No Flying in WOD, terrible

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 126 Next
03/13/2014 08:42 AMPosted by Reesi
The beta isn't even open yet. Let's see how things turn out, before we make our judgment call.

Historically, Blizzard's MO has been that beta is for clean up. If the beta goes into effect with no-flying, then launch will likely be no flying.

Remember there have been dozens of items that have garnered backlash on the beta forums only to be pushed forward over the years.

Waiting until beta is likely too late.
03/13/2014 08:38 AMPosted by Wyzo
No flying was why I didn't play WoW to begin with.

No it wasn't. Unless you simply didn't play MMOs at all because you could not fly in them. Which seems arbitrary at best. "I am not going to play this game because it does not have this thing that none of the other games have, either!"

Flying mounts were not available in any other MMO that I can think of at the time WoW launched them, and still are not available at all in many of the popular MMOs on the market.

Flying mounts were not a thing in single player games either. Now you can fly in Skyrim but not much else I can think of.

So basically, no. :P

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/games/world-of-warcraft-mmorpg/can-learn-mmo-mounts/
Flying kills immersion. There's just no argument... there will be way more wpvp, way more interaction between players and just overall it will bring back that "world" experience. For a game that is pretty much stand in cities all day waiting for que pops I can't possibly see how you would ever think that this would be a bad thing for the way the game is now.

This is what it NEEDS it needs more ideas like this that will keep the players interacting and keep you immersed into the world...that's practically the whole point of an mmo experience.
03/13/2014 08:37 AMPosted by Durkarrgghh
Having played in Vanilla without flying mounts then flying in all the subsequent expansions, flying is better then not.

If I'm not mistaken we couldn't fly in TBC until 70, then slowly nerfed over time. We couldn't fly in WotLK until max level then nerfed over time. We could fly in Cata because the new zones where in the old world. In MoP we can't fly until max level, but has not been nerfed as of yet.

If I'm mistaken correct me, but I'm pretty sure that is right. So it's really no different than any of the other expansions. But then again all the complaints about not being to fly at those times were just many.

edit: removed an extra "about".
03/13/2014 08:54 AMPosted by Solaru
03/13/2014 08:39 AMPosted by Somaliu
There is no difference than any other past expansions.

It actually is very different...

TBC - Flight right when you hit level cap (68 for druids)
Wrath - Flight at 78. (later 68 for alts)
Cata - Flight from day one
MoP - Flight at max level.
WoD - No flight at or before max level unlike every other x-pac.

That is why some people are not liking it.
There are some real dickey-doos that play this game that just want to cheat and gank. I hope they go away. Just another reason why flying is limited.
03/13/2014 08:46 AMPosted by Marilly
These boots are made for walking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

(Standard wow answer from now on.)

Thanks, now I have that song stuck in my head.
03/13/2014 09:11 AMPosted by Bunny
03/13/2014 08:38 AMPosted by Wyzo
No flying was why I didn't play WoW to begin with.

No it wasn't. Unless you simply didn't play MMOs at all because you could not fly in them.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!!

We have a winnner!!!!!!

I've played Fantasy RPGs since they were invented in 1974. Didn't pick up a single MMO until I found out I could fly in WoW (after reaching the correct level).

On Edit: Yeah, I'm 51 years old.
03/13/2014 09:11 AMPosted by Imtavislol
Flying kills immersion. There's just no argument... there will be way more wpvp, way more interaction between players and just overall it will bring back that "world" experience. For a game that is pretty much stand in cities all day waiting for que pops I can't possibly see how you would ever think that this would be a bad thing for the way the game is now.

Flying did not kill world PvP. Anyone who thinks that ground mounts will somehow herald the golden age of world PvP is deluding themselves.

And to me, flying is more immersive, because I get to see the full game world. It was awesome flying through the new zones in Cata and it made me feel like I was in a full world.
03/13/2014 09:16 AMPosted by Tarashan
03/13/2014 09:11 AMPosted by Imtavislol

Flying did not kill world PvP. Anyone who thinks that ground mounts will somehow herald the golden age of world PvP is deluding themselves.

And to me, flying is more immersive, because I get to see the full game world. It was awesome flying through the new zones in Cata and it made me feel like I was in a full world.

I agree. This first thing I did when Cataclysm went live was fly all over the world exploring areas I couldn't reach before and surveying all of the destruction Deathwing caused.
03/13/2014 08:46 AMPosted by Morning
03/13/2014 08:42 AMPosted by Reesi
The beta isn't even open yet. Let's see how things turn out, before we make our judgment call.

That doesn't really work when people have already payed for WoD. They bought their expansions with certain expectations in mind.

Then again I guess that's what you get for buying a game months before it's done.

Except we knew there would be no flying looooong before preorder so your argument is pointless
03/13/2014 08:37 AMPosted by Durkarrgghh
It is an ill conceived idea brought to you by the same brain trust that brought us Pandas and the loss of 2 million subscribers. Scrap it, let us fly.

Im pretty sure the dev teams for MoP and WoD are drastically different.
03/13/2014 09:21 AMPosted by Imdeath
03/13/2014 08:46 AMPosted by Morning

That doesn't really work when people have already payed for WoD. They bought their expansions with certain expectations in mind.

Then again I guess that's what you get for buying a game months before it's done.

Except we knew there would be no flying looooong before preorder so your argument is pointless

We knew it wouldn't be in until 6.1. Now tweets from Blizzard have left some ambivalence as to whether or not flying will happen at all.
03/13/2014 09:13 AMPosted by Kaeilthas
03/13/2014 08:46 AMPosted by Marilly
These boots are made for walking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

(Standard wow answer from now on.)

Thanks, now I have that song stuck in my head.
heheh
Grabs you by the tie and looks you in the eye.
Why don't you come down and see me big boy?
03/13/2014 09:11 AMPosted by Bunny
Flying mounts were not available in any other MMO that I can think of at the time WoW launched them,

CoH had a flying ability that the player could choose as a travel power.

It predated Classic's release of WoW by over a year.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Point of order, we had a blue text stating we'd get flying at first major patch ON THESE FORUMS, so yeah, it was looking similar to every other expac regarding flying before preorder.

This was also what I put in my ticket requesting a refund for my preorder.
03/13/2014 09:21 AMPosted by Leladin
Im pretty sure the dev teams for MoP and WoD are drastically different.

I do not know about "drastically" but GC is gone and Alex Afrasiabi is back to WoW for WoD after working on Titan.
03/13/2014 09:12 AMPosted by Marilly
TBC - Flight right when you hit level cap (68 for druids)

You clearly didn't play TBC if you are inferring you got flight right when you hit the level cap. It took about ten times longer to farm up the gold to get your epic flying (back when normal flying was 60% speed) than it did to level from 60-70. Hell, some people didn't get epic flying until after SWP was released. I remember how nearly riotous the community was when they found out how many thousands of gold it was to train your epic flight skill back then: it's something that if they had introduced for the first time now I am convinced none of the whiners would be able to stop from foaming at the mouth over considering how poorly they take even the slightest changes these days.
03/13/2014 09:23 AMPosted by Xhi
CoH had a flying ability that the player could choose as a travel power.

This- I was playing some City of Heroes during slow periods in vanilla WoW. It was a superhero MMO and player characters got travel powers like "flight" and "super jump." When my druid finally got her flight form in Burning Crusade it was great, and it also reminded me a lot of my character who could fly in CoH. :)
03/13/2014 09:25 AMPosted by Solaru
I do not know about "drastically" but GC is gone and Alex Afrasiabi is back to WoW for WoD after working on Titan.

Most of the team who went on to Titan is back on WoW since they completely scrapped the project and decided not to make it an MMO.