DDoS attacks again?

General Discussion
Hey all! just recently started playing again, and for some reason, the past 30 minutes or so, I keep Disconnecting. Is this a DDoS attack again? Or can I blame my internet, because it usually runs very very well..?
Seems too random and too short for DDOS.
You think they would attack servers for longer periods if they were DDosing
It would seem so.

Same stuff be happening on EU servers too =/
02/13/2014 01:32 AMPosted by Dorbie
Seems too random and too short for DDOS.
You think they would attack servers for longer periods if they were DDosing

They seem to be doing this in short, aggravating bursts... A month or so ago they had a 4 hour long DDoS attack...
Considering the WOW servers are designed to deal with millions of players, a DDoS attack would have to be fairly impressive to pull off.
02/13/2014 01:35 AMPosted by Kompressor
Considering the WOW servers are designed to deal with millions of players, a DDoS attack would have to be fairly impressive to pull off.

Yet these past 6 months have had quite a lot of them. Short, big and in between. It's becoming quite frequent...

Not entirely.. Yes, the servers are designed to withstand tremendous amounts of players, but.. That doesn't mean one man couldn't take down a server. All you need is the knowledge.. They aren't actually "hacking" the servers, it's more of jamming. Like trying to fit 10 cars in a 2 car garage.
We have a huge storm system moving across the US currently.

This could very likely impact WoW servers despite the storm heading to the Northeastern part of the US.
02/13/2014 01:48 AMPosted by Mokra
We have a huge storm system moving across the US currently.

This could very likely impact WoW servers despite the storm heading to the Northeastern part of the US.

Anything based on the NYC server farms is probably going to see some effect. Either due to comm line or power grid issues.
Its properly Blizzards cost cutting as they keep merging Servers and the servers cant handle it it got a lot worse new years eve onward.
Occam's Razor guys....

Obviously it is nerd snorks with 3 inch horns causing this.
That's why they target the ISP and not the server itself. They want to sow chaos, and this lets them hit way more targets than Blizzard more efficiently.
I'm quite sure the only companies not DDoSable are Amazon, Google and Microsoft.

They have so much capacity that DDoSing them only slows their servers ... a little.

The way a DDoS works is that the systems send millions and millions (maybe even billions!) of crap every second to their target. Everything just crashes because no system is designed to handle the level of insane traffic a DDoS gives.

----
A Goddess of Beauty
02/13/2014 04:28 AMPosted by Tempcharac
I'm quite sure the only companies not DDoSable are Amazon, Google and Microsoft.

You've seriously never seen Microsoft's server taken down?

Just throwing this out there.

The recent attacks DerpTrolling made against CloudFlare, one of the largest content delivery networks in the world, was one of the hardest hitting DDOS attacks to have been done in a long time, as well as the largest that has ever hit CloudFlare.

This may come off rude or whatever, but I don't think Blizzard's servers are much trouble to at least make everyone lag, and if not, maybe take down the login server like they did a month ago?

Source: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/biggest-ddos-ever-aimed-at-cloudflares-content-delivery-network/
I was told to wear a tinfoil hat when I brought up the same thing last month. Must be they have no idea about networking at all.
02/13/2014 05:37 AMPosted by Exelo
I was told to wear a tinfoil hat when I brought up the same thing last month. Must be they have no idea about networking at all.

The newest shout down is to call someone a conspiracy theorist. When you come in armed with facts, you're called a conspiracy theorist.

-----
A Goddess of Beauty
Who's DDoS?
02/13/2014 05:41 AMPosted by Mashari
Who's DDoS?

amg Wow is kill ;_;