How are Shamans, really?

Shaman
I've never played a Shaman before, decided to try one out.

Enhancement seems like it combines my 2 favorite classes (Mages and Rogues), so I went with that.

And honestly? I'm having a LOT of fun. More then I ever did with my mage.
Whata re all the complaints about? Are shamans actually terrible now? r is it something else?

I should add that this would be purely PVE with maybe some BG runs. Im not at all interested in PVP.
People just like to complain...

Shamans are fine, both 3 specs are fun to play and are useful (PvP enh is hard though) !

Im currently ele/resto, but im going enh/resto when the expac comes out in December, I want to raid/pvp heal

Im usually in the top dps in PvE as elemental, I dont have crazy gear, but I know my character very well and I always do very well !

Welcome and have fun

DWARF SHAMIES FTW !!! avatar is not updated yet
all specs are nice atm. all thats left is to pick a play style. healing, casting dps or melee
DEYZ OFF TEH CHAIN!!

I actually really enjoy my shaman even if we got ripped of in cata .
she was a little bit of a pain to level but I liked her 70+
I plan to do more with her in cata I recently brought her over to horde side finally.
Only real issues for Enhancement are awkward, ineffective AoE and potential scaling issues at very high gear levels (particularly in the desire to use a spell caster weapon in BiS gear at 85)
Sounds good.
So most of it is just the general "My class isn't the best, so therefore it's terrible" complaining we get everywhere, right?

I'm honestly thinking of dropping my mage for this Shammy. he's just so much fun.

i luvs d shaman
Only real issues for Enhancement are awkward, ineffective AoE and potential scaling issues at very high gear levels (particularly in the desire to use a spell caster weapon in BiS gear at 85)

Even at lower levels this is obvious. I do far, far more damage on my baby enhancement shaman with a the caster heirloom MH than I do with a Mass of McGowan in the MH.

Anyway, I'm still too low with my shaman to really make a judgment, but I will say that they have a much easier starting experience than many other classes do right now. Both Elemental and Enhancement are brutal leveling specs that just seem to buzzsaw through content even without heirlooms; only uncrittable tanking specs are capable of taking on more at once, I think.
If it is fun, play it. It won't matter if you are playing the current FotM and doing top dps, if you don't like it, you won't play it. In the end, this is a game and it's supposed to be fun. I am currently on a quest to find an alt for cataclysm (altoholic here) and am having a blast with locks and warriors even though they have been allegedly lolnerfed.

I tried playing an 80 mage I have on a different server and fell asleep. Sure I did great dps (fell asleep with face on keyboard), but I was bored out of my mind and have a feeling I won't log into that toon again for many months.

TL;DR - Forget about FotM, if you like it, rock it til the cows come home.