Master Post - Racial Lore Guides: Horde

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 4 5 6
Blood elf/High Elf/Half elf needs to be updated. Because it not only doesn't take into account the High Elves that are DK's and did not wish exile, but it's limiting in people's desires. What this says is that Lor'Themar can't mingle with Vareesa and the Alliance. You're literally saying that even Lor'Themar and his High Elven kin in the spire shouldn't be there. Half elves aren't common among the Horde, but you can't say it didn't happen.

I'd at least make sure the player knows their lore before they pick a rare breed of character. If they don't then obviously just casually correct them.
Love this guide a lot! It would be great to see it updated with the newer races (Goblins/Pandaren) or to reflect changes in the current lore but otherwise I think it is an awesome blueprint/foundation for how to design a Horde RP character.

It would be really cool to see an Alliance version of this as well. I love that Wyrmrest Accord makes these detailed guides for new roleplayers who are interested in getting into the setting.

Any time someone attempts to do something similar on the Moon Guard forums they are downvoted or shouted down into oblivion by people claiming that any guide/suggestion AT ALL is RP policing. Heaven forbid new players realized that roleplaying as a immortal vampyri worgen who is also a dragon prince may not go over swimmingly...

Wyrmrest really does feel like the last bastion of RP for people who actually give a !@#$ about the lore. It is really cool to see people stick up for that.
You are not a High Elf. You are not a Half-Elf. High elves and half-elves are Alliance-based. The high elves have thrown in their lot with the Alliance, and the half-elves are half-human, and thus attached to the Alliance. If you are one of these two things and you are playing in the Horde, disguise it. If you are open about this, you will be exiled or, more likely, executed. Play it smart if you must play it at all.

Let me ask as I have whenever I see this argument: Why? Obviously yes, for the High Elf, but what exactly prevents a Half-Elf from having aligned themselves with their elven parents during the split? I've honestly viewed the concept of "You can't have chosen your elven ancestry" as ridiculous. Do I think Half-Elves would be treated nearly as well as a full blooded Blood Elf? Not in any way shape or form, most likely second-class citizens, but I'd expect they'd be more than legal and allowed.
This totally needs updating cos there are so many new ideas and things. Not all trolls are tribal, not all gobbos are greedy little turds.
I may be months late to the party, but... BUMP.
Its definitely outdated, but I have a Goblin Guide on my guilds website if anyone wanted to give it a look.

http://redtalonbrewery.enjin.com/forum/m/10377757/viewthread/5477593-rpguide-so-you-want-to-roleplay-goblin
This is a really long post about how you think other people should RP, it has some good information for making a background for your character though. But I think you should RP how ever you want, as whatever you want.
11/26/2010 07:25 PMPosted by Allarya
Most of the power struggles seen in Silvermoon from RPers are duels or RP fights; this would not be tolerated by the guard

If only people followed that logic in cities, but they usually do it to flaunt their character's made-up powers and garner attention from it.

11/26/2010 07:25 PMPosted by Allarya
You do not hold titles equal to major NPCs.

Tell that to some of those Forsaken apothecary RPer dudes. I recall distinctly one claiming to be Grand Apothecary to succeed Putress, and him making a big issue about it over chat.

11/26/2010 07:28 PMPosted by Allarya
and do it in a manner that makes you want to punch them.

To this you should add, but don't fking do it in a city for f***'s sake because guards will nail your !@# for assaulting somebody, especially in Silvermoon. Or you'll get thrown out of the tavern you inhabit for hours on end every day while at the same time pretending to be constantly out fighting battles somehow.

11/26/2010 07:47 PMPosted by Allarya
Shamanism is not just a path for tauren, but a way of life: The ancestors exist in everything the tauren do, from death rites to simply hunting to provide meat for the herd. Tauren are always giving respect to their ancestors and honoring them daily.

This sentiment is very very similar with traditional orcish culture as well, although it varied based on clan which is the big difference(I don't know if the Bleeding Hollow, Bonechewer, or Laughing Skull held as much reverence as the Shadowmoon or Frostwolves for example), as far as I'm aware and can recall in things such as Chronicle the clan ancestors were guides and judges of their society.

Their teachings were passed down to younger generations, and at times made into law as evidenced by the Shadowmoon clan in how they viewed the Dark Star and forbade interaction with it. The crashed Genedar when it started to draw various spirits became a holy site for the orcs to come and commune with their ancestors, for another example.

11/26/2010 07:49 PMPosted by Allarya
Broth from the Melting pot is usually muddled: The tauren have been split into various tribes for thousands of years. These tribes have all found their own way of worshiping the Earthmother and their ancestors. Rituals, greetings, and even clothing may not be the same for each tribe. Smaller tribes may find their rituals being over shadowed by larger more dominate tribes, so their identity might slowly be edged out of the equation. Sometimes the most devastating part of being the last of your culture is watching as it slowly fades from existence.

Blizzard writers should expand upon this, it would add a greater depth to the race's lore as it does with other races whose tribes or clans recieve varying levels of mention and history in the universe. There are differing tribes, but there's scant information on what lands they ranged in previous to Thunder Bluff and the general stories of their journeys and leaders like there are with other races.
08/03/2016 08:26 AMPosted by Zaleck
You are not a High Elf. You are not a Half-Elf. High elves and half-elves are Alliance-based. The high elves have thrown in their lot with the Alliance, and the half-elves are half-human, and thus attached to the Alliance. If you are one of these two things and you are playing in the Horde, disguise it. If you are open about this, you will be exiled or, more likely, executed. Play it smart if you must play it at all.

Let me ask as I have whenever I see this argument: Why? Obviously yes, for the High Elf, but what exactly prevents a Half-Elf from having aligned themselves with their elven parents during the split? I've honestly viewed the concept of "You can't have chosen your elven ancestry" as ridiculous. Do I think Half-Elves would be treated nearly as well as a full blooded Blood Elf? Not in any way shape or form, most likely second-class citizens, but I'd expect they'd be more than legal and allowed.

As is the case with a fair number of glaring inconsistencies or simply glossed-over elements, this just isn't really well addressed. There's nothing I know of that expressly says they are all one or the other and honestly, with the way the racial relations and politics are shifting around especially with Legion and leading up to it, alliances are going to be inconventional at times, maybe more often. I'd hope for people to ask stuff like this at Blizzcon but unfortunately actual lore questions aren't brought up a lot, and more than a few times the blizzard staff on stage will not really answer confidently to something anyway when it pertains to lore.

Additionally, you aren't one faction or the other simply by merit of being born of a certain race in almost any instance in Warcraft. Exceptions are seen to my knowledge in every race I can think of off the top of my head, and there is such a thing as being aligned with neither the Horde nor the Alliance officially.