Archaeology: So You Think You Can Dig?

Professions
Prev 1 24 25 26 Next
so i'm at 56 dwarf solves, i have the 3 rare items bringing my total to 59
just waiting on the staff... and waiting and waiting

also the sword would be nice too but at 86 solves it looks like i'll pick up the mace from magmaw for my dk first
This prof makes me sad :(
As a prot pally, there's nothing of value for me in the rare and above items.

I level Arch just for the mounts and pets and just to say I have 525.

There's absolutely no value to this profession after which, other than a cure for insomnia.

I'm 525 in all my other professions and NONE of them gave me as little satisfaction to level as a WoW player as this one does.

I can't wait to grind out 525 and be done with this lame profession, 'achievements' be damned.
so basicly where spending hrs of time lvling hopeing to get a rare 2h sword drop that has a 1% drop rate nice there goes my life
well technically there's a few epics but yes low drop rate high farm time, completely random

i wouldn't suggest this for ANY casual player and anyone that raids at all will be better off spending their time getting ready and running raids
As a prot pally, there's nothing of value for me in the rare and above items.

I level Arch just for the mounts and pets and just to say I have 525.

There's absolutely no value to this profession after which, other than a cure for insomnia.

I'm 525 in all my other professions and NONE of them gave me as little satisfaction to level as a WoW player as this one does.

I can't wait to grind out 525 and be done with this lame profession, 'achievements' be damned.

You have no alts? All the epics are BoA so you can mail them to an alt.
The main upsetting factor in this profession is the RNG. Blizzard should understand that its upsetting for a player that is sitting at 300 solves, and no idea how many more to go in order to get the item he/she really wants.

Blizzard did make adjustments to Archeology by increasing the Artifacts per dig, however that is hardly sufficient to fix the issue with this profession.

Simple resolution for this would be by increasing the chance you get a rare if you have 100 solves then 200, 300 for that particular race. If you are sitting at 250 and you still don't have the item, you basically did put in the effort and time to get this item and like with any profession in the game this effort should be rewarded with the item you were going for.

Overall I rate Archeology at 2 of 10. Boring, frustrating and waste of time. The only reason i give it 2 is because at the beginning I did enjoy to fly around and see all the changes that were made in Cataclysm.
I'll second that. After flying around for 6 weeks doing Archaeology, what do I have to show for it? One mount and a bunch of "rare" finds of which I could care less. I really have no need for friendly little scarabs, listening to that dopey laugh after hearthing or that ugly dress. Or the other 500+ pieces of junk.

Kind of high on the lame factor.
I both like and hate this prof. Eversince I got the adorable Fossilized Hatchling, I was obsessed on flying to every Fossil site I could find to hopefully "unlock" the Fossilized Raptor I've seen a few people running around on.

But I grow tired flying back and forth between digsites that just suddenly appear out of nowhere. I go in, and start working on every digsite I see like a line, starting from the south, and when I get to the northern areas, a few southern digsites pop up.

If that isn't bad enough, a digsite I know I was at before becomes available again, and I'm miles away from it.
The prof is profitable, which to me gives another reason of flying around in the dark. All of the junk I get nets me 1g each, so that's not bad at all.

Due to my.. obsession of trying to find the raptor, I ran out of Fossil digsites. All I got now is Troll, and Night Elf. Do they reset, like dailies?
you have to finish a dig site then a new one pops up
Oh. Well that's good to know. Was afraid that you could only collect so many fragments per day.
I have 412 total solves, 161 troll and no sword, 108 dwarf and no staff. I've completed 12 rares, most of them useless vanity items. RNG hates alot of us it seems.
If that isn't bad enough, a digsite I know I was at before becomes available again, and I'm miles away from it.
The prof is profitable, which to me gives another reason of flying around in the dark. All of the junk I get nets me 1g each, so that's not bad at all.

Relatively speaking, archaeology is most of the time not at all lucrative. There are times, however, where archaeology can pay off (300g commons) but on the average it doesn't quite compare to other more lucrative professions. Sigh. At least we get some gold.
My opion on fixing archaeology is to increase the chances of solving an item that has a greater value to sell it for. The amount time put in to this profession should be ajusted to make it worth it. If you solve 20 items and only two are worth 20 gold, one is worth 5 gold and the rest are worth one, why bother searching for the epic items.

If out of 20 items solved you were able to make 100-150 gold, it would make the time spent traveling to digsites worth it. There are only several items that make it worth it at all, the Silver Scroll Case, Ring of Zoe to name a few, but the rate of getting them is not worth the time devoted to this proffession.

I have over 750 solved items, 20 rares and still no sword. Go figure.
sooooo... is there any news on Bliz making this profession a little less soul destroying?

100's of solves and no epic procs for the majority of the disheartened community.. people just plain giving up because of the triple nested RNG doom puddle and the luck fairy obviously AFK?

Or are we all just meant to bend over and.. err.. take it.... and if you want the sword, staff or dolly, you will darn well like it too.

Such is the nature of the RNG system. Given this system you really can't expect to get something that you want with complete certainty. You may or may not get it.
04/08/2011 11:13 PMPosted by Ashenbow
I have over 750 solved items, 20 rares and still no sword. Go figure.

Now I don't feel quite so bad having only 400+ solved items and still after 4 rares for the Professor Title!
Is it just my bad luck though or is anyone else finding the same items over and over? After another 3 hour stint last nite 4 of my solves had the same thing in the book for the second and third time consecutively. This is really annoying especially when they only sell for 5g to 10g. I guess Blizzard just knows how to push our buttons!
does anyone know why they implemented the 200 cap on fragments, were they getting a better chance at the items?