What death knight races REALLY make sense?

Story Forum
1 2 3 7 Next
Wanting to make a death knight but some of the races just don't make sense lore wise to me.

Draenei- if deaenei distrust/dislike dark magic things. warlocks/dks/demons and dk's are stripped from the light can they not use gift of the naaru anymore?

Worgen- I thought if you were cursed to be worgen you cant become an undead?

Undead- So they double die to the lich king?

Lore wise what DK's make the most sense? besides humans and orcs?
Blood Elves and Dwarves are the only other races that come to mind which fought against the Lich King long enough and don't have any lorelols associated with them being DK's.

Trolls are a possibility as well, though from a lore standpoint Troll DK's would make more sense as Forest Trolls than Jungle Trolls, since their lands were decimated by the Scourge.
02/19/2014 06:58 AMPosted by Saitharian
Blood Elves and Dwarves are the only other races that come to mind which fought against the Lich King long enough and don't have any lorelols associated with them being DK's.

Trolls are a possibility as well, though from a lore standpoint Troll DK's would make more sense as Forest Trolls than Jungle Trolls, since their lands were decimated by the Scourge.

Any info on the tree races I called out on? those are more puzzling to me than anything specially the draenei/undead.
Humans,Undead, Trolls, Dwarves. Tauren and Orcs too but that might be pushing it.

Because they are the largest of the faction races and have some reason for actually being in the plaguelands at the time of Acherus. Granted Forest Trolls wouldn't simply rush to the Horde but still.

Gnome DKs don't make much sense like Gnome Warriors but I grew up with D&D STR penalties for races of the smaller size category so /shrug.

Worgen don't make sense though and I don't recall seeing a single Steamwheedle Goblin in W/EPL which would make the gobln DK a Kezan Goblin which again, no sense.

At least there's no Panda DKs.

Edit: Oh yea Blood Elves. Forgot about them.
Also wondering about monks, like lore wise what would be more monk-ish... i hate wanting to make a class then everything but 1 or 2 things be it.
02/19/2014 06:44 AMPosted by Phyxotica
Worgen- I thought if you were cursed to be worgen you cant become an undead?

No you can make Undead Worgen, it just takes LK level Necromancy to do it. Seeing as all playable DKs where raised by the LK himself it makes sense.
Oh Tauren DK? Theres plenty of them in naxx. Lore Wise? At a guess you'd be talking Dawn Seekers and Grimtotem. More so Grimtotem as they 'go there' into dark places. Dawn Seekers may have bumbled into the wrong bad thing. Drenae? Who's to say that all Drenae distrust the void and Twisted Shadow. I vaguel recall a story that started on BloodMystIsle and ended in SMV. The story was about some Errador (SP) that were all about learning how to use the Void. IIRC they were hoping to make void powered armor and what not. SOmething about wantint to have it to lay the proverbial smack down on Sarrgras
As to monks? That's more of a personel journey.
If it were World Of Darkness:Mage The Ascention Goblins and Gnomes would be technomancers.
Elves as monks? Simple the Archytypical (yet adventurous) purveyor of knowledge and truth- a bit more like Jedi, Harisson For 40's style archaeologist.
Similler for forsaken. Both are classics
The awkward fit are Tauren, even if you accept the Minotaur POD bull type from Anime.
02/19/2014 07:06 AMPosted by Phyxotica
Also wondering about monks, like lore wise what would be more monk-ish... i hate wanting to make a class then everything but 1 or 2 things be it.

Obviously, this current class is built around Pandaren Monks, but there are some other races that have had monks in game.

Draenei monks, but they are more spirtual monks.
Scarlet Crusade has monks, but they use the light.
Trolls do some form of martial arts, and only race that has its own Monk trainer.

The Monk class in WoW is built around kungfu, drinking brews, and controlling the Mist, which is all from Pandaren. I think that was a mistake to build the entire class around a single race.
02/19/2014 07:21 AMPosted by Eago
No you can make Undead Worgen, it just takes LK level Necromancy to do it. Seeing as all playable DKs where raised by the LK himself it makes sense.

Except the playable Worgen came after LK was dead. They were still humans in Gilneas.
02/19/2014 08:11 AMPosted by Assaji
02/19/2014 07:06 AMPosted by Phyxotica

Obviously, this current class is built around Pandaren Monks, but there are some other races that have had monks in game.

Scarlet Crusade has monks, but they use the light.
Trolls do some form of martial arts, and only race that has its own Monk trainer.

The Monk class in WoW is built around kungfu, drinking brews, and controlling the Mist, which is all from Pandaren. I think that was a mistake to build the entire class around a single race.

Agreed.
The Death Knight character has ties to the Argent Dawn. That organization, while light based, accepts anyone willing to fight the Scourge. Regardless of race, most people aren't fond of ex-Scourge soldiers living and fighting with them.

Simply, don't worry too much about what race "fits". At most, just worry about the city you'd be staying in.
Human, Draenei and Blood Elf.

The Scarlet Crusade and Argent Dawn have always had a presence in the region. Blood Elves and Draenei were the major players in that region's most recent large conflict, the battle on Quel'Danas. Which featured a significant scourge presence.

So most of the fresh bodies would be humans, draenei and blood elves. There'd be a lot of dead blood elves, humans and draenei laying about in close proximity to scourge agents.

I don't know. The Auchenei monks seem more like the !@#-beating kind of monk to me.
I believe Death Knights never died, but were just converted by the Lich King, that's why they are not decayed. I believe that high elves that were converted to Death Knight before they became Blood elves. Then the Battle of Light Hope Chapel gave the death knights free will, but they are not the same person as before their conversion, like the forsaken undead, they retain some memory cells of their past lives, but it has no meaning to them since their original soul has moved on to the Light.
02/19/2014 08:13 AMPosted by Assaji
02/19/2014 07:21 AMPosted by Eago

Except the playable Worgen came after LK was dead. They were still humans in Gilneas.

The worgen DKs are ones that were with Arugal, then the LK got him, he took the others too.
02/19/2014 10:00 AMPosted by Glather
I believe Death Knights never died, but were just converted by the Lich King, that's why they are not decayed. I believe that high elves that were converted to Death Knight before they became Blood elves. Then the Battle of Light Hope Chapel gave the death knights free will, but they are not the same person as before their conversion, like the forsaken undead, they retain some memory cells of their past lives, but it has no meaning to them since their original soul has moved on to the Light.

There are different levels of decomp. You don't have to look like a Forsaken to be undead.
Humans and blood elves have a ton of death knight possibilities: they fought and died against the Scourge en masse in Lordaeron, Quel'Thalas, and Northrend. Each of those conflicts was a bit plot point in the Scourge's narrative and we explicitly see the dead being raised in all three of them.

It's not quite as prominent in most of the other DK races. We never saw Arthas lead a legion of necromancers through the heart of Kezan, we just know that at some unspecified point in the past, your goblin death knight died to the Scourge and woke up seeing red.
02/19/2014 10:00 AMPosted by Glather

All playable Death Knights were killed in battle with the Scourge prior to being raised. Only Arthas and Rivendare were alive when they became Death Knights.
I think draenei death knights would still be able to use GotN, but it'd be painful for them to do so.
02/19/2014 01:52 PMPosted by Lena
I think draenei death knights would still be able to use GotN, but it'd be painful for them to do so.

I view Draenei DK's as some of the most tragic characters in the game. Champions of light that died bravely, only to have their souls dragged screaming from their peace and chained by dark magic. After everything their people have suffered, after all the loss, sacrifice and pain, they aren't even allowed do die, and are forced to be the very thing they fought against. After they break free, they become completely aware of the monsters they've become and of the curse they're now slaves to. All of this of no fault of their own.

And yet they still have their Gift. The Narru haven't abandoned them, and hear their plight. The Gift is the tiny, guttering light in the black. The last hope that redemption, that release is still possible. I could see Draenei DK's, no matter how much pain it causes them, kneeling before O'ros and A'dal, beseeching a blessing, fighting tooth and nail to hold their hunger in check, trying to find the light again.

Even more horrible. Facing the Fel Orcs in Hellfire. Just imagine what a rage fueled Draenei DK remembering the slaughter of their family and people, could do if she let loose on the Path of Glory.
02/19/2014 06:44 AMPosted by Phyxotica
Undead- So they double die to the lich king?
Yeah. What's wrong with that? Sure there's a bunch of irony but it's not breaking lore or anything.