What WoD needs to bring back "feel"

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 18 Next
Sorry, but the majority of this "adventure feel" you speak of is owed to the fact that WoW was new to you then.

Frankly, the game really hasn't changed THAT much from its roots. The stuff that made you pull your hair out is gone...and I'd be truly SHOCKED if you actually thought that the annoying tedium made the game feel more like an expansive adventure.
That isn't true Arcanian, I was finding adventure in every turn from my early closed beta days, right up until the opening of the Dark Portal. I feel a lot of had to do with risk vs reward, i.e. no flying mounts.
03/03/2014 03:55 PMPosted by Buffwisp
Bump. Read it man, worthwhile.

Interesting read, Buff. I'm not sure that I agree with your conclusions, but that was a nice, even-handed analysis.

Edit: No need to bump
Good read, thanks for posting. Although I don't agree 100% I still liked the points you bought up.
03/03/2014 03:55 PMPosted by Buffwisp
Bump. Read it man, worthwhile.

AHAHHAA NO
Daxxarri, if we can just buff brain chemistry we'd get that special feel back. Have the developers looked into it?
03/03/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Buffwisp
I can think of a lot more but I'd like your input too

TLDR
The only thing I want is for CRZ to go away. I'm tired of people server hopping to poach resources from other servers and start fights that they can bail out on. CRZ has removed all consequences from world PVP and makes endless griefing way too easy.
03/03/2014 04:29 PMPosted by Aspero
I read it all and I agree it's a good read.

Indeed very well written and many fine points
I don't agree with most of that, but good post all the same.
In my opinion, all the TL;DR shoutouts are a good example of how the online community works these days. As it seems people don't take the time to read something that exceeds the "Twitter Message Limit".

@OP: For me this is the part I miss the most: being a smalltown community, have the time and the patience to know the people on my server.
03/04/2014 04:16 PMPosted by Judgernaught
03/03/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Buffwisp
I can think of a lot more but I'd like your input too

TLDR

And this is why we can't have nice things.
I've got some confirmation bias at work as a vanilla player myself, but great job!

I don't have much to add but I wanted to congratulate you on a really smartly-constructed and well-constructed set of points.

The only thing I think that needs to be added it that it's way too easy to be a lone wolf these days. I love the accessibility of LFR and easier leveling, but I can't stomach the repetition if it continues to be a solo affair. Server community's not a strong thing anymore and the commitment gap required for a slightly higher iLvl isn't incentivised as well as it could be compared to the "effort" required.

I also don't like gated lockouts. Raid bosses notwithstanding, the only thing that stopped you from doing anything in Vanilla was friend availability (time of night for example) for group content or physical man-hours needed for grinding. I've always preferred these more organic ways of making something "valuable" as opposed to point caps or rep bar factions only advancable through dailies.

Anyway, as stated before that was a great post!
Great read, and potted history of WoW so far. I actually burned out towards the end of BC and skipped WOTLK in its' entirety, picking up again after Cataclysm had been out for a couple of months.

I do feel that the crafting model in Cataclysm (buy recipes with reagents) was superior to the current discovery mechanic. It handed a better sense of direction to the player in terms of being able to pick and choose what they wanted to learn, rather than the lucky dip scenario we have now.
I really wish leveling was fixed :l

It is absolutely terrible right now..

Especially the WPvP aspect (Yes i know PvP server blah blah, that is besides the point)
1) Leveling is way too fast/There are way too many levels
2) Leveling is sooo easy and fast that is it is terribly boring... literally can walk around one just about spamming one key and leveling up every 15-30 mins 1-70 :l
3) Progression has been messed up since Cataclysm... (Cataclysm-> TBC -> WotLK -> Cata-> MoP? O.o)
4) All of your spells and abilities are really unbalanced, (healing is ridiculously strong)..And then you also get all your main/good moves at low levels it seems on most classes..
5) I feel a new player would feel discouraged to want to even level like this truthfully..
Final comment: Leveling is the basics and 50% of all MMORPG's and it should be cared about just as much as other content.

Disclaimer: Above is all opinions(obviously)!...except leveling being way too easy/fast