No Flying in WOD, terrible

General Discussion
Prev 1 36 37 38 126 Next
03/13/2014 01:56 PMPosted by Killgraft
03/13/2014 01:52 PMPosted by Dawnstríke

Which still doesn't remedy the fact their arguments are based on an aggregate of myths and misattributions.

It makes plenty of sense; people complaining about something which is entirely in their power to remedy.

The pro-flying argument is the same. No one knows how the zones, quests, dailies, and mats are truly being desiged, so to say it will become more of a grind-fest is pure speculation.

Also, I'm not complaining. I'm in the camp that doesnt care either way, but would prefer no flying. I'm not quitting if I dont get "my way", like a majority in the "pro-flying" camp seem to be threatening.

The difference here.. is CHOICE
If you allow flying.. people can choose to ground or fly.
If you remove flying we have no choice.

I just look at it this way.
How many people quit the game because of flying mounts?
Did WoW lose 6 million subs because flying mounts ruined the game? No
So if you start out an XPAC with no flying.. you aren't gaining those 6m back.. you are ailenating the people that already like to fly and then setting yourself up for even MORE LOST SUBS.

Its a RECIPE FOR DISASTER-

Nobody wins...

Game Over
03/13/2014 01:58 PMPosted by Mopfeedback
you aren't flying, I am.

Come WoD, you won't be flying either :)
03/13/2014 02:01 PMPosted by Uplifting
If the bolded part is true why remove flying?

Because it's likely not going to be true, and they're going to promise fixes all throughout the expansion. Either that, or cave in and allow flying within a month of the expansion going live.
03/13/2014 02:01 PMPosted by Uplifting
I just wanted to take a moment to reiterate that constructive feedback is great –we love it– and also to reemphasize that our goal is not to make it take longer to travel from zone to zone. We're not looking to make things inconvenient or a big time sink, we want to make sure that you're getting where you need to go in as convenient of a way as we possibly can. We said this much at BlizzCon already and that still holds true.

We will do our best to keep everyone as up to date on ongoing developments as we can.

If the bolded part is true why remove flying?

I don't have an issue with not being able to fly until max level even if that is still an immersion breaker since I can fly everywhere already I should not have to relearn it every 5-10 levels my issue is with the removal altogether be that until 6.1 or as Alex Afrasiabi says "plan is no flying at ship and see how it plays out.". Which implies you are considering removing flying altogether.

Even this idea of having a long quest chain to regain flying is absurd I already know how to fly! Why should I need to do a quest chain to be able to do something I already can do?
I like how this has turned into anti-flying players vs pro-flying players because 98% of the people in this thread don't know how to argue intellectually without logical fallacies. My schadenfreude is off the scales right now, though, so keep at it.
03/13/2014 02:01 PMPosted by Daiyu
we're not stupid

You are correct. Stupid and lazy, while often used together, are two completely different things.
03/13/2014 02:02 PMPosted by Dawnstríke
03/13/2014 01:59 PMPosted by Cyous
Flying mounts ruined a lot of the adventure and discovery in this game. I miss those little easter eggs the devs put in from time to time. Pop Culture references aside, seeing an orc child beeing chased by bees...or lions in the barrens stalking and pouncing zhevra npcs. Those are cool. And flying over it makes that work go unnoticed--most of the time.

No, absolute bull!@#$ (and also subjective bull%^-*). From my own experience, I have a lot more incentive to explore the game when I can fly around.

Man, you really cant just accept anyone with a differing opinion, can you?
03/13/2014 02:03 PMPosted by Leladin
you aren't flying, I am.

Come WoD, you won't be flying either :)

Why do people act like the minute WoD hits people be falling out of the air in the Vale?

It's a new zone where you can't fly, at first. In this sense it's virtually the same thing as everything else has ever been.
03/13/2014 01:59 PMPosted by Cyous
Flying mounts ruined a lot of the adventure and discovery in this game. I miss those little easter eggs the devs put in from time to time. Pop Culture references aside, seeing an orc child beeing chased by bees...or lions in the barrens stalking and pouncing zhevra npcs. Those are cool. And flying over it makes that work go unnoticed--most of the time.

If flight were only restricted to level cap as it is in Pandaria, you'd still have ten levels to stop and smell the roses.
03/13/2014 02:03 PMPosted by Killgraft
Man, you really cant just accept anyone with a differing opinion, can you?

I cannot accept people who state their personal opinions as though they are fact.

If he had said "flying mounts ruined a lot of the adventure and discovery in the game FOR ME", that would be fine. But instead he stated it as though that was everyone's experience, which it clearly is not.
03/13/2014 02:01 PMPosted by Dawnstríke
I am fine with no flying in zones like IoT because they are condensed and relatively efficient to get around in via ground mounts; however, the flying restriction should be removed after the content ceases the be current.

That's what is likely to happen in WoD, has been the game plan for months, and has not been reasonably communicated as something that's going to change.

Honestly Im more mad at Siabi for even talking about it (Twitter is not the venue to handle such obviously important messages) and then Blizzard sitting with there thumbs up their !@# for 3 days without being clear on the game plan. It sounds like you're fine with the game plan of "no flying in the most current content only" and are looking for an assurance that that is, in fact, the plan. Am I correct?
03/13/2014 01:42 PMPosted by Killgraft
03/13/2014 01:41 PMPosted by Dawnstríke

No, this is a matter of World of Warcraft being a game which is designed to entertain its customers; removing a convenience which has been a part of the game for the majority of its lifespan by this time is contrary to that value.

Do those both have to be opposed ideals?

WoW is convenient enough as it is, a little edge and grind pumped back into the game isnt going to kill it.

I grind my way to level cap so I can fly. Then, I fly to other areas to grind different things.

Part of the leveling grind is the inability to fly. Hitting max level is rewarded with "Great, you made it on foot! Now you can go back to those places quickly and explore places you missed!"

Instead, if I were to be without flying, it would be "What is the bare minimum travel I need to do to get better gear than I have. Is it LFR? I guess I'll do LFR. Is it Oqueue flex? Guess it's Oqueue flex for me."

Notice I said minimum travel, not minimum effort.
03/13/2014 01:59 PMPosted by Kaliya

AKA the most convenient method. Neth said in his last post that they want us to get around in the most convenient way possible, which I think we can all agree is flying (unless they did give us teleportation to anywhere in the game regardless of class). Running somewhere on your ground mount and getting dazed and knocked off is not convenient.

Inconvenience? I'm playing a game. Whatever knocked me off my mount, be it a mob or player character,its gonna die, or I might die. Who knows, But at least I'm having fun. Not rushing from point A to point B to Farm X so I can get Z today, right now ... gimme gimme gimme!!!

Maybe all these Pandaren saying "Slow Down" are trying to tell us gamers something.
03/13/2014 02:02 PMPosted by Innardsdecay
Except you can't "not fly" when the world is designed for you to fly. It forces you to fly or just makes you gimp yourself for no reason if you choose not to. If the world isn't designed to be freely flown through, then you don't have that problem.

ok, where in mop can you not get to with out flying? I know none of my alts have flying.

The pandaren spirit pet tamers for one.
03/13/2014 02:04 PMPosted by Hammercraft
Why do people act like the minute WoD hits people be falling out of the air in the Vale?

It's a new zone where you can't fly, at first. In this sense it's virtually the same thing as everything else has ever been.

Because the response was clearly to someone who wanted to be able to fly in WoD from the get go? And that the whole topic du jour is flying in WoD content?
03/13/2014 01:54 PMPosted by Dawnstríke
Please explain to me how "no flying at ship, we'll see how it goes" does not indicate considering the possibility of never introducing flight?
I'd also like an explanation how it presupposes that flying won't be introduced BEFORE the 6.1 (as previously indicated). "We'll see how it goes" could just as easily point to early flying -- if things don't "go as planned".

We have no idea what the details are of what's coming. Something within the game (storyline maybe?) might well explain why flying doesn't/can't happen before the first patch. But... if player reaction is negative enough, they might allow flying earlier than the 1st patch to alleviate the s%^tstorm.

It could go either way and those having ChickenLittlegasms over this are being... well, I was going to say stupid... but stupid would be offended.
03/13/2014 02:06 PMPosted by Leladin
That's what is likely to happen in WoD, has been the game plan for months, and has not been reasonably communicated as something that's going to change.

Honestly Im more mad at Siabi for even talking about it (Twitter is not the venue to handle such obviously important messages) and then Blizzard sitting with there thumbs up their !@# for 3 days without being clear on the game plan. It sounds like you're fine with the game plan of "no flying in the most current content only" and are looking for an assurance that that is, in fact, the plan. Am I correct?

Entirely. I understand their argument that they don't want current content to be trivialized by the fact people can simply fly over mobs; which is why the MoP model was a relatively elegant solution. When that content ceases being relevant, however, there's no reason to hassle players any further.
03/13/2014 11:48 AMPosted by Nethaera
I just wanted to take a moment to reiterate that constructive feedback is great –we love it– and also to reemphasize that our goal is not to make it take longer to travel from zone to zone. We're not looking to make things inconvenient or a big time sink, we want to make sure that you're getting where you need to go in as convenient of a way as we possibly can. We said this much at BlizzCon already and that still holds true.

We will do our best to keep everyone as up to date on ongoing developments as we can.

My concern is that there is so much focus on "exploration" of the new zones that I think the devs have forgotten that it's not exploration the 20th time you've been somewhere. It's a chore at that point if you are trying to accomplish something specific and you have to take a roundabout route to get there. I'm also quite concerned that they cited the isle of thunder as an example of success, when in fact that was a wretched miserable place to be once you had been there. The mobs were so densely packed that you really couldn't even stop anywhere on the island except in the quest NPC areas. It was difficult to hearth or disengage from combat if you needed to step away from the keyboard for a minute or two, and wow certainly doesn't have a pause button. It might have been exciting for the first visit to the island, but weeks later not only was it no longer fun, but it was downright annoying. And games aren't meant to be intentionally annoying to their users. So while I understand what the devs are thinking, I respectfully suggest that they are trying to force their version of 'fun' onto people who don't share their opinions, and I believe ultimately this is to the detriment of the enjoyment of the game for the average user.

That, and isn't it a little silly to be giving people a new collector's edition raven mount and then telling them they can't fly around any of the new zones on it for several months?
03/13/2014 02:07 PMPosted by Pretzles
Inconvenience? I'm playing a game. Whatever knocked me off my mount, be it a mob or player character,its gonna die, or I might die. Who knows, But at least I'm having fun. Not rushing from point A to point B to Farm X so I can get Z today, right now ... gimme gimme gimme!!!

Maybe all these Pandaren saying "Slow Down" are trying to tell us gamers something.

It's entirely within your power to slow down if you wish. What you are asking for is -your- preferred method to become the most efficient method, which is petty in the extreme.