Fix for PVP vs PVE gear idea.

General Discussion
As some1 who has enjoyed both PVE and PVP since vanilla MC I will try and be as unbiased as possible.

My idea:
First remove PVP power and resilience bonuses from pvp gear, then to compensate boost pvp gear to match the item level of PVE gear.

Next make tiers for PVP gear like you have for PVE with LFR, Flex, Norm, Heroic. For example PVPers with 2200 rating or above would have access to pvp gear with ilvl 581(the equivalent of heroic raiding gear), rating 1800-2200 would have access to item lvl 561 pvp gear(the equivalent of normal raiding gear) and so on going down. Set bonuses can be around to give pvp gear a a slight bonus in pvp and pve gear a slight bonus in pve. Once PVPers reach the rating req for a set of gear they should be able to buy it for free or a few gold since reaching the rating was the challenge (equiv of boss killing in PVE). PVPers should not lose the gear if they stop PVP or lose rating, since raiders dont lose gear if they stop or fail at raids. However when the new PVP season starts PVPers will have to restart and get their rating back up to get that season's superior gear just like PVErs have to do when new dungeons are released. Since previous seasons PVP gear becomes more easily accessible each season every1 will have an equal opportunity to climb the ratings ladder each season.
Pros from these changes:
1) By doing this we would make world pvp an even playing field for equal level pvp/pve players. 2) This will not lead to a gear imbalance in ranked BGs or arena, because you will still verse people with similar rating to you who have access only to ur ratings corresponding gear (so you will be able to climb the ladder to get better rating and hence gear). 3) World pvp will be dominated by elite players of both pvp and pve as it should be since the world has both pvp and pve in it. 4) This would make invalid the complaint that a lot of raiders have about PVP gear being too easy to obtain. 5) This would remove the need to nerf PVE gear in BGs since that was only implemented b.c PVP gear was much lower ilvl than PVE gear. 6) The only ppl who this would negatively affect are the PVPers who are lousy at PVP and want to be rewarded for sucking, or the PVErs who just want to two shot PVPers in world PVP (since none of us like either of these groups of people this is definately a pro).

So what do you guys think of these ideas? Obviously the numbers for ratings and corresponding gear level are debatable. Lets keep trolling to a minimum and have a good discussion here.
Rating is a terrible way to gate gear, all that does is make an unbalanced system even worse. I'm all for gear being equal in pvp but rating is just a terrible way to do it.

Really if you want pvp gear to be gated the same as pve make it RNG drops that you can only try for once a day/week, have fun.
02/11/2014 12:35 PMPosted by Ziryus
Rating is a terrible way to gate gear, all that does is make an unbalanced system even worse. I'm all for gear being equal in pvp but rating is just a terrible way to do it.

Really if you want pvp gear to be gated the same as pve make it RNG drops that you can only try for once a day/week, have fun.

Dude! You're a genius! Make a PVPDungeon arena type thing, and whichever faction/team wins, the players from the winning side either get honor points, or a piece of gear! Once you win once you no longer get the gear, but still get honor points until cap. Or something of that nature.
02/11/2014 12:35 PMPosted by Ziryus

I dont see how this would make things more unbalanced than they already are. In rated BGs or arena you will vs ppl with same rating as you hence have access only to same gear as you due to matchmaking. Unranked BGs will stay a random cluster like they are now. World PVP will never be balanced since this an RPG not Call of Duty or something.

Your RNG drops idea in BGs is actually a pretty good idea id say, it could be a good compliment to my idea. I think Blizz said they would implement something along the lines of your idea in WOD.
No matter how hard they try, wpvp will never be fair or balanced. It never has been in the past 9 years, not sure why people expect this to all of a sudden happen.

But on your gear structure, it should work that way. Gear awarded on rating. As of right now you can be dreadfull and get the best pvp gear.
I like this RNG idea a lot, heck may even try PvP if they make how you get the gear morelike how you get gear in PvE ....
02/11/2014 12:42 PMPosted by Zedara
I like this RNG idea a lot, heck may even try PvP if they make how you get the gear morelike how you get gear in PvE ....

Not only that, it would implement more team cooperation, such as raids, only in pvp mode. Bringing better PvP understanding importance such as crowd control, interrupts, heals, and damage. There's a time for everything and every way in the World of Warcraft!
I'd say ranking could be a title just like the old Grand Marshall or Warlords (I think was horde, right?)
PvP gear is nerfed relative to PvE in the open world because the vast majority of the open world is PvE based.

Also, gear can often be irrelevant to world PvP. I go onto the Timeless Isle on my Demo warlock, and I managed to harass a five-man group of Censered killers by dropping a teleport circle on top of Huolon's tower, then using double knockback to kick them off into the sea before teleporting away to safety. My warlock had a 502 item level at the time.
If you read Lores comments from a bit ago... The fix will be pvp/pve items of the same ilvl.. pvp will be better in pvp, pve will be better in pve..

Just remember.. this is at the same ilvl...
Trial of the Gladiator already removes 'the rich get richer'. Every single player in Trial of the Gladiator is on an even playing field.

Given that... I have no problem putting rating requirements on gear. However, 2200 is little high these days though. On US servers, 2200 is gladiator rating. That's only a few thousand players... whereas more than ten thousand players have Heroic SoO on farm. Tweak those numbers a bit, but otherwise the concept seems sound.
So the only thing that will separate pvp gear from pve gear is the set bonus? Oh hold on, I think I can hear the "PVP geared player in my PVE raid" QQ incoming.

TAKE COVER!!!

When Prideful is released PVP gear should once again top PVE gear(excluding Heroic) in all PVP by far considering its 540, assuming the resil change doesn't offset the power gains too much.
My idea is better. Remove PvP gear. Make everyone PvP in regular gear. All gear can be obtained with either Arena rating or raids.

Lowest level difficulty (LFR) = BG rewards

Next level difficulty (Flex) = Arena rewards below a certain score

Next Level difficulty (Normal) = RBGs

highest level difficulty (Heroic) = Highest Arena scores.
02/11/2014 12:53 PMPosted by Bonkadadonk
If you read Lores comments from a bit ago... The fix will be pvp/pve items of the same ilvl.. pvp will be better in pvp, pve will be better in pve..

Just remember.. this is at the same ilvl...

Haven't seen it, can anyone share or link this? Also the part of the problem now is that pvp gear with the same ilvl as upper end PVE gear doesnt exist.
last bump for more discussion
I tend to zone out and stop reading when people open with a ive been around since vanilla comment lol