about to shake the foundations of Warcraft as we know it, but it is the first decent sized poll on this topic, and the message it sends is clear. The question I have now is: what do you believe Blizzard should do about it?
nothing 200 people is a drop in the ocean and the poll was placed on a website know to harbor bitter people
It's unsurprising that a poll on a forum that, near as I can tell, seems to largely hate World of Warcraft with a passion would be dissatisfied with something therein.
Well, of course, the night elves have been smashed and mutilated into fitting into the alliance and bowing to Varian. WC3 night elves couldn't do that.
It's unsurprising that a poll on a forum that, near as I can tell, seems to largely hate World of Warcraft with a passion would be dissatisfied with something therein.

The question, and the point you've failed to consider, is whether this is a symptom of the writing or an anomaly.

Because I could just as easily level the same critique of any forum that discusses WoW.
Shocker.

The question, and the point you've failed to consider, is whether this is a symptom of the writing or an anomaly.

Because I could just as easily level the same critique of any forum that discusses WoW.

MMO, SoL, and SF are all pretty critical of WoW. There comes a point when it stops being the forums and starts being something else. Well, of course, internet in general..

Anyway, I'ma link it to Kosak.
Yes! Please! I really do hope Blizz turns their game around with the Kaldorei.

Well, of course, the night elves have been smashed and mutilated into fitting into the alliance and bowing to Varian. WC3 night elves couldn't do that.

It's even worse now that there are assertions that they were descended from the Trolls + Tyrande's weirdass voice acting recently.

Of course we have the perennial "Hush Tyrande" by both Malfurion and then Varian in "A Little Patience"

I was also infuriated when the Kaldorei were so easily blockaded in Teldrassil by the Horde in Tides of War.

Man, thinking about this terrible handling of the Kaldorei is making me mad incensed again.

AND Tyrande cedes Azshara to the Horde at the end of SoO! What the hell! She also signs a treaty to give the Horde lumber in exchange for them withdrawing from Ashenvale? What is this bull? The Kaldorei could compeltely smash the debilitated Horde in a counter-offensive post SoO...it's maddening.

I guess I don't sound very supportive of my own faction huh? lol..
The problem with Night Elves is that Blizzard spent several expansions squeezing out ALL the sketchy, shadowy, violent, vengeful, irrational, self-interested elements out of their society. The characters with those traits had them scrubbed out (Tyrande). If the traits were key to their person, the entire character got expelled (Maiev and Staghelm). Whenever it shows up (even in MoP, when other races were busy remembering they were fighting a war against people they don't like), the story is quick to remind us that it's Wrong.

The Fire Druid gets killed, Staghelm's plain evil and dies, Maiev is exiled, Tyrande gets chastised by Varian.

The problem is... the Night Elves NEED their jerks. Malfurion doesn't work as the sole leader. He worked as the guy who kept the rest of his race from just plain murdering everyone who isn't them. And it was when Night Elves DIDN'T listen to his wisdom that interesting things happened.

And the "consequences" for not listening to the peaceful-nice-wisdom plan never used to be as obvious as in that Patience scenario. Tyrande had a lot of flaws, but losing battles wasn't one of them. Night Elf jerks were competent jerks. When they didn't show proper wisdom and restraint, they'd end up with smashing success in things that maybe shouldn't have been done.

Varian's main concern shouldn't be teaching Night Elves HOW to kill Orcs. It should be trying to get the Night Elves to BACK OFF on the Orc killing, since Orc corpses nailed to trees are sabotaging his peace plans.
I wholeheartedly agree that the Night Elves need some of their pizzazz returned. They've lost much of what made them unique (combination of nobility and culture, but mixed with a healthy dose of savagery). Make Tyrande fierce and proud again, Malfurion doesn't have to be nearly so neutral. And give us Jarod and Shandris on the front lines of the NE military.

Still, this should be argued based on the merits of the argument alone. Not on poll data from a website full of jaded rubes. MMO champion is great for info, but the community is pathetic.
It should be trying to get the Night Elves to BACK OFF on the Orc killing, since Orc corpses nailed to trees are sabotaging his peace plans.

varian sending an angry letter to tyrande asking that she PLEASE not leave mutilated orc corpses out in the open when the horde dignitary is on his way or at LEAST not let the big cats get at them would be be a nice change of pace, i think
It's just a huge shame that Night Elves are stuck holding the Generic Elves torch now.

Blood Elves are the edgy, sinister elves - so Night Elves lost the part where they were "like elves, but bigger, tougher, toothier, and more violent", and became "just elves". Live in forests, love trees, are sad cuz their time is ending.

Except I can't actually think of any other fantasy setting that actually HAS Generic Elves that live up to the stereotype so completely. There's always some edge to them, some bitterness, and some penchant to be very, very deadly to people who don't belong in their territory. Night elves started with an emphasis on those traits - but now they have less of them than any other elf you can think of outside a certain fat guy's workshop.
WC3 night elves couldn't do that.

WCIII made me roll a nelf druid. He's collecting dust right now.
I'm convinced Kosak just wanted an excuse to kill the usual generic high elves that anyone who's played a post-LOTR RPG hates with his Orc fanboyism, but since most of Blizzard plays Horde, they couldn't run off butchering Blood Elves. On top of that, Knaak has a habit of ruining everything he touches (his Legend of Huma book actually make Margret Weis rage enough to consider retcons).

Seriously, they took some of the most unique elves in in the gaming community since Dunmer, and ruined them. Even Ghostcrawler admitted pre-WoW Night Elves were better, and awesome. Even I can write better than Blizzard has for Night Elves. I'm not asking for mindscrews like Kirkbride would write, but I look at the current Kaldori, and what Metzen conceived them as, and ask myself, "how do you screw up this badly?"
Of course, they've lost stuff since WC3 to fairness.

But realistically, the only way to make the Night Elves look okay as a "Badass warrior" race in the context of Warcraft again is to show more social upheaval. They have to lose a bit more. Make more of them dislike Malfurion. Give the Highborne more political ground. Put a wedge between Tyrande and Malfurion again.

And then make them find a way to work through it. And come out better than they were before.
01/15/2014 12:18 PMPosted by Anyaceltica
. I'm not asking for mindscrews like Kirkbride would write

Kirkbride could single handedly outwrite every writer staffed at Blizzard.

But yeah, they screwed up Night elves big time. Blizzard really doesn't like Night elves for some reason.
01/15/2014 12:29 PMPosted by Retsuka
. I'm not asking for mindscrews like Kirkbride would write

Kirkbride could single handedly outwrite every writer staffed at Blizzard.

But yeah, they screwed up Night elves big time. Blizzard really doesn't like Night elves for some reason.

I always felt that it was because they had never intended for people to like them in WC3. Their actions and characters, for the most part, seemed to not be supposed to have people get endeared to the xenophobic, savage to the extreme, and downright psychotic at times elves.
[quote]

I always felt that it was because they had never intended for people to like them in WC3. Their actions and characters, for the most part, seemed to not be supposed to have people get endeared to the xenophobic, savage to the extreme, and downright psychotic at times elves.

Perhaps. At certain points in WC3 the Kaldori certainly out-Savaged[tm] their beloved Orcs. Even Grom Hellscream was in awe of them.
I guess I don't sound very supportive of my own faction huh? lol..

For a dynamic story, a weakened and demoralized Alliance doesn't help the Horde. This time around, it made the Horde look like mustache-twirling villains, who were made "black" for the sake of Blizzard's meta narrative - which demanded that the other side be cast as victims.

Anyway. A few days ago I went ahead and replicated this poll on Scrolls of Lore. Here are the results so far.

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215526

Those without strong opinions, as you can see, held a bit of a stronger sway, but at the time I'm reading this, we have mostly similar results. (Keep in mind, the top option should read at 62%. One of the posters already voted in the MMO-C poll)

The two large variances (greater than 5 percentage points) based on my current reading of both polls are in the pre-WoW night elves category (Variance: 7.597 points down) and the no strong opinions category (Variance: 8.84 points up). SoL shows satisfaction of the current portrayal (All portrayals + Night Elves Post Cataclysm) at 8%, which is less than MMO-C's current rating of 9.1%.
It's not surprising because night elves haven't really been developed much at all since vanilla. They have just kind of existed to be punching bags and then do nothing else. Blizzard has done a horrible job of developing races in the MMO, their tunnel vision for one or two main heroes from one or two main races just has been getting worst.

I would ask anyone who picked after Cataclysm what was there to like about them? They've done nothing except get executed.