No Flying in WOD, terrible

General Discussion
Prev 1 39 40 41 126 Next
03/13/2014 02:14 PMPosted by Krugarr
"Most people don't give a crap about whether they can fly or not"

Most people don't give a crap on whether or not they can fly, these forums are not a good indicator of the opinion of the general population and they never have been.

- hundreds of threads on the subject, many locked/deleted

Of course there are a hundred threads about it. The forums exist for people to complain. Hell the forums exist so that Customer Service can shovel off peoples complaints about the game into a single place that CS never has to read. Many are locked/deleted because they're redundant and all say the same thing.

- in-game trade talking about it everyday

There's in-game trade talking about Ukraine, the 9/11 conspiracy, and Obama being in league with Putin to dismantle America every day too. Does that mean that most people care about those things? Because some clowns in trade chat decided that's what they wanted to talk about at the time? Get real.

- you personally being in all the threads saying that it should stay

You accuse me of being personally in every single one of what you claim are hundreds of threads on the subject and arguing that no flying until 6.1 should stay when most of my appearances in the 3 threads I've been in are cursory mocking people at best? And YOU'RE asking ME if I read what I type? L M F A O 10/10 would read again.
Also why do people keep saying flying mounts ruined world pvp and made it easier to camp people?

I know my mid-70s priest was made in Wrath and got camped by level 80s with no chance of escape because they would group up to kill me and lolguards.

Then I was able to fly in Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor.

Then my priest was playable on the underdog population of that server.

The only people who blame flying mounts for ruining world PvP are griefers, and the opinion of one of those, as far as I'm concerned, is meaningless.
03/13/2014 02:20 PMPosted by Aberzombie

Cata, Deepholm; most of the zone cann't be reached w/o flying.

Crazy to think, but if they go through with a no-flying Dreanor, I don't think they're stupid enough to put in stuff you literally wont be able to reach.
The butt hurt is strong in this thread.
We've had no flying at the beginning of almost every expansion, and I have to say I like it that way. Do I think we should have an expansion without flying? No, but not because I'm whiny or feel entitled.
In my eyes, the start of an expansion should be where you appreciate the world around you while you cut through the quests - Jade Forest is ten times as impressive when you roam through the trees and underbrush on the ground, rather than flying over it and seeing nothing but a sea of green. However, there is another level of beauty that comes from rising into the sky over a zone for the first time and seeing it from a whole new perspective.
Flight is something I feel adds to an expansion, but it shouldn't be given at the start. I felt much more detached from most of the Cataclysm zones by just flying/swimming over them.
I want to feel the primal grit and chill of Frostfire by walking along the dangerous cliff faces, I want to admire the serenity of Shadowmoon Valley from under a thick willow tree by a pond, and I want to see the Spires of Arak rise like giants over my head, and roam the dense jungle of Tanaan. These are moments that lose their value when I can just fly over them.

Give me flying later, but let me explore the wonderful world on foot first, like I have countless times before. The Grand Canyon looks much more amazing from on foot than 30,000 feet up.
03/13/2014 02:20 PMPosted by Killgraft
I dont think they are considering a lack of flying mounts solely for things to be less convenient.

Really? They must be using a different definition of the world "convenient".

It would create a very different kind of gaming environment without flying. And again, we don't know what they're planning.

Why are they trying to change the gaming environment when there is nothing wrong with it, exactly?

That's not illogical, that's someone who disagrees with you. Crazy stuff.

No, it's still pretty illogical.
03/13/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Krugarr

The only people who blame flying mounts for ruining world PvP are griefers, and the opinion of one of those, as far as I'm concerned, is meaningless.

I'm not a greifer, but I think a lack of flying mounts and proper tuning of CRZ ratios would make World PvP a lot more fair, especially for people leveling.
03/13/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Mork

You seem like a very bitter person. Why is this? It has to be something more than people complaining on the forums.

I have an exceptionally low tolerance for bad arguments and low intelligence; two qualities this forum possesses in mass quantities.

That makes a lot of sense. As you were.
@Leladin, you just argue for the sake of argument. You're basically admitting to this. In all the large threads of people talking about this, that's basically all you've done, and you're still doing it. You can't go, "LOL trade chat just happened to talk about no flying, who cares what they say, doesn't mean they care about it" after going "most people don't care", because it turns out most people do care about the status of flying, whether it stays or goes. Well, you could pretend that this means nobody cares, but then it'd make you an idiot.

But, yeah, I don't think you read what you type. It's like you're only here to antagonize people. Maybe you're not - but that's the impression I get. Maybe it's your communication skills.

Doesn't matter what you think because we're getting what we want nyah nyah! Blizzard favors us not you HA HA!
03/13/2014 02:10 PMPosted by Ghaghzull
03/13/2014 02:08 PMPosted by Lubricious
That, and isn't it a little silly to be giving people a new collector's edition raven mount and then telling them they can't fly around any of the new zones on it for several months?

they can walk on ground you know....

Yes, I often see flocks of ravens galloping across the plains. Oh wait, no I don't. Because that would be silly.
03/13/2014 02:24 PMPosted by Killgraft

I'm not a greifer, but I think a lack of flying mounts and proper tuning of CRZ ratios would make World PvP a lot more fair, especially for people leveling.

But most people don't give two !@#$s about World PvP.

This argument from you PvPers is getting incredibly frustrating.
03/13/2014 09:57 AMPosted by Nethaera
This is pretty true. You couldn't get flying in Outland until you reached maximum level and bought the skill. Wrath of the Lich King you couldn't fly right away either. The same recently for Mists of Pandaria in which until you reached the maximum level to get the ability to do so. This is not new for an expansion to not allow flying immediately upon entering into a new expansion

I can't comment on Outland nor Wrath since I wasn't playing the game at the time.
But in MoP, if you check my achievement, you'll note that I dinged to level 90 the Sunday after release. I picked up flying skill pretty much the same day. This includes the 2 days I didn't play because of the rotocopter from hell mission that essentially blocked any progression into MoP for the alliance side.

So waiting 2.5 days to get flying is COMPLETELY different from waiting 2+ months for the content patch to drop for flying.

Meaning if you use the same mechanism in WoD as you did in MoP, I doubt anyone would even blink an eye. This new idea of yours to force people to "experience" the content means nothing more than an artificial way for you to funnel players to play the game they way you think it should be played. And that's the objection.

If your game content isn't compelling enough to attract players on it's own merit, then you should be fixing the content, not impose artificial gates to make players go through it.

I don't care how "convenient" you plan on making flight paths, the reality is it will never be as convenient as me just summoning my flying mount and randomly exploring the game world. That's something I did a LOT of during MoP before 5.1 dropped.

This will do nothing more than encourage me, until 6.1 drops to just sit in my Garrion, to queue for LFD, for LFR and step out just for my guild's raids. You will be SHRINKING the game world for me since I don't want to have to waste time running across the same useless trash mobs that I've already seen just to reach some part of the map that I haven't explored.

It will have the opposite effect than what you're trying to achieve.
03/13/2014 02:23 PMPosted by Dawnstríke
03/13/2014 02:20 PMPosted by Killgraft
I dont think they are considering a lack of flying mounts solely for things to be less convenient.

Really? They must be using a different definition of the world "convenient".

It would create a very different kind of gaming environment without flying. And again, we don't know what they're planning.

Why are they trying to change the gaming environment when there is nothing wrong with it, exactly?

That's not illogical, that's someone who disagrees with you. Crazy stuff.

No, it's still pretty illogical.

Because Dreanor isnt Pandaria, and if an entire collection of zones and an entire expansion is going to be designed with a lack of flying in mind, then why do things necessarily have to take hours and hours longer to do? Games can be changed and tweaked; WoD isnt going to be MoP, and ill agree with you very quickly that flying is needed for Pandaria because of how it, and the expansion, were designed.

But I suppose it must be illogical to trust a team of seasoned developers over some dude on a forum.
03/13/2014 02:28 PMPosted by Killgraft
Because Dreanor isnt Pandaria, and if an entire collection of zones and an entire expansion is going to be designed with a lack of flying in mind, then why do things necessarily have to take hours and hours longer to do? Games can be changed and tweaked; WoD isnt going to be MoP, and ill agree with you very quickly that flying is needed for Pandaria because of how it, and the expansion, were designed.

But I suppose it must be illogical to trust a team of seasoned developers over some dude on a forum.

Because the developers are far, far from infallible. I point to the level 90 talents for Mages as an example.
03/13/2014 09:57 AMPosted by Nethaera
That said, the developers are also aware of the concerns that people may have about how easy or difficult it will be to get around to the various locations. They have said before that they want to still provide convenient ways for people to still travel without minimizing the impact on exploration within the zones. As always, we welcome constructive feedback and discussion provided it's kept constructive. We'll also continue to keep an eye on things not only within beta (when that occurs) but also when we go live to see just how people truly end up playing and interacting.

I quite honestly believe that removing flying will be a major, major downside to selling Warlords of Draenor. At least for myself personally.

I am sorry to you and your developers, as great as they are and the content they put out. I really, really do enjoy it (otherwise, hell, I wouldn't be here for half as long as I have been.) But I am sorry, no. Do not remove my flying mounts. No matter how amazing and breath taking the game is from the ground, it is far more breath taking in the skies. That first moment of each expansion when I take off from the ground, after having searched every nook and cranny I am able to find through the ground explorations of mine personally, is an amazing moment in each expansion for me. Taking that away is taking away part of the Soul that World of Warcraft has for me now.

You can make Flight Paths easier by making them more narrow. You can get me to fight mobs on the ground by making the dismount and daze 100%. You can funnel me in to Garrisons and have it mandatory for story progression.

I do not honestly care about much of that. What I do care about more than any of that is my flying mounts and how the Blizzard Team is attempting to remove them from the game. I am sorry, no.

@Edit:

I am fine with the original intent to gate Flying behind a 'mini-legendary-esque' train of quests. I am fine with that. But the blatant removal of the skill entire from the expansion? Sorry, no. I'd rather not pick up the box.