RET PVP

Paladin
Is ret worth trying to play in arena like 3v3 or 2v2... im asking because im either gonna play my ret next season or my lock the ret pally looks fun as hell but I don't really want to play something that is limited with what it can run with. and I never have played a caster in arena so I don't know if I would like it so much either... so if anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it a lot lol.
Ret can do ok in arenas provided you play the only comp available to them. But for the most part ret just plain sucks in PVP unless your doing random bgs fighting against baddies and undergeared players. Once you come in contact with an equally geared player of any spec other than ret kiss any viability goodbye.

Ret's self heals are so horrid on themselves and barely heal for anything with battle fatigue and op abilities like mortal strike and rogues poison, its reall sad when a rogue,warriors, dks, warlocks self heals (NON HEALING CLASSES BTW) are better than rets and on top of that they take no skill to apply and no dps to a very mininmal dps loss to apply and ret has to sacrifice 100% dps to heal.

Ret also has crappy sustained damage but great burst, however our burst is so easily countered due to the huge neon signs that flash whenever we try allowing other classes to completely bypass it. You see those signs a mile away you can run away and easily avoid it since ret has no snare or cc the ret so he cant use it. It literally takes no skill to completely negate rets burst.

Also because everyone who sees a ret knows ret is so weak you will be the first to be focused because you will die so fast once they break bubble or it wears off.

Ret aslo has no CC breaks like every other class except for shaman on a short cooldown outside of a 5 minute bubble or pvp trinket. Ret aslo has no way to reduce much inc damage outside of another long cooldown which is 40% magic reduction, or if you waste a glyph slot you get a measly 20% physical 20 magic which is nothing in comparison to other specs. Basically if you have a ret on your team and replace him with any other spec your team will do a hell of a lot better and get to a much higher rating. Theres still a ton more wrong with ret PVP.
You will have players that don't PVP or are blizzard fan bois come in and try and say ret is fine. Don't believe them because they are lying to you and only talking about PVE.
First of all don't get me wrong but ret is definitely in a pretty bad spot. However, when running with a hunter or Mage in 2s, or ret/hunter/heals (basically the only viable comp) in 3s, ret is a perfectly complimentary class to hunters and their synergy is so good. These are very powerful comps. Spec into selfless healer and execution sentence for more utility / damage and remember you're support first and Dps second. Utilize cleanse and hands and your hunter will basically set up a kill shot for you guys and that's when you use your burst CDs.

Now that being said, it's hard to find success as a ret pally. The last time I arena'd before coming back a few months ago was wrath and basically face rolled to 2200+ as a lock and DK. Much taller task as a ret. It is possible even though I've yet to accomplish that this season, only if you're playing with the limited comps that you're viable in.
It's funny, cause we have gotten alot of buffs and such since Ret was non existent, just every other class just flat out preforms better than Ret in alot of aspects. People will argue that out utility is really good. But the majority of the utility we bring, can be brought by a Holy paladin. Ret, by itself, is a pretty balanced spec, but compared to the others, plus Battle Fatigue gimping our heals, we are bottom of the barrel.

I don`t hope for a hell of a lot in the coming patches, but I have high hopes for WoD. Have faith, fellow Lightbringers!

But on a constructive note, I would like to see some sustained damage buffs, but to keep fairness intact, I would be fine with losing some of our utility if that were the case. At any rate, keep your chin up!
You really can't go wrong with warlock. It's been the best arena class over the years - always solid and always has a lot of comp variety. Currently Ret is tied at the hip to hunter in 3's and is outshined by warrior and rogue.
btw didn't you make this same thread a couple days ago
02/14/2014 04:47 PMPosted by Hoflerette
You really can't go wrong with warlock. It's been the best arena class over the years - always solid and always has a lot of comp variety. Currently Ret is tied at the hip to hunter in 3's and is outshined by warrior and rogue.
I still miss your videos TT are we ever going to see the return of Hof.
02/14/2014 06:13 PMPosted by Yihwa

there's always WoD :) hopefully it's a more enjoyable xpac for PvP than Panda
02/14/2014 07:37 PMPosted by Hoflerette
02/14/2014 06:13 PMPosted by Yihwa

there's always WoD :) hopefully it's a more enjoyable xpac for PvP than Panda
I miss ret rogue priest .......I came back to a scary new world TT save me hunter comps are boring D: .
yea hunter comps are boring the way they play now. i want to kite through frost traps, not spam cc the healer!
So while im at I may as well ask if you think the on use trinket is worth it if i all ready have synapse springs, I feel like battle masters keeps me a live a lot >>. Yeah I made this an ask hof stuff now.
02/15/2014 01:15 AMPosted by Yihwa
So while im at I may as well ask if you think the on use trinket is worth it if i all ready have synapse springs, I feel like battle masters keeps me a live a lot >>. Yeah I made this an ask hof stuff now.

I suggest you buy the on-use next season instead of BM's because it'll be a very high ilvl. Panda is very burst oriented. I miss the Goblin Glider, but I've stuck with BS and enchanting because I'm too lazy to deal with Synapse Springs and its shared CD. :P
02/15/2014 02:16 AMPosted by Hoflerette

I suggest you buy the on-use next season instead of BM's because it'll be a very high ilvl. Panda is very burst oriented. I miss the Goblin Glider, but I've stuck with BS and enchanting because I'm too lazy to deal with Synapse Springs and its shared CD. :P
Time to try juggling cds i guess :P
well guess ill try a lock lol pally really does look fun but they also look really weak =/
good choice you cant go wrong with one of blizzards favored classes
yeah ret is just extremely frustrating right now if your opponent isent a total bad, cant go wrong with a warlock
Ret is honestly not bad. Take a look at Vanguards and Luminant, they are clearly doing something right.

I get the feeling most people on these forums haven't had a long enough look at Paladins to talk about viability. I do fine in BGs, and I love being able to 1v2+ other full Grievous players. Also lots of fun to jump in a random group and queue for 2s while my partner is AFK. :)

Flash of Light crits for 100k when used on yourself, that's outside of cooldowns but I haven't checked procs yet. Word of Glory crits for around 60k, while you're kiting around gathering Holy Power that adds up pretty high, and with cooldowns up you're pretty much a god for 20 sec.

I think the low end for Ret is CC, but honestly who needs CC when you have lots damage, healing, and support with hand spells. If you're in an arena, just partner up with a class with a lot of CC and you're golden.

Just remember that Ret is not a pure melee class, and be prepared for a lot of time and effort into mastering this class.
02/18/2014 02:12 PMPosted by Arrial
Ret is honestly not bad. Take a look at Vanguards and Luminant, they are clearly doing something right.

I get the feeling most people on these forums haven't had a long enough look at Paladins to talk about viability. I do fine in BGs, and I love being able to 1v2+ other full Grievous players. Also lots of fun to jump in a random group and queue for 2s while my partner is AFK. :)

Flash of Light crits for 100k when used on yourself, that's outside of cooldowns but I haven't checked procs yet. Word of Glory crits for around 60k, while you're kiting around gathering Holy Power that adds up pretty high, and with cooldowns up you're pretty much a god for 20 sec.

I think the low end for Ret is CC, but honestly who needs CC when you have lots damage, healing, and support with hand spells. If you're in an arena, just partner up with a class with a lot of CC and you're golden.

Just remember that Ret is not a pure melee class, and be prepared for a lot of time and effort into mastering this class.
Hey, you may have missed that Vanguards said Ret is bad this patch and stopped plying his. So much for your theory
02/18/2014 02:34 PMPosted by Agincourt
02/18/2014 02:12 PMPosted by Arrial

Hey, you may have missed that Vanguards said Ret is bad this patch and stopped plying his. So much for your theory

You missed Luminant, and the rest of my post.