New mage question

Mage
Whats up mages?

Im going to enter the bandwagon and roll a dwarf mage. Its finally here, DWARF MAGE. Anyways, this will be my first mage and i was wondering how are mages at questing.
With my druid, i practially have no down time. Hows mage? Seeing they have no heals, how do they manage?

Also, what spec is good for lowbie dungeons?

Thanks
Whats up mages?

Im going to enter the bandwagon and roll a dwarf mage. Its finally here, DWARF MAGE. Anyways, this will be my first mage and i was wondering how are mages at questing.
With my druid, i practially have no down time. Hows mage? Seeing they have no heals, how do they manage?

Thanks

Soloing is manageable but tougher then say a paladin or a druid, not insanely difficult but more difficult just because of, like you said, lack of heals and general squishiness.
As for leveling, frost in general is the best leveling spec, but really, any spec can work for leveling, just frost is better.
Whats up mages?

Thanks

Soloing is manageable but tougher then say a paladin or a druid, not insanely difficult but more difficult just because of, like you said, lack of heals and general squishiness.
As for leveling, frost in general is the best leveling spec, but really, any spec can work for leveling, just frost is better.

I've leveled this guy as frost post 4.01 and have had no problem. I noticed (now in Northrend) that my damage has gone down since 4.03a but am still having no problems. I also dual speced into arcane to use when I need big damage bursts. You should not have a problem as frost or arcane leveling. I have not tried fire so will let others comment on that.

As far as pallys are concerned I do not like the new ret rotation on my 80. I find it to be cluncy, rather dumb, overly rng dependent, and with dead time when everything is on cool down and you just auto attack - super meh. You can still level pretty well on a pally (I have a 39 pally as well). I speced into holy on my 80 pally for when I go out to mine. It is just about impossible to kill a Holy pally in pve situations. You don't burst things to the ground but just wear them down to death while you survive by throwing self heals.

I really like mages, but would say pick the class that feels best to you and that you enjoy. In my opinion the Blizzard devs are issued clown shoes when they are hired and you never know what they will screw up next. So try mages and see if you enjoy playing one. You never know what the devs will do to your class, so picking one because it is good at any type of application does not make sense; todays class pick could well be tomorrows super nerf.

Frost is really the best spec to level as. You will have the least downtime because you use less mana and take less damage than the other specs. With all of the snares, slows, and mana regens you should be able to solo just about everything.

The advantages of Fire and Arcane is the superior damage. However at level 53 Arcane will have a slow that is comparable to Frost's (Nether Vortex talent).
Thanks for the comments guys, all very helpful.

One more question, how will orcs racial in improving pet damage affect the dps as a frost mage? Still cant decide to go undead or orc. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the comments guys, all very helpful.

One more question, how will orcs racial in improving pet damage affect the dps as a frost mage? Still cant decide to go undead or orc. Any suggestions?

I would say don't go Orc if that is the only reason. The damage from your elemental probably (I don't know the actual math behind it, for PvE or PvP), won't be enough for that 5% to make a whole lot of difference.
Not exactly for the racial but because i love orcs. I just dont want to mess up with racials for my new mage. So that 5% damage is so miniscul, are the undead racials any better?