Customize Gear Appearance.

General Discussion
This has vexed me for some time now. It is the one thing I have wanted to see in this game for years, and yet the one thing they seem to out right refuse to implement.

The ability to switch the visual appearance of gear while retaining the gears stats is a feature that in the last four or five years has become fairly standard in nearly every recent MMORPG on the market. Games either launch with the feature or patch it in soon after launch.

There are generally two ways most MMOs implement gear customization. The first which is is probably the simplest in terms of programing. just give the player two slots for each visible piece of gear. you equip your item in slot 1 and gain the stats from that item, and it's visual appearance provided there is nothing in slot 2. put another piece of gear in slot 2 and you continue to have the stats from the item in slot 1 but gain the visual appearance of slot 2. This method is most notably, and ironically used in Everquest 2, the MMO with the most bland, and ugly armor of all 3D MMORPGs one of the few games it does not matter what you look like, because you will always look horrendous.

The second method is more complicated from a programing prospective. have NPCs similar in function to reforges that allow you to combine two pieces of gear together permanently changing the item used for the stats to look like the item used for the visuals, while destroying the old visual item. due to the complicated nature of this method and blizzards track record if we ever see a customization system introduced at all it will NEVER be this type.

The last I heard anything on this subject was about a year ago. There was some abjectly dumb response from Blue about how it would ruin "teh PvPz" because you wouldn't be able to eyeball what your opponent was wearing.
You know, because seeing that Tauren Warrior charging at you vastly outgears you is really going to change the outcome of the encounter. . .
Regardless what I think of the validity of that statement Aion's solution to this was to make PvP gear the only gear that could not be visually overridden, and of all the messed up game breaking things in that pile. this is one thing I have never heard come up as an issue.

I heard a while back one of the devs musing about tabards that make you look like you are wearing a full set of old school tier armor, while going in the right direction this of course misses the point.
As much as I know it breaks the armor designers hearts, many of us do not like how most tier gear looks, and even those that do there is always "That" inevitable tier they are not going to like the design of. Many people also over the course of 6 years have acquired certain items that have become self identifiers. Things that they wear because its just become part of them. People that know them can easily identify them in a crowd.
For example I have had a pair of Speedy Racer Goggles for 5 years. an item that has been unacquirable for the last 3. I always have them on when I am not raiding or PvPing. even if people can't see my name they know who I am, and if there were some way to always look like I had them on I would us it.
I can tell you right now this would be a feature people would actually use, unlike that vaporous Dance School that gets brought up every so often.
I know because it is already used extensively in every game it is put in.

The very fact World of Warcraft is as old as it is and still does not even have any plans to introduce such a system just blows my mind.
I have to agree.
If you want to look different, wear different gear. There you go.

Slamming the PVP aspect of the game and all its players doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate concern.

Meanwhile, keep asking for something that only really matters when you're standing around a capital city not doing much of anything.
The Appearance Tab's whisperings have reached out to you and spurred you to post this topic.

The Appearance Tab is what you're looking for. Or some deviation of it.

Hopefully one day, under the Double Rainbows of Gilneas, we will get it.
Meanwhile, keep asking for something that only really matters when you're standing around a capital city not doing much of anything.

So because you don't see any real reason we should be able to customize our gear, it must be a useless feature, right?
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981899278

Please don't make duplicate threads. The good threads get buried and lost that way.

Slamming the PVP aspect of the game and all its players doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate concern.
He didn't say it wasn't legitimate, he even offered ways around it.

Hell if there was an appearance option at the expense of never participating in PvP again I, and I'm sure many others would take it.
So an RP solution, to a RP problem is unacceptable for some reason.

Apparently it is to you. An appearance tab or whatever wouldn't affect gameplay in the slightest.

Do you really thing druids have a pvp advantage because they can "hide" their gear, for example? And even if you do think that, what's stopping blizz from adding a simple option to the UI to disable this sort of thing on your end?

"Many of us" also think this is a waste of the Devs time.

See how that works?

How about the majority of every game released since wow, possibly all of them, have had this feature?

Is that not extremely embarassing to you? To the devs? This game is GARBAGE in the customization department compared to city of heroes, guild wars 1, champions online, aion, APB.

As a crafty veteran of APB I can't agree more. It is a extremely simple thing to implement for the devs, so one can only assume they just don't want that feature to be available for us. It's a shame really, as a lot nice looking sets are in the game and are of course useless at level 80 (85).
All failure games that were extremely superior to wow in the character customization department. I mean wow is a complete failure, with zero effort put into it, and those other games were all pretty good in this area.[/quote]
So an RP solution, to a RP problem is unacceptable for some reason.

Well how about this? You people keep making these threads with the assumption that because you and some other vocal minorities want something, then that must mean it's somehow needed or wanted by the rest of us. Well, it's not. Sorry!

"Many of us" also think this is a waste of the Devs time.

See how that works?

So because not everybody wants something, it shouldn't be implimented at all...

That makes zero sense what-so-ever.

And saying that because somebody thinks the developers should consider their suggestion means that they feel they speak for everyone is really moronic.