Why reforging removal is a mistake

General Discussion
1 2 3 13 Next
So I'm sure none of you new Blizzard devs know this, since they didn't even seem to think twice about removing reforging... But if you remove reforging, people are just going to go back to complaining that classes are not balanced, and instead of developing, all you guys are going to be doing is tweaking, just to realized, there is no tweak that will make everyone happy. Welcome back to the OP classes. Sad you guys turn over devs so much you don't realize this. Try paying them better. :P
In heaven, people would complain about the color of the plates and forks.
honestly considering the nature of the new secondary and tertiary stats I'm not even sure the reason they are removing it even exists anymore
Eh I never really liked reforging. Good riddance
01/30/2014 11:31 PMPosted by Siskiy
Eh I never really liked reforging. Good riddance

And I'm guessing it was because of hit/expertise? With those gone reforging turns into what it was originally meant to be, and that was to be able to further customize your gear. It's not as awesome for DPS since they're always one stat > another stat > last stat so reforging is linear but for tanks and healers there's a myriad of ways you can reforge. Removing it just takes away those options and playstyles which I think is asinine.
How exactly are you linking reforging and class balance? Reforging was in no way introduced to balance classes.
The way they keep simplifying gear Im waiting for them to just have STR AGI and INT and be done with it lol. Its really getting kinda silly. I will agree it can be a pain keeping stats like HIT where it needs to be but with reforging its not a big deal.
Pretty glad they're removing it.

It was always frustrating trying to get my brother to reforge his gear.

It never did happen.. guess it never will lol
You say "go back to" as if they stopped.
I wont miss hit/expertise caps but i will miss making use of crappy drops.
I wont miss it. Getting sick of having to rtfm for this game.
01/30/2014 11:58 PMPosted by Vyndros
Pretty glad they're removing it.

It was always frustrating trying to get my brother to reforge his gear.

It never did happen.. guess it never will lol

Min/Maxxing by monopolizing gear was terrible. So was watching loot rot that had didn't have BIS stats.

Reforging was a nice solution to that. The problem with Reforging was Hit/Expertise caps, which is a non-issue in WoD.
01/30/2014 11:47 PMPosted by Azivalla
How exactly are you linking reforging and class balance? Reforging was in no way introduced to balance classes.

Its likely because back before reforging, certain tiers would favor one class disproportionately over another based upon what secondary stats were on the gear.

If your a class who really only benefits from mastery but there isn't a single helmet with mastery in the entire current raid instance, your SOL. Your forced to either use a piece from a previous tier or grit your teeth and take the current tier piece which has absolutely no value to you outside of primary stats.

Back in wrath, BiS for fury warriors used to be a leather belt bought with valor points with crit and agil. This was because there were no well itemized plate belts in ICC for them.
While I am baffled by the removal of reforging, I can't really agree with your premise. The classes aren't going to suddenly fall out of balance becuase people need to wear a few pieces of gear that doesn't have the preferred stat allocation on it. Stat priorities are fairly close in most cases, and if they aren't.... then the devs should have to worry about it.

All is as it should be.
01/31/2014 12:15 AMPosted by Egnomerous
While I am baffled by the removal of reforging, I can't really agree with your premise. The classes aren't going to suddenly fall out of balance becuase people need to wear a few pieces of gear that doesn't have the preferred stat allocation on it. Stat priorities are fairly close in most cases, and if they aren't.... then the devs should have to worry about it.

All is as it should be.

So you say until you come across that tier of raid with absolutely no mastery pieces.
A single gear slot without a mastery piece would likely tip the balance of tanks to be extremely unfavorable to DKs without reforging.
How do you know they didn't think twice about it. I wonder, were you there? Did it take all of five seconds? I doubt it, I bet it took time to decide on it or not.

Eitherway good bye to it. I'm tired of having two or three sites with disagreeing, conflicting, or vague ideas on how I should be reforging anyway.
01/31/2014 12:16 AMPosted by Havïk
So you say until you come across that tier of raid with absolutely no mastery pieces.
A single gear slot without a mastery piece would likely tip the balance of tanks to be extremely unfavorable to DKs without reforging.

I am not afraid, my sky is not falling.
I rue and lament the death of reforging as I know for a fact there will be a missing mastery piece in the final tier of WoD's mythic raiding. It will likely be something noticeable like the chest, or perhaps several pieces like chest, legs and belt of which there are no pieces with mastery whatsoever. Honestly, what use will we have for something with crit and haste?

It will force serious raid teams to either drop their tank who needs that stat (in this case the DK) or force said tanks to roll a different class which is better favored by the loot table in order to remain viable.
Losing reforging kinda sucks. I could at least sorta use gear without mastery on it, now forget it.