Item Level vs Character Level

General Discussion
Here's something I've been searching for an answer to for some time now. How can I determine if I qualify for an item based on it's item level and my own. At level 86 my highest level item, Staff of Broken Hopes, is item level 442.

How do I determine, as I raise up in levels, before hitting level 90, where it appears there are no restrictions, what item level I can pick from?

appreciate the assistance,
D
Not sure if I understand your question, but I'll give it a shot. Your character qualifies for any item at any ilvl as longs as your character is at or above the "Required Level" found on the tab that appears when you hover over an item. In other words, you are not restricted from using an item based on its ilvl; you are restricted from using an item based on the required character level for that item.

Hope this helps :)
thanks, but I'm looking for a bit more detail. I see the "Required Level" when viewing the item in game, or through one of the WOW sites, but I like to go treasure hunter after key items and I want to know if I qualify before venturing out. I'm wondering how the "Required Level" is calculated. I'd like to be able estimate my qualifications against the item details.

to be honest, as I approach lvl 90 (for the first time) I'm lost entirely on how item levels will apply to my ability to use them.

anyone have a strong grasp on this? everything I've read leave me more confused then before.

thanks, D
02/24/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Dulouz
thanks, but I'm looking for a bit more detail. I see the "Required Level" when viewing the item in game, or through one of the WOW sites, but I like to go treasure hunter after key items and I want to know if I qualify before venturing out. I'm wondering how the "Required Level" is calculated. I'd like to be able estimate my qualifications against the item details.

to be honest, as I approach lvl 90 (for the first time) I'm lost entirely on how item levels will apply to my ability to use them.

anyone have a strong grasp on this? everything I've read leave me more confused then before.

thanks, D

Sure!

Item level has 0% impact on your ability to use an item. Level requirement is the only factor.
02/24/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Dulouz
I'm wondering how the "Required Level" is calculated. I'd like to be able estimate my qualifications against the item details.

Your'e overthinking this.

if there is a Level Requirement - that refers to the level of your charater, 1-90. You must be that level at least to wear the item.

If there is no level requirement, then you can wear the piece at any level. Usually items like that come through quests.

There's no calculation… at least none that's important to consider. iLvl is only important to consider once you reach max level.
They are two completely unrelated stats.

You're asking how to calculate what your Spirit will be if you have 50 Strength.
Item level is just how good it is.

So say you have a 496 staff. You get a 522 staff from doing something. The 522 staff is better than the 496 staff.

However 522 is still suck go for 540-553/561 that's where the real goods are.
If an item doesn't have a noticeable level restriction, then you can wear it regardless of level.

However, usually items without level restrictions are rewarded by activities that have level restrictions, like quests.
The 522 staff is usually better than the 496 staff.

Fixed that for you.
OK. thanks, all.
Keep in mind, a 522 agility staff will help you out far less than any staff with Intellect.

If the gear is statted properly for your class, and you are not trying to severely min/max, higher item level = better 99% of the time.