Suggestion: [Veteran of the Shifting Sands]

Achievements
1 2 3 21 Next
THIS IS AN OLD THREAD (originally posted December 2, 2010)

Warning: minor spoilers

I have a suggestion regarding the achievement [Veteran of the Shifting Sands] that would make me, and a lot of other players, very happy if it were implemented.

I propose that the criteria for the achievement be changed to "Obtained the Scepter of the Shifting Sands".

This Feat of Strength should be awarded to any player who obtained the Scepter of the Shifting sands. "Treasure of the Timeless One" is just a "thank you" dialogue quest, and in my opinion, should not be a requirement for this achievement.

The climax of the quest chain (and hence, the Feat of Strength) should be when the player finally succeeds in reconstructing the ancient Scepter, not when they listen to 2 lines of dialogue with an inconsequential character standing beside the gong.

I completed the entire quest chain, EXCEPT that I deliberately avoided turning in the final quest, "Treasure of the Timeless One".

There were two reasons I chose not to turn the quest in: Firstly, I was unaware that I would later be awarded a Feat of Strength if I did. I visit the WoW forums and MMO-champion.com every single day, and yet I still managed to miss any announcement that this FoS was being added to the game. Secondly, I thought the Scepter might be removed from my inventory if I turned in "Treasure of the Timeless One". I wanted to keep the Scepter as a memento of this truly epic quest chain.

After recovering the three shards of the Scepter, you must speak with Anachronos who then reconstructs the Scepter of the Shifting Sands, and he gives it to you after speaking with him again. After this, the only thing left to do is to speak with Jonathan the Revelator to complete "Treasure of the Timeless One".

Peronally, I feel a little bit cheated. I completed the entire quest chain just like everyone else, but I was not awarded a Feat of Strength simply because I chose not to talk to Jonathan. I have the Scepter in my inventory as proof. The Scepter of the Shifting Sands saga is my favourite quest chain in all of World of Warcraft, and it would really mean a lot to me if I was given due credit for having completed it.

Thoughts and comments are welcome. I would really appreciate a response from a Blizzard representative regarding this suggestion. Thank you!
I fished up the Sea Turtle, but i deliberately chose not to loot it for some unknown trivial reason.

I propose I be awarded the achievement anyways.
I fished up the Sea Turtle, but i deliberately chose not to loot it for some unknown trivial reason.

I'm going to choose to ignore your passive-aggressive attitude.

Fishing up a Sea Turtle is something that can be done again and again if you fail to loot it. This is completely different from being given credit for completing a quest which is no longer obtainable. Your comparison is poor.
Why'd they take such an epic quest chain out of the game that explains the whole scene behind AQ40 is beyond me? I mean that's part of Lore and stuff why wouldn't you want to keep something like that in the game....
You could have done the research yourself and found out that you keep the Scepter after turning in Treasure. I did the same thing you did for a long time until I read some comments on Wowhead I think it was that said you don't lose the Scepter by turning in the quest.
You could have done the research yourself and found out that you keep the Scepter after turning in Treasure. I did the same thing you did for a long time until I read some comments on Wowhead I think it was that said you don't lose the Scepter by turning in the quest.

True, but that's beside the point.

My point is, this Feat of Strength should be awarded to anyone who obtained the Scepter of the Shifting Sands, not only to players who walked over to Silithus and clicked on an NPC a couple of times after getting the Scepter.

"Treasure of the Timeless One" is simply the NPC saying "thank-you", and it should not be a requirement for this achievement.
I disagree. YOU did not do enough reading to see that it was changed. It was announced over a MONTH before it went live. If you missed out then to be honest that is your own bad luck. I suspect you were keeping the scepter in the vain hope that the AQ gates would bug out for you and you got caught with your pants down.

As it stands, I do not think you are deserving of the Feat of Strength as you did NOT keep in the loop about it. There was a thread on the old WoW forums that kept track of the status of the Feat of Strength and was almost always on the first page.

Oh and by the way, since you did NOT turn in Treasure of the Timeless One you did NOT complete the quest chain.

All I can say to you is tough luck.
I agree with the OP, though I don't think he was really "cheated." Who cares if he was holding out in an attempt to get black scarab? He still did all of the quest line and regardless or not if he did the final quest, he has the scepter, which the entire chain is all about.

To be honest, the whole 'every poster attacking OP' thing made me lean more towards him then against him. Lighten up.. A player shouldn't have to do research in order to miss out on once in a life time rewards. I suppose Blizzard had a reason to do it this way, but if this was simply an oversight then I say fix it in the future.

P.S., Hamburgerqt, I DON'T think that capitalizing words HELPS get your point across. I find that it ACTUALLY makes you seem POMPOUS and PATRONIZING.

I'm going to choose to ignore your passive-aggressive attitude.
Why? It's literally the exact same thing. It's your fault for not completing the quest.
Thanks Breakfast! Honestly I'm surprised I'm being met with so much hostility. I figured there would be a lot of people who would like this idea. It's not like any harm would come if my suggestion were implemented.

Allow me to give an example to support my argument: the Shadowmourne quest chain.

Just like the Scepter of the Shifting Sands, obtaining Shadowmourne requires the player to progress through an extensive series of quests. However, unlike the Scepter, the achievement related to this quest chain is given after attaining Shadowmourne itself, NOT after completing the final quest.

Just like the Scepter quest chain, players who obtain Shadowmourne are given a final quest AFTER obtaining the weapon, in this case "The Lich King's Last Stand". However, the wielder of Shadowmourne is not required to complete this quest to obtain his/her Feat of Strength.
The Shadowmourne FOS reads "obtain shadowmourne" not "complete the shadowmourne questline up to and including The lich king's last stand".

Read what the Shifting sands FOS says.

You didn't finish treasure of the timeless one, thus you did not finish the quest chain. Sucks, but that's all there is to it.
The Shadowmourne FOS reads "obtain shadowmourne" not "complete the shadowmourne questline up to and including The lich king's last stand".

Read what the Shifting sands FOS says.

You didn't finish treasure of the timeless one, thus you did not finish the quest chain. Sucks, but that's all there is to it.

/facepalm

You didn't even read my suggestion. I'm saying they should change the Feat of Strength to read "Obtained the Scepter of the Shifting Sands".
I disagree. YOU did not do enough reading to see that it was changed. It was announced over a MONTH before it went live. If you missed out then to be honest that is your own bad luck. I suspect you were keeping the scepter in the vain hope that the AQ gates would bug out for you and you got caught with your pants down.

As it stands, I do not think you are deserving of the Feat of Strength as you did NOT keep in the loop about it. There was a thread on the old WoW forums that kept track of the status of the Feat of Strength and was almost always on the first page.

Oh and by the way, since you did NOT turn in Treasure of the Timeless One you did NOT complete the quest chain.

All I can say to you is tough luck.

Ok....this logic is completely flawed stating that in order to complete something IN GAME that you are required to research it OUT OF GAME.

The biggest reason that a lot of people never completed the last quest (Treasure of the Timeless Ones) is because after you complete Might of Kalimdor, the next quest was Bang a Gong (which was removed from the game). After you completed Bang a Gong, you were directed to Treasure of the Timeless Ones.

There should be no reason that in order to complete something IN GAME you have to go OUT OF GAME to find out how. Every other part of the quest was able to be completed in game without resorting to reading Wowhead, forums, google, etc.

That's where the flaw lies. I am sure there are a LOT of people in the same boat as the OP where they did not realize that after you received the Scepter of the Shifting Sands there was an additional quest to complete.

There should be no reason that in order to complete something IN GAME you have to go OUT OF GAME to find out how. Every other part of the quest was able to be completed in game without resorting to reading Wowhead, forums, google, etc.

That's where the flaw lies. I am sure there are a LOT of people in the same boat as the OP where they did not realize that after you received the Scepter of the Shifting Sands there was an additional quest to complete.

I'm pretty sure your argument is completely flawed since you have to look out of game for any feat of strength since they aren't listed in game until you earn them.
I'm in the same situation. I did research Bang A Gong and read that it was removed. I didn't realize that there was a final quest and would certainly have done it. I think Blizz should reinstate the final quest. The disconnect was theirs, not the players'. This quest line took months of work and I believe anyone with the Scepter has earned the Feat of Strength.
I support this. I'm actually pretty sure I actually turned in the last quest and vendored the quest reward back in June of this year (if I knew it was going to be a feat I would have kept the reward as proof had it been done), when I ticketed it they said I needed to do Bang a Gong and the Timeless One to have gotten it (which in itself is flawed as the first has been unavailable for some time) Either way I put the work into it like yourself and should have a FOS for it. Scepter is still in my bag.

And yeah, with the gong quest removed it doesn't tell you about the other quest.
I got my FOS and agree that the final quest shouldn't be part of it. I said this in another thread, but I'm not sure what happened to it.

The final quest has nothing leading the player to it, assuming the gates have already been open. Once you get your scepter, that appears to be it. No one in game tells you to go see Jonathan to get a little thank you quest. The only way to know about the quest is to happen on it while running to AQ (assuming you track low level quests) or to have looked it up somewhere online. I almost didn't do it, but a friend asked which reward I picked which reminded me of the quest.

TLDR: It's silly to have a quest required for a quest chain that has no breadcrumbs to it and doesn't really add to the difficulty of the chain.

I'm pretty sure your argument is completely flawed since you have to look out of game for any feat of strength since they aren't listed in game until you earn them.

As flawed as I'm sure you're argument is biased since it's obvious you have a mentality of "I have it and I don't want anyone else to"

It's a FoS get over it, having it makes you no better, and no worse. People wont look at you and say "Wow he has the scepter of the shifting sands, he must be amazing".
I too am flustrated. I completed Sceptor of the shifting sands. I worked very hard for 2 months before this last patch knowing this was being removed from the game so I could get the FoS. With the "Bang A Gong" quest being removed I did not know I was to run out to Aq and magically find a NPC to say "Thank YOU". A guildie and I worked every free minute we had from RL and normal game play on this Epic Quest line. We even ended up buyingvsome of ingots at 1k per cuz we were running out of time and could not find ppl to help farm BWL any more. Once we got the sceptor we too, thought we were finished. The flustration lies in the fact that some of us that really play the game, and dig into the content that most players never even fathom, are not rewared for the efforts, time and hard work. I love my "nerd" points and I have seen and experinced some of the great ideas game play used to be and failed on a FoS cuz in game, it was not made avaible to me there was one more quest I needed to do. Do you really think I would not have done that after spending all the time I did on the quest line? Please, please help those of who really tired!
The FoS is for completing the quest chain.
You did not complete the quest chain as you did not complete at final quest in the chain.
Therefore you did not earn the FoS.