No Flying in WOD, terrible

General Discussion
Prev 1 29 30 31 126 Next
03/13/2014 01:04 PMPosted by Blasco
A way for Blizz to implement dangers, obstacles, and pathways on the ground that aren't made 100% irrelevant by your ability to fly past them? Flying takes away more from the game than it adds.

I don't understand this argument, unless you stop to fight every mob, but most of us just run past them and they chase us for a bit and give up. the only real difference is how long it takes to get from a to b
03/13/2014 01:05 PMPosted by Maneo
I think the way you want to ask it, and what I personally would love a answer to is:

Neth will flight be gated to patch 6.1 or is flight going to be denied in WoD zones?

And the answer they gave is we will wait and see. Neth said in the first blue post in the last sentence that its pretty much going to based on how beta and 6.0 turns out..
I'm looking forward to the expansion and, as long as I'm having fun, I'll continue to pay for my sub. That being said, I plan to minimize my time out in the world at max level as long as flight is disabled. I hate the Timeless Isle in part because I feel like I'm moving through molasses as I try to cross from one end of the isle to the other. I get that it was intentional to space people out but that doesn't change my hatred for it. And if WoD is going to be more of that on a grander scale? Forget it; I'll wait until flight is enabled to explore whatever it is you put out there on my terms, not yours. Until then, I'll be content using the dungeon and raid finder and raiding with my guild.
03/13/2014 01:09 PMPosted by Oarsonie
I think we all know where this is headed. You can have flying at launch for $10 or wait until 6.never

As much as I hate to say it.. I would pay it.
03/13/2014 01:06 PMPosted by Lyralia
And what makes you think that I'll see these "dangers, obstacles, and pathways" if I don't leave my city/garrison? Because I know for sure that I won't leave them until I can fly.

If you don't plan on doing dailies or any form of outdoor content that offers rewards to help advance your character, then that's up to you. But I guarantee you that players will go outdoors and do dailies, flying or no flying.

03/13/2014 01:10 PMPosted by Innardsdecay
I don't understand this argument, unless you stop to fight every mob, but most of us just run past them and they chase us for a bit and give up. the only real difference is how long it takes to get from a to b

Have you tried running past the yaungol in Timeless Isle? You don't have to fight them for them to be relevant to your gameplay. Just the fact that you're compelled to take advantage of roads makes them relevant, even if they don't have the charge mechanic (which some likely will). I don't think their goal is to force you to dismount and kill every single stray wolf from point A to point B. But you may have to find alternate paths around a Gronn or get ambushed by Ogres or whatever other situation the quest puts you in.
I have this feeling that i'm going to see all of you "i'm keeping my money until I can fly" people on launch day regardless of what Blizzard decides to do.
For those who you a new to the party the latest from MMO-Champion, a virtually always reliable news source (except for the Dark Below) had this today

Warlords of Draenor Developer Interviews
There were a few developer interviews at the recent press events, so today we are taking a look at interviews with Alex Afrasiabi from Gameplanet.

Misc

- You won't be allowed to fly in Draenor at release, and the devs want to see how players react to this.
- Afrasiabi also mentions that he thinks it is possible that players could love a world with no flying.

As this information contradicts what we were previously told about flying in 6.1 the many people have already purchased their expansion they would like a statement

The no flying at ship and then we'll see means the flying could be sooner or it could be later, we just want clarification on which
03/13/2014 11:48 AMPosted by Nethaera
I just wanted to take a moment to reiterate that constructive feedback is great –we love it– and also to reemphasize that our goal is not to make it take longer to travel from zone to zone. We're not looking to make things inconvenient or a big time sink, we want to make sure that you're getting where you need to go in as convenient of a way as we possibly can. We said this much at BlizzCon already and that still holds true.

We will do our best to keep everyone as up to date on ongoing developments as we can.

I have a single question to ask in return which should be easy to get answered and will mollify everyone's concerns here:

Will players be able to fly in Draenor after patch 6.1 (or at maximum level) or not?
Flying has and always will be cancer, I hope WoD never sees flying as it also ruined world pvp in Azeroth.

Edit: Make flying mounts a 5 second cast time.
03/13/2014 11:48 AMPosted by Nethaera
I just wanted to take a moment to reiterate that constructive feedback is great –we love it– and also to reemphasize that our goal is not to make it take longer to travel from zone to zone. We're not looking to make things inconvenient or a big time sink, we want to make sure that you're getting where you need to go in as convenient of a way as we possibly can. We said this much at BlizzCon already and that still holds true.

We will do our best to keep everyone as up to date on ongoing developments as we can.
Is there any way you clarify the current hubbub around whether or not flying will be allow at some point in the xpac or removed completely. This is a major uproar at this point and needs a response.

Will WoD have flying at some point? Yes/no.
The current plan for flying is the same as it's always been:

No flying in current content. You will not be able to fly in the new zones in 6.0. At 6.1 launch you will be able to fly in the 6.0 zones but not in the 6.1 zone. At 6.2 launch you can fly in 6.1 zones but not in 6.2 zones.

The tweet from siabi was: "the plan is no flying at ship and see how it plays out" followed by he thinks people could like a world with no flying.

This has been interpreted by doomsayers as "THERE WILL NEVER BE FLYING IN WOD FOR EVER AND EVER AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT LEAVE I HATE YOU ALL YOURE DUMB AND THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME"

When every other person I've talked to has taken this to mean that he is confirming the plan that's been public for month and saying that "I think it's possible to design a world where a lack of flying is not an inherent negative."

Some of you need to really get a grip. If anything the tweet should be making you happy because now it sounds like he's saying there's the possibility that they will make flying available sooner if reaction is negative as opposed to the "Here's what were going to do deal with it" plan that they had before.
03/13/2014 01:09 PMPosted by Oarsonie
I think we all know where this is headed. You can have flying at launch for $10 or wait until 6.never
That has crossed my mind to be honest. It's something I cant believe though
03/13/2014 01:13 PMPosted by Monocle
Flying has and always will be cancer, I hope WoD never sees flying as it also ruined world pvp in Azeroth.

Edit: Make flying mounts a 5 second cast time.

lol thanks. I needed a good laugh.
To people asking for answer on whats to become of flying.. What does this post below tell you.

03/13/2014 09:57 AMPosted by Nethaera
We'll also continue to keep an eye on things not only within beta (when that occurs) but also when we go live to see just how people truly end up playing and interacting.
Not to tin foil hat here but if it were a simple miscommunication why wouldn't they just say so?
Constructive criticism:

After several months away from the game and being okay with it, my IRL friends all decide to get a blizzcon stream this year and they convinced me i should too. maybe the new expansion would be great and we can leave SWTOR or GW2 and go back to wow. So, I bought the stream and saw the plans for WOD.

Honestly, I was excited. But that's the whole point of blizzcon right? it's a giant 3 day commercial All good, i was game and i loved the new art for the races A personal pet peeve of mine was how crappy the old models look. Saw the announced plan for garrison, which I thought was like player housing but it's kind of not but still cool. Garrison tycoon. But still, love it. minions and all.

I'm an artist by trade and i really love blizzard's artistic style so the art panel was AWESOME! Fast forward a few months. I re-subbed, I've bought a ton of micro transactions and services and really doubled down on my commitment. I have found new things to get interested in besides raiding. I love raiding with a group but since that is harder to do now than finding a virgin at prom, i decided to find some new points to carry me on until the expansion and new lands.

So i start pet battling, really love it. (beat little oondasta. that thing is a beast), started collecting new pets and mounts. Especially flying mounts because hey, they are cool and they FLY! Now, I read that flying mounts won't be able to fly until max level. I think to myself "oh well, nothing new. I will have to get another pleasant weather flying license when i hit max because my characters are too dumb to fly in great weather over a new land. No biggie. I'll do it. nothing new."

Then today I read that the thought is that by maybe making it convenient to get from point A to point b without a flying mount that getting rid of flying all together won't be so bad. That you want to put that out there and see how we feel about it during the expansion. Let me state the way I feel now, since later on I will just either re-up my sub or cancel without uttering anything on these flame prone boards.

Bad idea. But here is why:

1) I paid for a flying mount in store. I want it to fly and not just in old content. it would make flying mounts as useful as that seahorse you guys introduced during cata. Something that is in my journal but i only pull out on the odd occasion. The odd occasion being when i hearth or port to stormwind to use the AH. yay. (sad trombone) Does this make me entitled? Yes. But, when you buy something you kind of expect to use it for its intended purpose no? Who buys a car and is happy if the law says you can only use that car on Wednesdays? Umm...no one.

2) Flying mount achievements would mean..nothing. No, using a flying mount in old content or in a capital city would not make it okay. Flying for me is not about convenience. It really isn't. I would venture that for a few players it's the same way. It's about a really cool FLYING mount that lets us soar high and travel far in style. Making it something we could only use in older content would only illustrate that the flying mount has no real purpose at all except for you to get around really fast in places where you don't need to get around really fast. (unless you plan on putting in a really fast pet that you have to chase down and trap. cool idea but still)

3) I like my ground mounts and don't mind isolated places like timeless isle for a while, but honestly, there is a reason i only go there now when I have to on my main. (almost never) it is annoying as hell to ground pound my way through everything there. It really is. I am used to being able to soar! Being on the ground, no matter how nice my ground mount is, sucks.

4) Author's note: the following is highly opinionated and colored with more than a little bitterness towards blizzard. I try to reign it in though. I understand that, as per your usual, if something is hard to fix or work around your first instinct is to just get rid of it. I get that. It's been kind of your modus operandi from day 1. That said, how about you let us keep this eh? Please? You want to keep us grounded until we are at max level? Fine! No problem! I'll buy yet another pleasant weather license again. No problem. But don't take the skies from me.

/end of quasi constructive posting

/start rant

You kind of destroyed guild raiding, 25 man raiding, Spec distinctions in same class. How about you let us keep flying? Thanks.