Fishing Experience?

Professions
Experience while mining, picking herbs is great. We even get xp when we gather cloth, meat for cooking etc.....

So why is it that we still don't gain xp for each thing we catch while fishing? Fishing takes us away from everything pvp, questing.... literally everything. Which is why a lot of people don't do it, I feel if you did make it so we gained xp while fishing it would get a lot more people. It only makes sense, and if you haven't done it, gaining xp while Disenchanting would be cool too.

Those are the only 2 gathering professions that you can't gain xp from make it so we can please, especially for fishing, so myself and many others feel like we are actually accomplishing something.
Because the only thing that is difficult about fishing is patience. you sit there and press a button. At least other gathering professions require moving around. If fishing got xp then there would be a lot of unattended macroing going I'm sure.
Yeah, but every time I kill something for cloth I get XP, I don't just get XP IF cloth drops. We get XP from mining, herbalism, just doesn't make any sense. The time it takes a fish to even grab onto your line takes longer then me killing something for Meat or Cloth.

There is really no reason not to put XP gains on fishing, has the same mechanics all the other gathering professions do, EXCEPT. The fact that no other gathering profession takes you away from questing, or whatever else your doing. Sure the Production parts of professions takes you away, but that is different, I don't know you want to give each fish caught half XP then a usual kill whatever. I would just love to feel like I am accomplishing something, I don't get that at all when I fish, I just get annoyed that I am not questing/leveling.

If I feel this way you know someone else does, and it is probably more people then you think.
Fishing is a secondary skill that everyone can have. it isn't like a gathering profession, where it takes up a main profession slot. If you don't find that you achieve something when fishing, perhaps it isn't for you- it isn't for everybody. Cooks often paid people to fish for their feast materials during LK and prior to Blizzard adding more meat cooking recipes to get to 300, they paid people to fish for them. Some people spend a day only fishing. Where some say there's better profit, sometimes it isn't about profit at all- sometimes it's about joy and experience.
I can see people sitting in Org/SW and fishing their way to 85...

I don't think Blizz would like that.
We even get xp when we gather cloth, meat for cooking etc...

Pretty sure that's false. The XP is given to you because you kill things. That you're killing things for the sole purpose of getting Cloth or Meat is irrelevant.

I think Fishing should reward some XP too, but simply because it's freakishly time-consuming.

It makes more sense just to attack and kill large monstrous fish and loot the meat from them.
You actually do get exp from other secondary skills.. Archeology.. so far every gathering profession gives you exp except fishing. fishing should give atleast an insignificant amount of exp..
you sit there for hours fishing.. not taking your eyes off the screen, having to pay full attention.. for what?? no exp.. no cool BoA items, no significant gold increase, and a level every 100 fish caught?

in archeology you sit there for 3 minutes walking around gaining exp. 90% of the time you're auto flying to the next location, closed out watching youtube, watching TV, playing xbox, waiting for a que, doing what ever. not to mention you make a ton of money selling commons to vendors or selling keystones in the AH. And you get cool rares, BoA items, Mounts, Titles, and.. oh yeah.. EXP!

With mining/herbing you fly around doing quests, or waiting in a que, or farming gold. Have you ever heard of farming fish for gold?While getting ore/herbs and Volatiles, you get TONS OF GOLD!!!

With skinning you get the exp from the kills your farming for a quest, or in a dungeon, or just for the leather. while skinning you make tons of money, and every 50 or so skins you get a pristine hide, worth a bunch of money.

With every profession you get a level up almost every time you find a ore/herb/skin someone. and with archeology you get 5 levels every couple of digsites.

sure with Fishing you can get a title.. if you fish like crazy for a few weeks. or a mount.. if you get lucky as sh**, or a pet if you spend long enough fishing in 1 location.. but other than that you get fish, (that don't sell for good money) and every so often a volatile water, ( about 10% as likely as in mining or herbing), but it really doesn't pay off.

I really hope blizzard reads this and takes this into consideration.

Blizzards won't take it into consideration because you are not fooling them.

It isn't active enough to reward experience. You can do it in areas with basically no mobs, even if it was only experience from pools.

You make archeology sound wonderful, for the purpose of explaining why fishing should reward experience? I guess you should go and post that in all of the threads complaining about archeology. Tell me after you do that, since it will take you a few months even if you just copy post.
11/26/2010 9:33 PMPosted by Juuna
Fishing is a secondary skill that everyone can have. it isn't like a gathering profession, where it takes up a main profession slot. If you don't find that you achieve something when fishing, perhaps it isn't for you- it isn't for everybody. Cooks often paid people to fish for their feast materials during LK and prior to Blizzard adding more meat cooking recipes to get to 300, they paid people to fish for them. Some people spend a day only fishing. Where some say there's better profit, sometimes it isn't about profit at all- sometimes it's about joy and experience.

Archaeology is a secondary skill that everyone can have. it isn't like a gathering profession, where it takes up a main profession slot. If you don't find that you achieve something when surveying, perhaps it isn't for you- it isn't for everybody. Some people spend a day only surveying. Where some say there's better profit, sometimes it isn't about profit at all- sometimes it's about joy and experience.
11/26/2010 5:22 PMPosted by Hoticehunter
In order for fishing to give xp, they would have to make it only give xp when fishing from pools, not just from anywhere.

They would have to revert the change where you are guaranteed a catch in a pool as well.

Fishing is so dead simple now. No need for lures, gear or fancy pools. Just take your skill level 1 character to the highest zones, find a pool and start fishing. Couple this with guaranteed skillups from the daily quest and it is quick and painless.
For the things that give experience, mining, herbing, archaeoligizing, there is a limit to how much you can do it. You either have to track down nodes, or fly around between a limited amount of sites.
Fishing, you can just stand in one spot and do it forever, so it's unlikely that they would do that.
For the things that give experience, mining, herbing, archaeoligizing, there is a limit to how much you can do it. You either have to track down nodes, or fly around between a limited amount of sites.
Fishing, you can just stand in one spot and do it forever, so it's unlikely that they would do that.

Most of the requests for fishing XP have been for XP from fishing in pools. You can't stand in one spot "forever" and have every cast land in a pool.
11/26/2010 5:22 PMPosted by Hoticehunter
In order for fishing to give xp, they would have to make it only give xp when fishing from pools, not just from anywhere.

Pools as nodes. Yep, liking that idea. Would need to scale the exp reward and make it a bit like fishing skill ups, as well.

Make it possible to get exp from fishing but not one that 99% of people would want to spend the time or energy doing. It would be a nice extra reward for doing fishing dailys, stocking the GB and generally for leveling cooking, alchemy, etc.