New Tank Needs Help!

New Player Help and Guides
Hello all,

I've been playing WoW for the past 3-4 years. I generally play for a few months and then take a few months off, but I am trying to get back into a regular groove after taking about 6 months off. That aside, I really want to get into tanking. The highest level character I have ever had was a 70 rogue, which was fun, but I'm looking for a change. So I decided to go with a warrior.

To get to the point, I would really like some tips for a new tank from some of your experienced people out there. I did my first instance last night, the new Deadmines (frankly, I don't think it lives up to the last one). Everything seemed to go well, but I had a few specific problems.

1. I usually pull 2-3 enemies at a time, but sometimes, I find there will be a caster with a group of melee enemies. I will at that point shoot the caster and then hide behind a wall (LOS) to get them to come to me, is that a good strategy?

2. Another problem I had is that when there is a "hectic" fight. For example, say another group of enemies gets pulled by accident. I find myself trying to hold aggro on 5-6 enemies, and frankly, I just panic and mash thunder clap when its available and taunt the first thing I see. Do I just need experience or is there a method to these encounters?

3. I feel like as a tank, I need to control/direct the group. People always do such dumb things, like when DPS pull mobs. I know this might not be a straightforward question to have answered, but what is the best way to get respect and be listened to in a PUG?

4. Finally, people always talk about rotations when they tank. Should I be working on developing rotations even at such an early level? I know I don't have all of the abilities that I will have later on in the game, but should I start getting into the habit of using a rotation now?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Oh! And one more thing...

I don't use any addons and I have trouble keeping track of my threat... Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Oh! And one more thing...

I don't use any addons and I have trouble keeping track of my threat... Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Two suggestions.

First of all, a good threat meter:
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/omen-threat-meter.aspx
and also

Tidy Plates/Threat Plates:
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/tidy-plates.aspx
with
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/tidy-plates-threat-plates.aspx
There are several decent addons out there for tanks, Threatmeter will allow you to see who is pulling and you can set it up so you can just click on their bar it adds to your screen and it will taunt off them, for example it can be set up so if you left click on their threat bar it taunts, deathgrips etc depending on what class you play. LoS can help. Since you are also new to tanking you could choose to mark the targets so dps isnt nuking one you arent going after and pulling them off you.

Edit cause i havent had enough coffee...the addon I was thinking of is Tauntmaster that will allow you to set up one click options to see who has threat and allow you to click them.
Hello all,

I've been playing WoW for the past 3-4 years. I generally play for a few months and then take a few months off, but I am trying to get back into a regular groove after taking about 6 months off. That aside, I really want to get into tanking. The highest level character I have ever had was a 70 rogue, which was fun, but I'm looking for a change. So I decided to go with a warrior.

To get to the point, I would really like some tips for a new tank from some of your experienced people out there. I did my first instance last night, the new Deadmines (frankly, I don't think it lives up to the last one). Everything seemed to go well, but I had a few specific problems.

1. I usually pull 2-3 enemies at a time, but sometimes, I find there will be a caster with a group of melee enemies. I will at that point shoot the caster and then hide behind a wall (LOS) to get them to come to me, is that a good strategy?

2. Another problem I had is that when there is a "hectic" fight. For example, say another group of enemies gets pulled by accident. I find myself trying to hold aggro on 5-6 enemies, and frankly, I just panic and mash thunder clap when its available and taunt the first thing I see. Do I just need experience or is there a method to these encounters?

3. I feel like as a tank, I need to control/direct the group. People always do such dumb things, like when DPS pull mobs. I know this might not be a straightforward question to have answered, but what is the best way to get respect and be listened to in a PUG?

4. Finally, people always talk about rotations when they tank. Should I be working on developing rotations even at such an early level? I know I don't have all of the abilities that I will have later on in the game, but should I start getting into the habit of using a rotation now?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1. best thing to do when dealing with a caster in the group is to either los him if you have a wall/pillar, or get in his face and keep tanking.

2. if extras get pull the best you can do is run to the mobs are start tclaping, remember to watch the healer as mobs my slip by you and go for him.

3. well at lvl 18 you will prob get "lol it dosnt matter its a low lvl instance" but the most you can do is ask nicely for them to stop pulling ahead or doing other stupid stuff. if they keep up ask again less nicely. and finally just let them die they will learn soon enough to stop it.

4. as a war its not really a rotation more a priority and that priority at 18 is shield slam, sunder to 3 stacks, rend, tclap, heroic stirke. remeber if you have blood and thunder refresh rend with tclap but let it tick till the last second. and sunder can be used to fill gaps when heroic strike. as you get higher more spells come into play revenge before shield slam, cleave often on trash packs, and devastate as a filler spell.

5. as for addons get omen threat meter another addon that can help is one i found a day or so ago called nutty war announce, it acounces things like taunt fails shield wall and last stand up and more.
Howdy, hope some of this helps:

1) This is a good strategy if you can just go right up to the mob and start wailing on them for whatever reason.

2) At your level Thunderclap is the way to go for these situations. It is a good AoE threat move, but only gives you that threat up front. A better strategy for your level is to make sure you have a rend up on a target then try to thunderclap as the adds come in. Due to your talents, the rend will also be applied to the adds for continuing threat over its duration.

3) I give them one "Let me pull bro". If they do it a second time, I ask the healer not to heal them (so he/she does not get aggro) and just watch the mobs pound them. If others in the group are threatened, I will pick them up though. After the second time, vote kick is the way to go.

4) Kudos Onyxhorn for posting this in a thread I happen to post in yesterday. Obviously all of these skills are not applicable yet to you, but these will be:

Single:
SS > Rev > Dev > Dev until you get the hang of it. Once you have S&B practice catching your shield slam procs. Once you're comfortable with this, practice keeping TC & Demo Shout debuffs up while doing this. Do this for all single target situations. Once you're comfortable w/ that, you can start to work in stuff like Conc. Blow, Shockwave, Rend, etc.

Multi-mob:
- Open with Charge & Rend, then TC & Cleave, Demo
- Hit TC & Cleave whenever available
- Otherwise SS > Rev > Dev as above but change targets after each hit (Tab or manual change, whichever works best for you.)
- Once you have Shockwave, work it in right after you spread Rend w/ your first TC. Takes a little practice to get used to because its "aimed." Best to just take a step back to cause mobs to all group in front of you and be within the SWv cone area.

Addons:
Harlan nailed it, Tidy Plates Threat Plates allows you to easily see mobs that you are losing threat on in AoE situations:

Tidy Plates/Threat Plates:
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/tidy-plates.aspx
with
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/tidy-plates-threat-plates.aspx

Also, here is a link to my somewhat baby warrior I have been working on lately if you need any spec, glyph advice:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/khadgar/athrogate/

Good luck.

1. LOS pulling will be the best thing to do until you can get a hold of "Gag Order" from your talents. Gag order is the bread and butter of warrior pulling because heroic throw and shield bash will silence your targets. So when pulling mobs with a caster, use heroic throw on the caster on he'll have no choice but to run to you as well and makes gathering them all easier. Also, if there's a caster just out of your range, walk up to it and just hit shield bash for a 3 second silence that will force the mob to follow you.

2. Area of Effect (AOE) threat is a little hard(er) in the lower levels due to you not having all your tools. If you see more mobs coming, save thunder clap, gather the new mobs and establish aggro with clap (have a red up using the Blood and Thunder talent), demoralizing shout (yup, demo shout counts as 1/4 of a sunder so it helps) and cleave (at level 24). When you hit level 46 you'll get an awesome ability called Challenging Shout that makes all mobs within 10 yards focus on you for 6 seconds, giving you plenty of time to establish AOE threat.

Ultimately how AOE threat is managed is more based on your group than just what you do. If additional mobs start to path towards you, does your group back off and let you take your time to re-gather or does that eager mage just start spamming arcane explosion? Best thing I can tell ya for lower levels...be aware and try to keep the pulls managable...this is a good habit to follow and will help you greatly when doing the higher level instances.

3. The problem with Looking For Dungeon is you group with folks whom you will, more likely than not, see again after that instance. It's hard to really generate bonds and it's sadly a haven for people to act like total douche bags which is even sadder considering most of the people there are still learning their characters and could benefit from help. You're going to have to do the best you can, advise groups on what to do on complicated pulls and just hope you got some nice folks who are going to follow your lead. If you want good quality groups, you might have to sacrifice the expediency of random people and find some guildmates to come play with you.

4. As someone who's played all 4 tanks I can tell you the one thing I love about warriors is that we don't have a "set in stone" rotation that must be followed every single time. There are a sequence of abilities you want to use on certain pulls, but really, how you open up is up to you. If you want a guide to follow though...

If the pull involves 2 or more- Use AOE abilities first (rend into thunderclap, demo shout, cleave) get all the mobs looking at you right off that bat. Once all your AOE abilities are used, switch between each mob and hit them with single target abilities (sunder, heroic strike) as a means of doing something while you wait for your AOE abilities to come back up and when your AOE abilities are off cooldown, use them again.

If it's a single mob- Use all your single-target abilities (shield slam, heroic strike, sunder) that hit hard, make that single mob hate your guts by doing as much damage as you can.

Follow that guideline and as you gain in ability, use those abilities however you see fit. There is no 1-2-3-4 rotation and that freedom is what I love about warriors.

As far as add-ons go, Omen might be your best bet. Omen will be a set of bars showing everyone's threat on a mob, so if you tab target (using the tab button to switch targets. I would suggest mastering that as a warrior because tab targeting is key when your aoe threat is on cooldown and you need to gain threat on multiple mobs) and find the bar of your mage nearing yours then you'll know you'll need to hit that mob a little harder.

Hope that helps ya. Warriors are not the strongest in the aoe threat department, especially early on. Just be careful with your pulls, get gag order, and you'll be fine.