No Flying in WOD, terrible

General Discussion
1 2 3 126 Next
One of the interesting things about small group dynamics is how really terrible ideas gain traction and come to fruition. Having played in Vanilla without flying mounts then flying in all the subsequent expansions, flying is better then not.

The powers that be may believe this to be an enhancement for the game, it isn't. It is an ill conceived idea brought to you by the same brain trust that brought us Pandas and the loss of 2 million subscribers. Scrap it, let us fly.
No flying was why I didn't play WoW to begin with.
It's only in the new areas. There is no difference than any other past expansions.
You cannot fly at the beginning of expansions (cata being the one exception).
I'm sure we will all live.
03/13/2014 08:39 AMPosted by Somaliu
It's only in the new areas. There is no difference than any other past expansions.

From MMO Champion, "You won't be allowed to fly in Draenor at release, and the devs want to see how players react to this."

That is not the same as past expansions.
Since flying was introduced the "mantra" has been "no flying in new content". Once you reach a goal (level cap) you can get flying in that new content. With Cata as the lone exception (because of design direction) this has held true with ever xpac. This is not a change. The only "difference" (if one wishes to call it that) is that we've been told they intend to allow flying back only after the 6.1 patch hits (about 3-4 months).

Beyond that there is only rumor, propoganda, speculation and demagoguery. They're going to release the xpac w/o flying (per usual) and see how it pans out from there. They might allow it early as easily as they might delay it more. We have to wait and see.

Our "feedback" is important to them... but keep it calm. Flying off the handle is counterproductive.
The beta isn't even open yet. Let's see how things turn out, before we make our judgment call.
When flying was introduced in BC, it was restricted to LV70 players. I was OK with that.

In Wrath, at least the first time through, there was no flying until LV78. I was also OK with that.

Cataclysm was the combo-breaker, in that basically all of the content was within Azeroth, which they'd just reworked to open it up to flying ... but I was also OK with that, too.

Mists went back to the playbook of the first two expansions, no flying till cap, and that's still super-cool by me.

I have no problem with pounding the ground until 100, or even until the first major content patch. But after that, I'd like to be able to fly around in the "old new" areas of Draenor.
03/13/2014 08:42 AMPosted by Reesi
The beta isn't even open yet. Let's see how things turn out, before we make our judgment call.

That doesn't really work when people have already payed for WoD. They bought their expansions with certain expectations in mind.

Then again I guess that's what you get for buying a game months before it's done.
These boots are made for walking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

(Standard wow answer from now on.)
There is no difference than any other past expansions.

It actually is very different...

TBC - Flight right when you hit level cap (68 for druids)
Wrath - Flight at 78. (later 68 for alts)
Cata - Flight from day one
MoP - Flight at max level.
WoD - No flight at or before max level unlike every other x-pac.

That is why some people are not liking it.
03/13/2014 08:41 AMPosted by Durkarrgghh

From MMO Champion, "You won't be allowed to fly in Draenor at release, and the devs want to see how players react to this."

That is not the same as past expansions.

Yep and sadly I'll be on the sidelines I reckon. This is on my laundry list of unfun content being released in WoD.

Proving gounds 108 pages of loud discussion
Triage healing - really? 60% is the new 100% meh
more expensive - 10 more dollars for the expansion which is really just icing money for the developers
no flying - maybe 6.never
December 22 2014, basically January 2015 before new content? 9 months. I can actually see this as the beta has not been released yet.

I am no insider but I wonder who is running the show. Why the sudden wishy-washy over flying?
6.1 and done. I really thought that was an alright plan. Not a big fan but something I could look forward to. Do they not have these things locked down and in the production stages?

If your not going to do it then say so don't lead me on and then yank the rug. I can guarantee you that will not end well.
03/13/2014 08:58 AMPosted by Lonebull
no flying - maybe 6.never

I am so stealing this and not giving you credit :P
03/13/2014 08:48 AMPosted by Machineman
Don't worry, they will not remove flying permanently.
I keep saying this, too, but it's like the "Vanilla Server" crowd... they get the bit in their teeth and just will not let go no matter how much you tell them.

Kinda sad, really.
03/13/2014 08:54 AMPosted by Solaru

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As long as the enemies are grouped out better than they were in Pandaria, I'm fine with this.
03/13/2014 08:54 AMPosted by Solaru

I think no flying works well in certain zones, but not all.

Personally, I don't like flying. Then again, I don't care if there is a choice to fly.
03/13/2014 08:58 AMPosted by Lonebull
December 22 2014, basically January 2015 before new content? 9 months. I can actually see this as the beta has not been released yet.
Another use of distorted data to try proving a point. They said fall of the year, "on or before 12/10/2014.

1. Your date is wrong.
2. On or before means that's the latest date. It could also be the earliest date, 09/22/2014 (first day of autumn). That cuts 3 to 4 months off your 9 month projection.

+1 for Demagoguery