My pet won't attack

Hunter
So I decided to roll a new hunter now that there are a bunch of new quests... first thing I notice when I enter the world is I have no pet action bar. Having played a hunter previously, I realize there's something wrong.

After looking through every Interface option I can think of, I decide to just enable Bartender for my new toon. That solves the issue - I now have a pet action bar. I figure they must have decided to hide it for new players or something, not big deal.

Now, however, I try hitting Ctrl-1 to have my pet attack a squirrel. (It's important he learns that at an early level.) The button gets highlighted in yellow... but the dumb animal just says there doing nothing. I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong, and it's getting annoying.

Anyone have any ideas? Did I forget to turn on my brain or something?
You do not have control of your pet until you train into 'Control Pet' at level 10. All you can do prior to that is call pet and revive pet. You don't get the pet's special ability until level 20. These are the new 4.0 changes.
You do not have control of your pet until you train into 'Control Pet' at level 10. All you can do prior to that is call pet and revive pet. You don't get the pet's special ability until level 20. These are the new 4.0 changes.

Thanks, that explains it. (Guess I should read more than just the Mage patch notes...)
I do have 'Control Pet', [passive,] and my pet doesn't attack, not when I attack, (and it's defensive,) not when it's near an enemy, (and it's aggressive,) and not when I'm attacked. Only when I tell it to (ctrl-I). ?
nvm.
Evidently it's a problem with the Blackrock Battle Worg's. Others have had the same issue when they've tamed them. (And it wasn't easy <sigh>)
I'm havcing the same problem.My pet only attacks when i send him and I keep him on defensive.
09/02/2011 08:51 AMPosted by Cherrypies
I'm havcing the same problem.My pet only attacks when i send him and I keep him on defensive.

That's because of the recent change to pet stances. Defensive reacts only once you have been struck in combat. Assist begins attacking once you have struck an enemy.
nvm.
Evidently it's a problem with the Blackrock Battle Worg's. Others have had the same issue when they've tamed them. (And it wasn't easy <sigh>)

Yeah.. I made my friend help me tame one of those on a alt hunter.. and kind of got mad when it was just cosmetic -.-.