No Flying in WOD, terrible

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 126 Next
03/13/2014 11:39 AMPosted by Pretzles
03/13/2014 11:32 AMPosted by Dot

I KNOW, LETS JUST ATTRACT A WHOLE NEW GENERATION OF YOUNG GAMERS TO A 10 YEAR OLD GAME INSTEAD OF RETAINING THE MILLIONS OF GAMERS WE ALREADY HAVE...

They tried to cater to the young gamer who grew up, got jobs and had Kids ... it's why we have Pandaren. That went well! 12 Million subs in 2010 to 7.6 in 2013! Your rational is awesome as well as everyone else qqing in this thread.

Attracting a new audience?!?! Gasp ... no that's bad. Especially young kids who have nothing else to do but play games all day. Nope, don't want them.

of course i have nothing but my own opinions, but i do believe there is some truth to the belief that younger kids just now beginning to play this game in substantial numbers is pretty unlikely. that isn't to say no effort should be expended by blizzard toward attracting new subscribers, but the graphics on this game are pretty horrendously dated, especially to someone very young who has never seen the game before.
03/13/2014 11:31 AMPosted by Wyzo
Three tweets and an interview, Alex Afrasiabi has made it pretty clear he wants no flying at all in WoD, and he is the creative director of the team that will produce WoD.

No misinterpretation at all.
At ship date not "at all", and the tweet can be easily misinterpreted, it could come early it could come late but no flight isn't a detriment to the rest of the content when there's plenty to do. It'll add that sense of danger again, encourage exploration and maybe even *gasp* make people talk to one another and group up for quests again. Don't get me wrong mate I like flying but I can live without it for a while if need be flight is just a tool of convenience.Plus I doubt Blizzard would make a flying mount for the CE if flying was going away for good in the new zone, even Neth said it wasn't set in stone no matter whose in charge that they would view how the beta goes and how launch goes and will listen to the feedback given and a blue post can be pretty damn reliable. instead of getting upset over something so small, try to get into beta and leave your feedback about flight simple as that. Tweets are not the be all and end all.
Three tweets and an interview, Alex Afrasiabi has made it pretty clear he wants no flying at all in WoD, and he is the creative director of the team that will produce WoD.No misinterpretation at all.

And yet there have been no clear statements posted on the WoW forums by this guy what so ever.
Or even on the main Blizzard website Battle.net . What gives with that crap ?
Geesh,,I feel like GC is still in charge.

Yes, I bought the pre order. And I expect that when my toons hit level cap ( I level slowly) I will be able to pay their gold fee's for flight in WoD. If not, then I will close out my last 3 accounts. No IF"s And's or But's about it.
As i said before, i strongly approve no flying mounts. Thanks.
03/13/2014 11:29 AMPosted by Jakx

The world is more immersing whilst on the ground. The devs can bring back some inherent danger to the world. I for one have wished for this day since TBC release. The game I fell in love with was without flying mount easymode. Lets bring that back.

I felt just as immersed while flying around. The epic heights, seeing the world from a new perspective. Swooping in to deliver justice and pain all at the same time.
Oh, but because you don't feel immersed it should be taken out of the game altogether. Yeah, sure. That's totally fair.

Man, I'm tired of people telling others how they should enjoy the game.
03/13/2014 11:39 AMPosted by Pretzles
03/13/2014 11:32 AMPosted by Dot

I KNOW, LETS JUST ATTRACT A WHOLE NEW GENERATION OF YOUNG GAMERS TO A 10 YEAR OLD GAME INSTEAD OF RETAINING THE MILLIONS OF GAMERS WE ALREADY HAVE...

They tried to cater to the young gamer who grew up, got jobs and had Kids ... it's why we have Pandaren. That went well! 12 Million subs in 2010 to 7.6 in 2013! Your rational is awesome as well as everyone else qqing in this thread.

Attracting a new audience?!?! Gasp ... no that's bad. Especially young kids who have nothing else to do but play games all day. Nope, don't want them.

If Blizzard wants to bring in young gamers, they have to go F2P.
ok my bad I just saw that I stand corrected and I totally agree that its really !@#$ing stupid to let people pay real money for mounts that fly in game and them make them totally unuseable in the new expansion reguardless of how they plan to go about this. IF they were going to go this route then what was the point in changing the whole world to allow flying just to take it away again. ill do this ill try out the beta and depending on how it plays I might stay but if they take out flying altogether ill unsub
03/13/2014 11:45 AMPosted by Darkmalyce
Three tweets and an interview, Alex Afrasiabi has made it pretty clear he wants no flying at all in WoD, and he is the creative director of the team that will produce WoD.

No misinterpretation at all.
At ship date not "at all", and the tweet can be easily misinterpreted, it could come early it could come late but no flight isn't a detriment to the rest of the content when there's plenty to do. It'll add that sense of danger again, encourage exploration and maybe even *gasp* make people talk to one another and group up for quests again. Don't get me wrong mate I like flying but I can live without it for a while if need be flight is just a tool of convenience.Plus I doubt Blizzard would make a flying mount for the CE if flying was going away for good in the new zone, even Neth said it wasn't set in stone no matter whose in charge that they would view how the beta goes and how launch goes and will listen to the feedback given and a blue post can be pretty damn reliable. instead of getting upset over something so small, try to get into beta and leave your feedback about flight simple as that. Tweets are not the be all and end all.

Go listen to the interview.
03/13/2014 10:41 AMPosted by Lissanna
03/13/2014 10:34 AMPosted by Killgraft
I love the idea of no flying until 6.1, and hope very much so that the whispers I've heard about no flying at all in Dreanor are really being considered.

Vanilla was out, I had endless time to do whatever I wanted. I was single. My work and school responsibilities weren't very demanding. I was basically a kid that had just graduated from undergrad.

I'm now a married woman with a PhD and a work schedule that is much crazier than what I started with.

I just don't have the same time to sit around and wait to get to the content I want to be doing in the game. I don't have 20 minutes to spend on a single flight path between zones. I don't have half an hour to travel from a major city to a raid dungeon. I need to just get to the content I'm going to be doing so I have time to actually play in that content.

I need to get to my garrison quickly or I don't have any time to actually do anything once I do get in my garrison. Taking half an hour to get to a raid dungeon means I can't play in my garrison before raid time because I'm spending that half hour traveling instead of playing the game.

Quitting my 50 to 60 hour a week job to stay home and play WOW just so that travel can be more inconvenient seems like a terrible solution to the problem of travel time. Instead, WOW needs to stay convenient enough that the people who are now 10 years older than we were when we started playing this game can still fit the game into our increasingly more busy lives. WOW needs to grow up with the people who have aged 10 years. I don't have 6 hours every day that I can spend plugged into this game. Instead, my 6 hour per day (every day) window has shrunk down to 1 to 4 hours per day on an average week. With 3 days being devoted to 3 hour raid blocks, on raid days, I only get an hour or less to do everything else I need to do that day. On non-raid days, I don't even necessarily get that full 4 hours, but may only spend 30 minutes or 1 hour on really busy non-raid days. If I only have an hour of play time and I know that it takes me 20 minutes to travel where I need to go, I'll just not bother logging in at all.

If WOW doesn't actually want to fit into people's busy lives, then it's going to impact the number of people with busy lives who bother trying to play the game after a while. That's part of why the Golden Lotus dailies failed so terribly for a chunk of the player base - they demanded so much time that a portion of the player base couldn't keep up with the number of hours demanded on their time. Time is a limited resource in our everyday lives for most of the people playing this game. People with busy lives who have dedicated 10 years of our life to this game want the game to keep up with the fact that their core players who have been playing since day 1 are now 10 years older and have less free time.

MMO's are supposed to be a timesink. I'm a lot busier these days, too, but I would still like to see things take longer in WoW.

That being said, flight paths will still be a thing, so there's no reason to think you'll have 30-minute travel times.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I hate that Blizzard isn't allowing flying in Draenor.
03/13/2014 11:41 AMPosted by Kashina
If we are unable to ever fly in WoD I will be unreasonably angry. I LOVE flying. It may seem a small thing, but it is honestly one of my favorite parts of the game. When I'm feeling stressed out in real life I will sometimes just fly around and explore new areas. I have done far more exploring out in the world while flying than I ever have when confined to a ground mount, because when I'm exploring I want to be able to choose whether or not to engage in combat. If I'm forced to walk I'm just not going to bother because it's slow and frustrating.

However, sometimes I do decide to see things from the ground, because I can tell that it will look pretty/epic/awesome from that perspective. The thing is, I get to CHOOSE to do so. All the people who complain about how they'd rather experience things from the ground are free to choose to do so as well. No one is forcing them to fly, so why do they want to force me to walk?

I've paid tens of thousands of gold for flying across all my characters. I've jumped through all your "no-flying-allowed-here" hoops, and I have gritted my teeth and hated every moment of it. It makes no sense that my Druid would suddenly forget how to fly.

I doubt that this, on it's own, would be enough to make me stop playing. (It's more likely that changes to the raiding scene would drive me away. However, if I were to "go casual" the lack of flying might be a factor in whether I stay or not.) But Blizz should not assume that just because I'm paying my sub that means I'm ok with this decision.

I agree with this. I've paid tons of gold into flying on all my characters, and now it's being taken away for a reason that doesn't even make any sense. I can understand no flying before level cap, but no flying at level cap is just stupid. All these mounts that can only fly from achievement rewards, faction rewards etc. are now completely useless. Wasted time. Not to mention that now I won't even bother exploring the new continent until flying is out, IF it comes out. All this is really going to do is make it take much longer than necessary for people to get to level 100, and then make people want to stay holed up inside a capital because it just takes too long to get anywhere in Draenor. I don't know about you, but that sounds a lot like Cataclysm to me, and I thought Blizzard was against people just sitting inside Org all day back then. Wonder what happened, now it seems like they're pushing for that again.
03/13/2014 11:28 AMPosted by Machineman
I don't think it's fair that you ask and expect the game to accommodate your lifestyle

Yet the no flyers have no problem pushing their own agenda to accommodate their own lifestyle.

Playing the "Well I have to fly because I'm forced to because it's in the game" card holds as much merit as "I have to do LFR to get the legendary cloak in order to raid flex/normal modes."

Holds no true merit at all because those aren't real thought out arguments.
The people who enjoy flying in the game have no problem letting the people who like ground mounts run through every mob at their heart's content.

The people who hate flying mounts wants everyone else to play on the ground and not do what they enjoy.

That's why I can't take the anti-flying arguments remotely seriously.

< doesnt PvP but still wants this change, even if I was on a PvE server it wouldnt change that.

If you are on a PvP server, you are always PvPing. It's an innate function of your server choice, and a reflection of your values in the game. You saying "Oh, if I played on a PvE server I would feel the same way" means nothing, since you don't. You play on PvP.
I just wanted to take a moment to reiterate that constructive feedback is great –we love it– and also to reemphasize that our goal is not to make it take longer to travel from zone to zone. We're not looking to make things inconvenient or a big time sink, we want to make sure that you're getting where you need to go in as convenient of a way as we possibly can. We said this much at BlizzCon already and that still holds true.

We will do our best to keep everyone as up to date on ongoing developments as we can.
03/13/2014 11:46 AMPosted by Wyzo
Go listen to the interview.
I did. hence why I said at ship, even then if people tweet to him enough and leave feedback in the beta it'll still be there. Hell it'll most likely be in anyways as a company Blizzard knows what works and what doesn't they get enough feedback it goes or gets taken out of game, look at the rep grind in MoP, you can get that gear now by just being friendly instead of having to do mundane dailies. People got the boost from customer feedback, you gotta leave feedback where they can see it and by feedback I mean constructive feedback not an ultimatum.
Many people watch/follow/attended Blizzcon -> Dev team waits until after BlizzCon to announce flying not available until 6.1

Blizzard makes pre-order level 90 boost available -> Many people pre-purchase xpac to get the boost -> Blizz developer announces possible further changes to flying after people have pre-purchased the xpac.

I understand the desire (as a business) to delay undesirable news in hopes that the negativity is buried, but certain WoW Devs needs better training in PR.
03/13/2014 11:32 AMPosted by Murlocholmes

The fact still remains that it takes ages to get anywhere if you don't get to fly. It limits your time to do anything if you have to spend half of it getting from point A to point B. It doesn't make fun, or even intelligent game play. There's no two ways around that, even if I haven't raided this expansion.

I apologized like twice. It was childish, yes.

But for flying; again, if Dreanor is desgined like Pandaria it will take ages to do everything one wants or need to do, and it wouldnt work. If it is designed with this limitation in mind, there's nothing to say things will take that much longer to get done.

I place trust in the people making this game more than I do people in an internet forum.

Apparently I'm slow at typing. Almost another full page in the time it took me to write that last post. And you did indeed apologize. Wouldn't have antagonized more if I'd have read that before posting. But I guess I didn't really have a need to anyway, so way to be a bigger man than I.

They're currently thumbing around the idea of releasing flight with content patches, though. You can fly in 6.0 when 6.1 comes out, fly in 6.1 when 6.2 comes out, etc. If that's the case, that would incline me to assume they're still planning the zones with having flight available at some point.

I can't help but think of how horrible my experiences were in trying to get from place to place early burning crusade before I had epic flying. Mind you, I can't avoid the fact that it seems there's 3-5 flight paths per zone now that used to only have one centralized. If they follow the model that was implemented with Cataclysm, almost every quest hub has a flight path. So I guess it's not going to be all that horrible as far as levelling goes... But that's really not the issue most people are seeming to have.

Being someone who does not raid any more, I really only play this game to mess around. I'll run a few dungeons, queue up for an LFR, couple BGs, or work towards an achievement. Not being able to fly hinders my game play as a casual to the point that it's going to be non existent.

A lot of the time I only have a couple hours to play when I log on. If I have to spend more than a quarter of that time just travelling from place to place, the point of playing has been diminished. I don't want to log on and have it take so long to get somewhere that I end up having to log out before I can do anything. And now I'll need to hope I feel like doing the exact same thing when I log in next time, otherwise it's another endless journey to get from here to there.
03/13/2014 11:48 AMPosted by Nethaera
I just wanted to take a moment to reiterate that constructive feedback is great –we love it– and also to reemphasize that our goal is not to make it take longer to travel from zone to zone. We're not looking to make things inconvenient or a big time sink, we want to make sure that you're getting where you need to go in as convenient of a way as we possibly can. We said this much at BlizzCon already and that still holds true.

We will do our best to keep everyone as up to date on ongoing developments as we can.

Thanks, Hopefully I'll get a refund on my preorder so I can sit out the game from now until release and wait to see if I'll be able to fly at any point in WoD.