Holy Paladins?

Paladin
Okay. So. I'm thinking of respeccing to holy. I was first ret (which I hated), then I respecced to prot (but I'm irrationally scared to death of tanking endgame), but I don't want my paladin to just sit there collecting dust, so I'm looking at the only spec left (not to mention, I love healing). The problem is, I have tried holy before (once upon a time) and I didn't really like it due to the lack of AoE healing as compared to the other healing classes.

So, yeah. How are holy paladins right now in raids?
Holy Paladins are excellent healers in any content.
02/19/2014 01:37 AMPosted by Areos

...Okay? How so?
Holy Paladins are pretty terrible if you compare them to other healers in 25 man, but they are very, very strong in 10 mans on the flip side(not that it matters, since next expac it's all 20 man raiding).

We don't bring anything particularly unique to the table, and our utility is only so-so at best in raids, especially with the hotfix to BoP not removing the tank cloak debuff.
Holy Paladins are pretty strong in 10m, (especially with EF/HA) and their utility is decent. Hence why my RL won't let me sit out a lot of bosses that I'd rather not do. But I'm really not looking forward to Mythic raiding. With the way we work right now I'm going to be getting spanked constantly.
As others have said, we are extremely powerful in 10 man content, but struggle in 25 man content. Once mythic raiding hits the table, unless there are some changes coming to holy paladins, we will undoubtedly be in the gargantuan shadow of other healing classes.
Paladin healing is great.

10 man go Haste/Crit with Eternal Flame

25 man go Mastery/Crit with Holy Radiance
02/19/2014 01:42 AMPosted by Emilía
02/19/2014 01:37 AMPosted by Areos

...Okay? How so?

We bring a unique set of AoE heals to the table with HR and Daybreak. You can hit ranged with an AoE heal and melee with an AoE heal. No other healer can split AoE heals like we can. Whether you spec into SH (faster AoE heals) or EF for HoT heals is up to the Pally's choice, but very few classes can bring to bear the power of burst heals like a Pally can. You should be using HR and Daybreak for AoE and using EF on targets when you have 3 HP while a beacon is feeding the main tank. Your healing numbers will always be down if you are trying to single target heal everything in the raid. You should also be rotating through your cooldowns (Wings, Divine Favor, Trinkets) I save Kings for emergencies or known high healing output.

I am consistently top 2 in 25 mans because I split my AoE heals with HR and Daybreak and use EF to off heal targets, which the HoTs feed the tank through Beacon. Or you can split your AoE heals between ranged and melee with HR and Daybreak and use Selfless Healer to accelerate your HR casts and generate HP for LoD casts and go more general AoE. Either way can generate powerful heals. With a good proc string of Divine Purpose, I have placed up to 6 players with HoTs on them that are ticking for 20k-40k (and I don't have great gear) and 50% of that funnels to the main tank. That's 60k-120k HoTs on the tank, not to mention all the AoE heals funneling through beacon.

Your 2 set bonus is a 25% increase to HoL, LoD, and HR when Infusion of Light is active. You should be casting an HR on an Infusion of Light proc unless your tank is about to die. Your 4 set increases Mastery on a Divine Favor use. Mastery increases your Illuminated Healing. Get those healing shields on everyone you can.

Even if everyone is topped off, keep on casting to apply Illuminated Healing. Combining targeted AoE heals, Illuminated Healing (healing shields) with powerful single target heals when needed makes Pallys a very strong healer. Mana management can be tough, but with either the correct amount of Spirit or Spirit/Mana trinkets can help along with Divine Plea for regeneration.

Let me know if you want me to go into spec/rotation specifics.
02/19/2014 10:03 AMPosted by Lawbringer
10 man go Haste/Crit with Eternal Flame25 man go Mastery/Crit with Holy Radiance

lol no, never crit.

Yes Paladin healing is great. No Crit is our worse stat. There are very very few paladins that can actually "work" a crit build and its just too RNG to be reliable. AMR suggests crit as our best stat because in theory it can put out nice numbers but in reality it falls too short to be useful.

TLDR; 7170 haste then mastery and more mastery and a little mastery on top of that.
02/19/2014 04:13 PMPosted by Ceresc

Yes Paladin healing is great. No Crit is our worse stat. There are very very few paladins that can actually "work" a crit build and its just too RNG to be reliable. AMR suggests crit as our best stat because in theory it can put out nice numbers but in reality it falls too short to be useful.

TLDR; 7170 haste then mastery and more mastery and a little mastery on top of that.

^^ this