No Flying in WOD, terrible

General Discussion
Prev 1 34 35 36 126 Next
03/13/2014 01:44 PMPosted by Dawnstríke
03/13/2014 01:42 PMPosted by Killgraft
Do those both have to be opposed ideals?

WoW is convenient enough as it is, a little edge and grind pumped back into the game isnt going to kill it.

That would be the case if no-flying represented "edge and grind" as opposed to simple tedium.

But you dont know how the game may change to support this change into not being a grind fest. No one knows.
03/13/2014 01:47 PMPosted by Leladin
Except you can't "not fly" when the world is designed for you to fly. It forces you to fly or just makes you gimp yourself for no reason if you choose not to. If the world isn't designed to be freely flown through, then you don't have that proble

but you can "not fly" because its old content that you have already completed while leveling with out flight
03/13/2014 01:47 PMPosted by Dawnstríke
According to the developers they are considering not introducing it at all in WoD.

This has never been said by a developer and is the result of people overreacting because they have nothing better to do with their time. Please quote the tweet or clip verbatim that you are referring to, because from what I've read Siabi has never said something that sounds that way at all.
I usually don't get mad at Blizzard, because I'm a software developer and understand how the process works, but a recent tweet by Alex Afrasiabi @Abrosiabi just pissed me off:
plan is no flying at ship and see how it plays out

Alex, I don't know where you've been or what game you've been playing, but MoP had no flying at ship. People didn't get flying until level 90. I suspect that if you look at your data, you'll see that most people bought flying just as soon as they @#$#%!@# could, and no, it wasn't because it was there. It's because flying is better than not flying.

That's also why, IMHO, most people hate leveling alts in Pandaria, and race to get to 90 rather than take their time. They can explore all they want after then hit 90 AND CAN FLY.
03/13/2014 01:45 PMPosted by Kaliya
They're being the biggest hypocrites and tbh it's hilarious

Really? So if someone is for the no-fly zone they should stop flying all together? That's your argument?

>_<
I just want flying disabled in WOD so I can kill low level people on my rogue and stealth away when their level 100 friends or their main logs on. Is that really too much to ask? When they have flying mounts it's harder for me to kill them frequently due to the cooldown on goblin glider and the turtle shell won't work on 100s.
03/13/2014 01:38 PMPosted by Innardsdecay
Pro flying argument: If you don't like it don't do it
Anti flying argument: I don't like flying so no one should be able to do it

I could never understand that anti mentality it's the same with so many other things in life. If you don't agree with it just don't do it. It's not right to take away people choice just because you don't agree with it. I would be willing to bet all of these people saying flying is such a bad thing use it.

I remember when they first released this information, someone from a realm in my CRZ was arguing for the removal of flying. Not long after seeing that post I went to Ironforge and lol wouldn't you know it? They were on their nice flying mount flying around IF.
Seriously guys, if flying is just so bad, then why do you use it? Why did you buy/farm all of those flying mounts? They're being the biggest hypocrites and tbh it's hilarious

For me, I have a variety of flying mounts, but I support Blizzard's decision to disable flight. Not because I hate my mounts and hate using them, but because of how a game designed with flight disabled works and what possible content they can now create using that model.

Obviously if someone hated their mounts they wouldn't use them, but that person may just hate the game model that involves the mounts, rather than the mounts themselves.
I can't stress how much I'm looking forward to no flying in WoD. Gonna be fun.
They're being the biggest hypocrites and tbh it's hilarious

Really? So if someone is for the no-fly zone they should stop flying all together? That's your argument?

>_<

Good job not quoting my whole post. The ones saying flying is bad and then going around on their flying mounts are the ones that are hypocrites.
03/13/2014 01:47 PMPosted by Killgraft
The Anti-flying camp are generally so not because of wanting to rustle your jimmies or for pure nostalgia or to make things take longer for the sake of it, it's because they can see how this could change the dynamic of the game in a way that is not necessarily completely negative.

Which still doesn't remedy the fact their arguments are based on an aggregate of myths and misattributions.

Also your smoking argument makes no sense.

It makes plenty of sense; people complaining about something which is entirely in their power to remedy.
03/13/2014 01:50 PMPosted by Killgraft
But you dont know how the game may change to support this change into not being a grind fest. No one knows.

As they're starting to take people's money specifically for the expansion, maybe they should be a little more forthcoming.
03/13/2014 01:51 PMPosted by Daiyu
I just want flying disabled in WOD so I can kill low level people on my rogue and stealth away when their level 100 friends or their main logs on. Is that really too much to ask? When they have flying mounts it's harder for me to kill them frequently due to the cooldown on goblin glider and the turtle shell won't work on 100s.

Nice Sarcasm, and to your point; How would a lack of flying make ganking more prevelent? If anything, I think it would make ganking harder due to not being able to get away in 2 seconds.
03/13/2014 01:50 PMPosted by Leladin
This has never been said by a developer and is the result of people overreacting because they have nothing better to do with their time. Please quote the tweet or clip verbatim that you are referring to, because from what I've read Siabi has never said something that sounds that way at all.

Please explain to me how "no flying at ship, we'll see how it goes" does not indicate considering the possibility of never introducing flight?
03/13/2014 01:37 PMPosted by Ravenskar
What people don't seem to understand (or don't want to admit) is that Blizzard is disabling flying for a very specific reason.

They can spend way less time and resources developing zones where people can't fly.

The zones will very likely not be "finished" for flying until 6.1 or possibly, as Blizzard likely hopes, never.

It is the only possible reason they want to do this. None of the other stated reasons make the tiniest amount of sense and you don't make game changing decisions that piss off loads of current customers like this for philisophical reasons.

You do it if you don't want to spend the money then hope the PR holds up.

This is been my thinking as well. I've played this game for over 9 years now and the last several years has seen a steady set of changes such as the major stat simplification, the changes to healing, questing areas with no flight and gated content through dailies and they all talk about making the game more exciting for players but what really seems to be the driving force is making the game easier on the developers, reducing the resources needed for content development.

This emphasis on content consumption and resource management coming before great game design is reaching a tipping point. Making Warlords a "no-flight" expansion only makes sense in this context. Something must be terribly wrong with the game development if at this point we're not seeing a beta anywhere on the horizon, it looks like a late fall to winter release, and we're seeing hints thrown out about a "no flying" expansion. For the first time about any expansion, I'm more than a little concerned with what I'm seeing and reading.
03/13/2014 01:52 PMPosted by Kàtarn

I agree. It's going to be really satisfying running down players while on my paladin or DK since those classes have a mounted speed boost bonus and utterly destroying them before making my getaway.
03/13/2014 01:52 PMPosted by Kàtarn

Are you not flying in mop? you know you have that option right now, no need to wait for WoD!
I've been playing a blood elf DK since vanilla beta and I demand something flying mounts at 10000000% flight speed and no ever having to fight mobs. Ever. I am a blood elf dk from vanilla beta, so you should listen to me, Blizz
03/13/2014 01:53 PMPosted by Killgraft
Nice Sarcasm, and to your point; How would a lack of flying make ganking more prevelent? If anything, I think it would make ganking harder due to not being able to get away in 2 seconds.

It's easier to gank people if they are ground bound. At best, it would just even out with no net change to the situation.
03/13/2014 09:57 AMPosted by Nethaera
This is pretty true. You couldn't get flying in Outland until you reached maximum level and bought the skill. Wrath of the Lich King you couldn't fly right away either. The same recently for Mists of Pandaria in which until you reached the maximum level to get the ability to do so. This is not new for an expansion to not allow flying immediately upon entering into a new expansion.

Keep in mind that some of us only came to the game in Cata so Mists seems to have deviated from the norm, not followed it.

The biggest problem I have now is the idea expressed in the interview that this is a test to see if it can stay permanently non-flying. Combine that with meandering flight points that those at Blizzard seemingly can't find and it is a huge step back. How is it a blue can post in this forum to say to let him know where the bad travel points are when they are all over the map? At least fly point to point in as straight a line as possible. None of this touring flight that gets old after the first time.
03/13/2014 01:50 PMPosted by Dawnstríke
You are saying you want extra challenge in the game by not having flight. Then you complain about being more challenged?

What are you even talking about? If the map is designed to be flown through then not flying is just choosing to gimp yourself because there's no reason not to skip over everything. There's no "durr challenge" crap or whatever nonsense you're on about. If the world isn't designed around you being able to fly through and over and see literally 0% of the things that populate it, you're not gimping yourself by not flying because nobody else is either. I don't even know why you're calling me a hypocrite or being overly hostile, you sound mad and I'd suggest taking a step back before you pop a blood vessel or something, you're making your side look like a bunch of whiny !@#$%^-s.

03/13/2014 01:50 PMPosted by Dawnstríke
Leveling content is made trivial by the fact you are at level cap by definition.

You're saying the reason you want flying is because you want to go back and do leveling content once you hit 100? So you'd be fine with flying in the leveling zones but the "98-100" zones you're ok with no flying in, because you won't be "trivializing" those zones at the beginning like you do now where you hit 90 and have instant second raid-tier gear.